Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

4 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

I defer to your assessment.   You’ve been working on her for far more years then me. 
Perception is everything. Your advice to Vlad is sound.  Thanks for hearing me.  

Rob

Rob, as long as meticulous accuracy is our mutual goal, we are all benefactors of our collaboration. I appreciate your deference but it's not to me personally as it's more to the clarity of the wondrous documents Michael Mjelde has shared with us. I also note that your correction of my sketches made for a better proportioned figurehead too.

12 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Dear Folks

i decided to postpone figurehead. :( as chaotic as I am, i maek sure your effort to help wont wane as I will return to it rpetty much all the time, but i do t want any result shorter of spectacular, so i decided opposite route. - to make or have madevinstall figurehead last. 

i decided to pain boat forst and install laser cut  bow ornamentals , nameboard, paint waterway ...i contacted my laser guy and i am sure you will much love this chapter .

something about painting. im going to apoly thin coat of dark liberon shellac on her to keep or prevent raising of  grain as much as possible and over the top i will apply fiebing black leather Dye for balc kcoat. ´aybe some wax on the top. 

i believe all moldings are black as well at this point only top cover of fancy rail is white. 

Rich is entire sheerline white on 1869 ? or even golden? Thank you very much for that.

i have to istall first those rails holding rope blocks ...

going to it. 

V. 

Vladimir from what I can tell, the entire sheerline is black. As I've said before, only from her 1869 PEM scene of GLORY on the Ways, it does appear like the carved arch work of the Naval Hoods could be gold embellished, which would echo that of the carved arch on the Cutwater below. 

If you decide to get your figurehead 3D printed, remind them that there's an actual hole created between 'Athene' herself and her flowing toga behind her. It's clearly visible in the Port view. While subtile it's also there in the Starboard one. Most dramatic is the Port silhouette I shared earlier today with Rob.

6 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir from what I can tell, the entire sheerline is black. As I've said before, only from her 1869 PEM scene of GLORY on the Ways, it does appear like the carved arch work of the Naval Hoods could be gold embellished, which would echo that of the carved arch on the Cutwater below. 

If you decide to get your figurehead 3D printed, remind them that there's an actual hole created between 'Athene' herself and her flowing toga behind her. It's clearly visible in the Port view. While subtile it's also there in the Starboard one. Most dramatic is the Port silhouette I shared earlier today with Rob.

Thanks Rich. much apreciated. im noway near to 3 D printing her. id have to 3d draw her first myself - i would not pay for it. looks likeley in winter time when i have more time sitting behind pc.  :) 

1 hour ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir it's your baby, your project. Go at whatever pace you feel most comfortable at. By the way, enclosing the fancy rail at the Bow looks very clean. Completing that process across the rest of your vessel will be enough to keep you occupied for a while too. 

Yeah....I agree.  Just because I'm some sorta rabid energizer twitchy squirrel who only knows how to work at *Ludicrous Speed*, no need to feel compelled to try and keep pace.  No body deserves that kinda pressure.  Real or imagined.

Heading into winter, means more time inside.

You're exactly where you need to be.  Painting (In the fashion you described) and coppering will fill your days.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

6 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks Rich. much apreciated. im noway near to 3 D printing her. id have to 3d draw her first myself - i would not pay for it. looks likeley in winter time when i have more time sitting behind pc.  :) 

I know a couple of guys who 3-D print and to create your own custom printing you need a good 3-D drawing in a supporting software not some off the shelf drawing.  And that in of itself, is a task,  not for the faint of heart.

Love to see all this when it happens.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

5 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Yeah....I agree.  Just because I'm some sorta rabid energizer twitchy squirrel who only knows how to work at *Ludicrous Speed*, no need to feel compelled to try and keep pace.  No body deserves that kinda pressure.  Real or imagined.

Heading into winter, means more time inside.

You're exactly where you need to be.  Painting (In the fashion you described) and coppering will fill your days.

Rob

no worries Folks, i know myself i rather dont work when I feel i have enough or i dont feel enjoyment of it. When there is something to post i will but its clear that i wanted to complete hull in one pace of intensive work  which was done so i will be slow from now on. if not i would have worked on itfor months. its also clear there is muxh more tedious work by nature of built process i follow and size as Rob has to endure so im not trying to keep with Rob in any means. things are moving on slower or faster depends on mood. i will have less time now sure. but everythings fine :)  yes painting and copper plates, and stern decorative rail will be what i will try to finish up to end of year. :)  

We're here with ya Vlad.  We'll enjoy whatever you update us with.

I had a slow weekend myself since we had all 5 of the grandkids over to spend the night... 6,5,4,3,2....what an exhausting weekend.

See ya.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

13 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

We're here with ya Vlad.  We'll enjoy whatever you update us with.

I had a slow weekend myself since we had all 5 of the grandkids over to spend the night... 6,5,4,3,2....what an exhausting weekend.

See ya.

Rob

Rob i mistakenly posted Updates  to your Topic. Sorry for that deleted. 

Finally i moved on after some time. Here IS the progress. Few Minor discrepancies from original to more heqdache to nitpickers :)) , Columns, but what i have ať home. Its easiest thing to swap any year....

But to ease their minds -  :))) At least fancyrail IS solid All throughout now :)) . IT was pain to do....

Making nameboards myself now, so no laser on those. 

Now to make catheads and She IS ready to take a coat..thank you for watching... V. 

IMG_20210824_153057.jpg

IMG_20210824_153046.jpg

IMG_20210824_153017.jpg

IMG_20210824_152717.jpg

IMG_20210824_152704.jpg

IMG_20210824_152157.jpg

IMG_20210824_152141.jpg

IMG_20210824_152102.jpg

IMG_20210824_152049.jpg

IMG_20210824_152036.jpg

IMG_20210824_152032.jpg

IMG_20210824_151942.jpg

IMG_20210824_151012.jpg

IMG_20210824_150959.jpg

IMG_20210824_150943.jpg

IMG_20210824_150909.jpg

IMG_20210824_144318.jpg

IMG_20210824_144313.jpg

IMG_20210824_144156.jpg

IMG_20210824_144132.jpg

IMG_20210819_150556.jpg

IMG_20210819_150903.jpg

IMG_20210819_152520.jpg

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

Fantastic work Vlad.....just wonderful.  What was your final measurements for the fore, main, mizzen channels?

Love your poop rail stanchions....super job.  Did you pin them?

I plan on making the rail itself first then adding the stanchions under it.  but first the channels.  I am working currently on the chain plates.

Your progress is just amazing and I like that you filled in the topgallant rail.   So many small details to keep track of.  Many eyes are helpful for sure.

Impressive....impressive indeed.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

2 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Fantastic work Vlad.....just wonderful.  What was your final measurements for the fore, main, mizzen channels?

Love your poop rail stanchions....super job.  Did you pin them?

I plan on making the rail itself first then adding the stanchions under it.  but first the channels.  I am working currently on the chain plates.

Your progress is just amazing and I like that you filled in the topgallant rail.   So many small details to keep track of.  Many eyes are helpful for sure.

Impressive....impressive indeed.

Rob

Thank you Rob, I calcualted channel size from our given photographs, simply  by comparing distance between main and mizzen of photo and compared from there length of channel  - starting from mast and calculated scale  ratio. im not sure nowvi will measure it tomorrow. they are about 13 centimeters,  mizzen being smaller - around 10 cm. im glad you fancy those stanchions. those are just upper parts of some bigger rails i had in plenty for cutty sark and I cut off from those to make this pattern. yes i pinned them there was hole so i glued wire into it and predrilled hole to the rail so i could srick it and glue. I must say i would rather love stanchions fully deepened into rail properly, it would be just more authentic and better but those should be at least similar to original pattern....its little fakey this way but im glad overall. top of that stanchions is to be made.. v. 

Vladimir, I need to look in more often to be able to keep up with you. Your progress is wonderful and impressive. Filling in the fancy rail must have been a pain but it looks much cleaner and more historically accurate. Your channels also look impressive and cleanly installed. The poop deck stanchions look ever so much like little soldiers, very cool.

Vladimir, this is a time where you may not welcome my input. Maybe this falls under "rivet counting". If so, I apologize in advance. Your freeing ports look very nicely done. Unfortunately to be technically accurate to the real Ship, these would all be flush with the Hull, not sitting on it as you have done so far. They're actually cut out and hinged just like gun ports on HMS Victory, for instance. Hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to cut out the openings to inset your ports.

19 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, this is a time where you may not welcome my input. Maybe this falls under "rivet counting". If so, I apologize in advance. Your freeing ports look very nicely done. Unfortunately to be technically accurate to the real Ship, these would all be flush with the Hull, not sitting on it as you have done so far. They're actually cut out and hinged just like gun ports on HMS Victory, for instance. Hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to cut out the openings to inset your ports.

Thanks Rich, its no problém at All...Well here we come to modeling thing I cant do it proper way meaning let those  inside. 

First, planks around are just 1 mm wide glued over stanchions. I would destroy Boat. And second, i could have just mimic those cutting bizzare thin line over planks. That would be probably truer as those are flush with bulwarks...

But i decided those to be Seen Also with hinges as they are pictured even in books etc. I could have Made them with paper or so... Its not wrecking enegance ofvline fór me, speaking those Will be náreky visible as painted black. So Stuck inside would be not visible ať All - but IT IS not doable on my Boat. Strakes around are thinnest i have on Boat. Even Motoring holes šéfe pain to drill not to break those little strakes as i had to undergo with tape fór protection . ... :)  i did macro shot so IT looks way thicker than from half meter..anyway thanks for input Rich - as always !  ! I will try to think it over again if better to scrape those and leave clean ride of the wales or leave them as they are.... .V. 

