Biloxi schooner by Russ - FINISHED - 1/48 scale - POB

Sherry:

Thanks. I agree, so long as we do not look too closely. :)

Martin:

Thanks. I wish I could find more time, but sometimes it is not there. I am hoping to lay a little more deck this evening.

Alfons:

Thanks for those kind words. I hope mine can at least come close to matching your fine schooner.

Russ

Russ this thing looks great. I can't believe how much time this takes. My name is Frank Trochesset My great great grandfather Martin Fountain built the American Girl and my great great grandfather Jean Victor Trochesset Owned it . I have a few pictures of the boat and would like to know if you might have any pic or info that you may be willing to send me copy of? I grew up at the family's Boat Yard in Galveston Tx and have several pics of the sawed framed cypress hull boats that where built there most where shrimp trawlers. Years ago I saw several pictures of the American Girl and the Cup that was won. But after my Grandfather passed the pictures can't be found. So if you have any info where I might find any or know someone that I can talk to that may have them it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Frank:

Thanks for the kind words.

I have sent you a PM with my email contact. Shoot me an email and let's talk. I have all of the history of the American Girl and I will be happy to share the paperwork. I also have some photos of her, but I am always looking for more.

As for how much time it takes, I am notoriously slow about my model building. I am sure others would have the time to spend on this and would crank it out in a few months. Not my style really and even if it were, I just do not seem to the time to spare on some days.

Russ

Here is another small update. I had some time to solder up the chainplates tonight. There are ten total. Each has an eye soldered in its upper end and is drilled for two wires that will fasten it to the hull.

Here is a photo of a dry fit. Never mind the wires, they will eventually be glued in and cut off. Also, the chainplate will be cut shorter, just below the bottom wire. That will happen only just before final installation. The rail is notched for the chainplate to lay flat against the hull and there will be a wooden cap fixed along the outer edge of the rail to help secure the chainplates upper part.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

deadeyes.jpg

chainplate assembly.jpg

chainplate mounted side.jpg

deadeyes and chainplates.jpg

Edited by russ

Good work Russ. I am looking forward to seeing the end result.

In your first picture, it appears as the main rail was damaged, but if I understand you right the wooden cap will cover this.

Kepp up the good work.

/Alfons

Current Build: Gloucester Fishing Schooner - Blue Jacket - Scale 1:48

Next Project: Riva Aquamarine - Amati

Alfons:

Yep, there was a little tear out in the rail. That will require a little filler, but when the cap is on and everything is painted, it will be invisible.

Russ

Sam:

Thanks for the kind words. The soldering job here was actually only competently done. There are others around this site who are far neater and more expert than I. :)

I painted the waterways, inner bulwarks, and railings before I began the deck planking to avoid having to mask that area. I want a natural deck and crisp line along the curve of the deck against the painted surface. So far, it is working out well. This reminds me that now the weather is a bit better, I can paint the port side railing and the stern railing bfore I lay any more deck plank. :)

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

This past week, I got a little more decking done and I also added the rubrail along the sides of the hull. This is a 1/32" square piece that follows the line of the planking.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

post-164-0-64866600-1391911152_thumb.jpg

John:

Thanks. As cold as it has been, it was a challenge getting them on before the glue dried. :)

Russ

Alfons:

Thanks. I will post a pic of the deck when I get the planking completed. Right now it is just one small plank after another. :)

Russ

Hi Russ, some nice updates.  That last photo really shows off her lines to great effect - what a little beauty!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks. These schooners were very beautiful indeed. Credit Martin Fountain Sr. for this particular design. He was a master builder back then.

Russ

Really nicely done!!   Looks like a real nice ship and should be a beauty when finished.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Adam:

Thanks. It looks fine so long as you do not look too close. :)

Russ

looking good Russ.....the bow lines are very nice  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks. She has a nice sheer line and I hope that the planking will still be apparent after the paint work.

Russ

Here are some photos of the completed deck planking.

I have given the deck its first scraping and it looks pretty good so far. The last outboard planks on both sides are not glued in. The fit was good enough that once they fitted, I could not get them out to apply glue.

Russ

post-164-0-00781400-1392452741_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-95082400-1392452756_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-95086900-1392452769_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on finishing the deck planking Russ it looks very good.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Sherry, Sam, Michael and all who "liked":

Thanks for the kind words. It is much appreciated.

Sam, I seriously doubt I will need to do anything about those last planks. They are in there to stay. I have done this before and never had any issues with the wood moving that much. In any event, the deck will eventually get a clear sealer of some sort and that will settle the matter.

Russ