Trying to see if there are other options..to pay for large kits on a payment plan

I want to get one of the bigger models like the San Felipe for when I feel I can eventually do the model. I want it but I'm having a hard time finding it with any kind of payment plan involved. I dont really have 1000 dollars laying around and I'm not the most well to do when it comes to income. Is there anywhere besides like PayPal credit and crapbay (my name for ebay) where its possible to get plans like that where I pay a certain per month?. 

https://www.model-space.com/gb/build-the-san-felipe.html

This link is from Model-space. The kit comes in a payment plan type thing, They sent a portion of the kit every month.

Hi Robp1025,

I don't know of anyone who has a payment plan. The closest is to use a credit card and pay that off over time.

However, OcCre makes a few big kits that you can buy in parts. They're not as ornate as the San Felipe, but you can buy the "packs", as they call them, as you need them.

They have the Spanish 74s San Ildefonso and Montañes, which were both at Trafalgar, the 3-decker Santisima Trinidad, which was also at Trafalgar, and the 50-gun ship Nuestra Señora del Pilar, an early 18th century Spanish treasure ship. All of these are big kits. 

Hope that helps.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

10 minutes ago, BenD said:

https://www.model-space.com/gb/build-the-san-felipe.html

This link is from Model-space. The kit comes in a payment plan type thing, They sent a portion of the kit every month.

This is interesting. Every time I've checked Model-Space over the past several months, they've been out of stock on just about everything. Nice to see some of their part kit subscriptions available again.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Ahoy, Why don't  you give Rick at Modeler's Workshop a call? He has the large Cladercraft/Jotika kits in stock and would probly be happy to work something out with you.He's in Canada and ships to the US all the time. 514-973-7741.

Keith

may be able to help you

You say "eventually", implying not any time soon, so why not just start saving for the model now and buy it when you're actually ready to build it? Why try to find credit for something you can't afford and aren't sure you'll even use? Way too many people buy and hoard kits they don't end up getting around to for various reasons, which is such a waste. If you save up first, you don't lose the money if the kit never happens for some reason. It'll still be available when you're ready, likely even on the secondary market from someone who bought it and never built it. If you can afford, say, $100/mo for 10 months on Paypal (plus whatever interest they charge you), why can't you afford $100/mo into a bank for the same period of time with no extra costs? The key here being "eventually" since that implies you can wait.

Also, asking a retailer for a payment plan if they don't offer one is likely to just be a pain. There's a reason it's not common, having to accept and track many payments (and/or shipments) is a lot more work for the retailer, especially small ones. Maybe someone would be nice and work with you, but it's an inconvenient ask. 

I just noticed that ModelSpace payment plan is 30% more than one time payment..  That is really some ugly interest..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

5 hours ago, Cathead said:

You say "eventually", implying not any time soon, so why not just start saving for the model now and buy it when you're actually ready to build it? Why try to find credit for something you can't afford and aren't sure you'll even use? Way too many people buy and hoard kits they don't end up getting around to for various reasons, which is such a waste. If you save up first, you don't lose the money if the kit never happens for some reason. It'll still be available when you're ready, likely even on the secondary market from someone who bought it and never built it. If you can afford, say, $100/mo for 10 months on Paypal (plus whatever interest they charge you), why can't you afford $100/mo into a bank for the same period of time with no extra costs? The key here being "eventually" since that implies you can wait.

Also, asking a retailer for a payment plan if they don't offer one is likely to just be a pain. There's a reason it's not common, having to accept and track many payments (and/or shipments) is a lot more work for the retailer, especially small ones. Maybe someone would be nice and work with you, but it's an inconvenient ask. 

So a little background on me is my wife is disabled. I'm the sole income for the house and emergencies happen far more than I want to admit. So savings have been a thing I cant really make because I've saved before. And then down payment for surgery is 500 plus need to get different groceries or the car goes down. It's a lot harder then if it was just me but god gave an amazing woman I love to death and would never abandon for anything. 

I'm always a person that plans ahead for when the time comes. While I'm not purchasing the kit now I will have the knowledge for when its time to purchase. So this post is more for information then an immediate need for a kit. I do understand where your coming from though with ppl hoarding kits and it isn't right for people to put so much money out for something that they wont complete. 

I really do like the idea of the pack from OcCre though so you could purchase as you build so if the kit does fall off where you cant do it your not wasting all the money on it. Would love to find others like that. 

Rob,

I have an intact Corel SM23 Victory Kit that would build into a 40" Model, decent size.  I also live in the Philadelphia area.  I'd sell to you for $250, about half of what its worth, it'd save me on the EBAY and shipping fees.   

Joshua 

Do you want to make a model of a big ship or a big model?  SYREN Ship Model Company (MSW Sponsor) offers a semi scratch kit of HMS WINCHELSEA.  It is a frigate but pencils in at 38 inches.  Quality is top notch and instructions are very clear.  Several build logs on the site as well as kit designer, Chuck Pasarro.

The kit is offered in chapters.  You only by the material required for the chapter you are working on at the time.  Check it out.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Rob, I understand where you're coming from. I'm just trying to suggest that the only real difference between buying a $1000 kit through a payment plan and a $1000 kit by saving up for it is (a) the inevitable interest payments on the former, raising its cost even higher when money is already tight, and (b) the delayed gratification from the latter. Either way you're planning to spend $1000 that, by your own statements, is very dear. But it seems that you may have more time than money (since you don't have all the money now but you aren't starting the model any time soon). So why not try to set aside whatever you can so that if/when the time comes for the kit to be a good choice, you're already at least partway there? Unless you have reason to believe you'll have a higher income later? I mean, not to be personal, but if you've found it impossible to maintain savings for things like medical expenses and car repair (which is an all-too common situation and nothing to be ashamed of, you're doing a wonderful thing), are expensive models really in your budget? If it's simply impossible to set aside any money toward a $1000 kit that's a long way off and you don't have reason to think that will change, maybe it's not the most realistic goal? It's a lot harder to turn a half-finished model into medical payments than a half-filled future model savings account (full disclosure, I've been self-employed my whole adult life and am all too familiar with how easily health insurance and/or medical expenses can destroy personal finances).

The third option being to find secondary-market kits that tend to be cheaper, as suggested by others above. My comments are directed at your original question about trying to afford a $1000 kit in your self-described situation. And I think the reason there aren't more subscription options is that it's a lot more work for the manufacturer/seller, which inherently means the price goes up if they bother at all, so you still don't really come out ahead if money is the primary restriction.

5 hours ago, Gregory said:

I just noticed that ModelSpace payment plan is 30% more than one time payment..  That is really some ugly interest..

I think it's partly because they have to make 12 special packages with instructions tailored to them. I guess they also look at the total subscription cost as the regular price, where they give you a nice discount if you just buy them all at once. Saves them all the trouble of keeping track of you and packing each month.

Plus, I imagine they must have to worry about having a bunch of miscellaneous left over stuff from people who cancel early. Everyone gets pack 1, but how many must cancel after about pack 2 or 3 when they realize how much they're spending on a kit they'll never finish?

Rob, 

As far as I know OcCre is about the only company that offers these "buy as you need them" packs, and they are only for the kits I listed. The only other company is Mantua, which offers their big Titanic model in 5 packs (actually, it's the only way it's sold), and the Albatross, which is their small Baltimore clipper kit. Though, I can't for the life of me figure out why they bother to make that one available in parts.

By the way, the OcCre Packs are only about 6-8% more expensive than the full kit. The biggest problem now, is that shipping from Europe has become a lot more expensive, so that drives the costs way up. Maybe by the time you're ready, shipping options will open up again and bring the cost back down a bit. 

Anyway, only you know what's best for you and your situation, so good luck with whatever you do!

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

1 hour ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Do you want to make a model of a big ship or a big model?  SYREN Ship Model Company (MSW Sponsor) offers a semi scratch kit of HMS WINCHELSEA.  It is a frigate but pencils in at 38 inches.  Quality is top notch and instructions are very clear.  Several build logs on the site as well as kit designer, Chuck Pasarro.

The kit is offered in chapters.  You only by the material required for the chapter you are working on at the time.  Check it out.

I actually thought of this as well. The only issue is that I dont have any mill or bigger tools else I would. I would love to try a semi from scratch build. As for your first question I would love to be able to do a bigger ship with details and all. Love the designs and the intricate designs on some of the fancier ships