Add

17 minutes ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks Rich, its no problém at All...Well here we come to modeling thing I cant do it proper way meaning let those  inside. 

First, planks around are just 1 mm wide glued over stanchions. I would destroy Boat. And second, i could have just mimic those cutting bizzare thin line over planks. That would be probably truer as those are flush with bulwarks...

But i decided those to be Seen Also with hinges as they are pictured even in books etc. I could have Made them with paper or so... Its not wrecking enegance ofvline fór me, speaking those Will be náreky visible as painted black. So Stuck inside would be not visible ať All - but IT IS not doable on my Boat. Strakes around are thinnest i have on Boat. Even Motoring holes šéfe pain to drill not to break those little strakes as i had to undergo with tape fór protection . ... :)  i did macro shot so IT looks way thicker than from half meter..anyway thanks for input Rich - as always !  ! I will try to think it over again if better to scrape those and leave clean ride of the wales or leave them as they are.... .V. 

31 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Rich I will try to make them paper thin so they look flush with hull . will be truer. 

Vladimir, well done on the freeing ports, that looks much more accurate. It also has the added benefit of making the entire Hull look larger, true to scale. Thanks for not biting my head off for pointing that out. 

Another detail which is part of Glory's poop deck railing is the curved wrought iron end piece, which adds a unique look to these poop rails.  

20210508_052824.jpg

My oh my …….Vlad.  Great work.  Love the mods to the ports.  

Great job on the railing too.    You’re clipping along.  Fine work.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Thanks a lot for encouraging comments folks. Rich knows my tendency of flying away sometimes :), so i have to Keep trying harder to stay as true AS possible... i continue experimentnting and finding a new ways of how to build with really small things...

I Don have proper tools and miniatures files. But i Guess i Will have to INVEST into some as im already tried of Using toothsticks tips rounder with sanding paper. But IT Works anyway ! So probably i Will Stick with IT :)

IMG_20210827_094247.jpg

IMG_20210827_094255.jpg

IMG_20210827_094309.jpg

IMG_20210827_094417.jpg

IMG_20210827_095401.jpg

IMG_20210827_095345.jpg

IMG_20210827_095435.jpg

IMG_20210827_095405.jpg

IMG_20210827_095939.jpg

IMG_20210827_101740.jpg

IMG_20210827_103805.jpg

IMG_20210827_104933.jpg

IMG_20210827_110443.jpg

IMG_20210827_110519.jpg

IMG_20210827_110906.jpg

IMG_20210827_110908.jpg

IMG_20210827_110931.jpg

IMG_20210827_112501.jpg

Add

Everything is looking smart Vlad...your nameboards are looking amazing.

Funny..my nameboards are about half your size.  I'm surprised 1/72 is so different in scale to 1/96.

One reason I think I prefer 1/96 is that finer details can be *blured*, if you desire...and if you're like me, you prefer to tackle them.   Plus, space is at a premium.  since you are not masting your model...you have more options for display.  but if you did mast her...you'll need an entire wall space to display her.  I just don't have that kinda space myself.

Your progressing very fast and I'm quite impressed...great job.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Vladimir I particularly like this view of your Glory which demonstrates her lovely sheer and really shows how long her 70' poop deck actually was. It gets lost when the 45' rear carriage house with it's own deck railings is incorporated.

If you don't mind another observation, you ended your poop railing with an awkward looking cut off. If you look carefully at the image with wrought iron end piece, you'll see if is rounded much like the channels are. Otherwise, this is absolutely beautiful work.

IMG_20210826_165454.jpg.2b6310fc148df17b1b82583c22ab2329.jpg

IMG_20210826_183023.jpg.089339fe91400d5a12b77483e7718ab1.jpg

3 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Everything is looking smart Vlad...your nameboards are looking amazing.

Funny..my nameboards are about half your size.  I'm surprised 1/72 is so different in scale to 1/96.

One reason I think I prefer 1/96 is that finer details can be *blured*, if you desire...and if you're like me, you prefer to tackle them.   Plus, space is at a premium.  since you are not masting your model...you have more options for display.  but if you did mast her...you'll need an entire wall space to display her.  I just don't have that kinda space myself.

Your progressing very fast and I'm quite impressed...great job.

Rob

Thanks Rob, yeah Im finishing outer Works ahead of painting inner side white blue and outer to be oil dyed black with dye. IT should come by monday.  Im looking fwd to IT but first i have to try Sample and repair some damaged parts of moldings. Than i Will stand her on temporary stand so She wont nové or damage anymore...i see youre going with masts now interesting. I thought houses first..

.:) Good luck 

her. :) I had to sand a bit from them ( nameboards) to fit between moldings though...