Talk on Missouri River steamboat design & history, March 9, 2021

Cathead

For anyone who might be interested, I'll be giving the following talk in a few weeks:

1608705642_ReutersteamboattalkMRR.jpeg_001.jpeg.302cbcc57d2443e4de3aa269d90ead78.jpeg

Steamboats symbolize a historic era in Missouri River exploration, commerce and transportation. Missouri River steamboats evolved over time, becoming ever more adapted to the basin’s unique environment while simultaneously altering it, much like an invasive species introduced into a new ecosystem. In this presentation, Eric Reuter will use hand-made scale models of Missouri River steamboats and other vessels to discuss the linked history of steamboat development and environmental changes in the Missouri basin, drawing on his professional and personal interests in the links between geology, ecology, history, and land management.

Specific information, including how to watch, is available here. The time is 7 pm American Central time.

Edited by Cathead

Sounds very interesting. Count me in. Headed to register now.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Eric,

Having modeled the Missouri River boat FAR WEST, I am interested in this topic.  Unfortunately I have another event at the same time.  Will this be available for streaming on YouTube after the event?

1960537691_FARWEST.thumb.JPG.33f584c944d4e66a8b873ec5809d4922.JPG

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck, great question, as far as I know the talk will be placed online afterward. If for some reason that's not the case, I'll make sure you can see it somehow (for example, I have a draft recording I made for a couple of NRG/MSW experts who were gracious enough to review it ahead of time).

Thankee.  I appreciate it.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 2 weeks later...

Great talk!  And thank you for mentioning the NRG and MSW.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Eric,

Please let us know when this can be viewed online.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

OK, the talk is up on YouTube: 

The actual talk is about an hour, there's some dead-time lead-in, followed by a long Q&A and a video tour of the models at the end.

Eric,

Great presentation.  Many thanks.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Watched the whole presentation on Wednesday evening. Very good and eloquent. Good to see another geologist at work here and putting the technological development into its socio-economic, cultural, resource geology and ecological context. Really appreciated it.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this presentation. I grew up near Fort Benton, MT and now live south of KC, so I have always have had a strong interest in steamboat history and technology.  

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex