Retired for the first time !...

Greetings to all,

A member introduced me to the MSW site which interested me a lot and under which I was able to see very beautiful things.

I am a retired computer systems engineer-developer since 1995 from the Eurocopter France Company, currently EADS Helicopters.

I have always been interested in model making without being a very great practitioner and, currently, I model a sailboat and a motor glider under DELFTship to build in cardboard after having tried unsuccessfully to do it under FreeCAD.

La pinque marseillaise

La pinque marseillaise

http://jeanpierre.rousset.free.fr/Modelisme/M_Decoration/bateaux/Pinque/Documentation/La_pinque_la_Fileuse.html

image.jpeg.de6710b009c3a330b2c35037a740955e.jpeg

Le Fournier RF4-D (also modeled with OpenSCAD)

http://jeanpierre.rousset.free.fr/Informatique/Applications/DELFTship/Fournier_FR4-D/Documentation/images/RF4-D_complet.jpg

Of course, a few years ago, I tried the 3D modeler Blender to design a Provençal clock to be made also in cardboard without having been able to put my project into execution despite some preliminary tests which were moreover only moderately encouraging.

image.gif.193f5b9046cc6819dc77243f51dac421.gif

L'horloge provençale

http://jeanpierre.rousset.free.fr/Modelisme/M_Decoration/divers/horloge/horloge_carton/Blender/index.html

I did not persevere with Blender because I find it not at all intuitive. As I stay quite a long time without using it, I have to reform myself each time which is quite painful.

So I remodeled this clock with FreeCAD :

image.jpeg.a791b60dfa46612dd5229d28c2b70c64.jpeg

http://jeanpierre.rousset.free.fr/Modelisme/M_Decoration/divers/horloge/horloge_carton/FreeCAD/Documentation/Virtualisation/index.html

Currently, I am preparing the construction plans for the sailboat and the motor glider with the software 'NanoCAD'. In the end, I am not sure that I am up to what I have seen on this forum and hope to be able to show some achievements with the indulgence of the artists that we meet here.

Best regards

Jean Pierre

Hello Jean Pierre and a warm welcome to MSW from the UK.

Very impressive skills, I am sure your work will raise many questions!

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Jean Pierre, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard. 

Edited by Keith Black

Welcome to Model Ship World Jean Pierre.  It looks like the use of CAD is another highly useful tool in a ship modelers tool box.  I am looking forward to your designs and its applications in modeling.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Jean Pierre; welcome to MSW. It’s a great Forum with a broad array of modelers from beginners who never cut a piece of wood to true master modelers all ready to help each other. Your illustrations are excellent and display your talent. 

if you want to try building a boat or ship just post a  note on the Forum asking for suggestions. There are many kits designed for individuals who have never built any type of model.

Again, welcome aboard. Stay Safe...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Hi Jean Pierre, welcome!   I do quite a bit of CAD myself but I use Autodesk Fusion 360 - it's available for free for hobbyist but I don't think you can export to other formats like STL or IGES with the free version - to export to other formats you need to pay a subscription.   

My Current Builds:

The USS Maine - 1/72 3D printed Armored Cruiser (1889) USS OlympiaUSS TexasUSS New York, HSwMS TapperhetenCerbere 

Ships I am currently designing or have completed in Fusion 360:

German: SMS ScharnhorstSMS Kaiser Sweden: Svea, Gota, & Thule (both early and later versions), Flygia

France: French battleship Charles MartelDupuy de Lôme, Faucon (aviso), United States: USS Katahdin (1894) Ram ship, USS Monteray USS Oregon Japan: Mikasa, Fuso Russia: Izumrud, Novgorod Spain: Pelayo Great Britian: Turbinia (1894) - First ship with Steam TurbineHMS Edinburgh (1882) DenmarkTordenskjold

Ships I intend on designing & building in the future:

French JauréguiberryMassena Bouvet United StatesUSS Virginia USS Brooklyn, USS Minneapolis USS Ericsson
Russian:  Rossiya Peresvet Bayan SlavaTsesarevich 
BrazilRiachuelo SpainEmparador Carlos V

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good evening everyone,

It is from the bottom of my heart that I come to thank you all for all your encouragement and your expressions of welcome.

Indeed, CAD is a valuable tool for designing models which are inspired by existing models generally presented in a succinct manner, for example on the "https://www.pinterest.fr/ " site where the plans are not always geometrically consistent, probably to protect their authors.

Personally, I only use free CAD programs because I don't have a heavy use of them.  I have other activities. For information, if it can be useful, I have :

• for image processing : 'Inkscape "," GIMP ",
  • for 2D processing : "NanoCAD" which replaced "DoubleCAD", "LibreCAD" and an very old "MicroCADAM" that I kept from my activity more than 20 years ago and which served me until this year,
  • for 3D processing : "FreeCAD", "OpenSCAD" (programming), "DELFTship" and "Blender" which only serves me very exceptionally but which I keep anyway.

It's true, it takes time to learn how to use it, even when you are already a little confirmed. Otherwise, there are the pre-printed or die-cut kits.

I hope I can describe my projects. I will probably have some questions about how to build but that won't be until later.

Again a big thank you to all.

Best regards,

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre,  you might have a look here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/34-cad-and-3d-modellingdrafting-plans-with-software/    There's been a lot of conversation about CAD.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard Jean Pierre.   My wife and I LOVE your part of the world.  It is heaven for the senses.   One of our favorite spots is the daily market in Aix.   Best oysters I have ever eaten anywhere in the world, and the melons were the sweetest we ever tasted.   Can't forget the lavender scent in the air!!   

Again, welcome to MSW

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thank you very much Allan,

It is heartwarming to read, me which think that the French poeple don't have a very good reputation abroad.
On the other hand, I would agree with you in considering that France is a beautiful country outside the cities and that one eats very well there in the big depths of the regions. Unfortunately, in busy areas this is not always the case.

So welcome to France for the next time ! ...

Best regards.
Jean Pierre

Thanks Jean Pierre, 

Perhaps one day we can meet and share stories on ship modeling.    We have NEVER had a bad experience in France.  This include Paris, Normandy and the south of France from Marseille to Nice.    My French speaking  is enough to get by, but I am lucky that my wife is fluent in French so when I stumble, when speaking she makes sure I buy one baguette and a little foie gras instead of ten baguettes and the entire goose!!!  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU