No fool like an old left handed fool

I've been using a tablesaw for hobbies on and off for 50 years and I never felt comfortable using one. I was looking at the saw today and it dawned on me. If I lower The blade and slide the fence over to the other side the saw becomes left handed. What  a treat! Now every thing feels right. Something you righties might not think about is how lefties go through their lives making right handed stuff work. Because of that I never even gave a tablesaw a second thought. Now I just have to make sure I don't get too comfortable. After 73 years I've still got all ten fingers and I'd like to keep it that way.

OMG. I’ve had a few of those moments...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Not to speak about a regular carpenters workbench... designed for right-handed people. You could of course build your own like Mark (Sjsoane), but that is taking it to another level. 

I've trained my right side so I practically can do almost everything that way. It does not feel that comfortable though. Apart from brushing ones teeth hadn planing is the hardest. Especially edges and bevels.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Welcome to the "Old Left-Handed Fool Club", Don.  I'm semi-ambidextrous due to being pushed to be right-handed as a kid.  But somethings besides writing are better left-handed.   Now if I just find a left-handed monkey wrench......

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I went to Catholic school in the 1960s, where I guess it was better than in earlier decades. The nuns didn't stop me from writing with my left hand, as they did with my grandfather, but woe betide the lefty who blessed themselves with their south paw.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Now if I just find a left-handed monkey wrench

Don't know about that but the kids won't use my hand saws, nor my hammer. They swear that they all have a slight left bias which is probably correct when you think about it!

Rick