Hello from Sunny Florida

Wow! This has been amazing, a bit overwhelming and somewhat intimidating.  A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to start a new hobby and as I grew up on Cape Cod in the 50s and 60s and have always loved sailing, decided to try my hand at building model ships.  I found Model Expo and knowing I know nothing, decided to start with the three from David Antscherl, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Norwegian Pram and Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack.  I started work on the Dory and then discovered a missing sheet of basswood that has stalled the build for a couple of weeks as I wait for them to send it.  While waiting for that, I discovered Model Ship World and have been blown away with the amazing work and dedication I've seen in so many wonderful builds.  I also found Blue Jacket Shipcrafters and have a Swampscott Dory coming from them.  Through years of playing golf and flute I have developed a lot of patience (not one of the virtues I was  born with) and an understanding that not every shot is a great one (so relax) and to achieve excellence in any skill or craft takes time and effort and the opportunity to watch others do what you are hoping to do yourself.  I look forward to exploring more of your builds and most of all, enjoying the journey.

Regards

David     

Welcome to MSW, David.   I would suggest you open a build log on your models as you build them.  It's the best way to meet other builders and also get some help when you need it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard MSW David!!

You choices are extremely well thought out.  So many (including me) start off with a 1st rate ship of the line and struggle for months.    Per the above, do start  a build log and you will  have a lot of help from the membership if you hit a bump in the road.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:piratebo5:

:722972270:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome aboard David. Our Forum is excellent whether you’re a total novice or master shipwright. Help is close at hand and you already have one of the major attributes...patience. ENJOY...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Welcome aboard David. Our Forum is excellent whether you’re a total novice or master shipwright. Help is close at hand and you already have one of the major attributes...patience. ENJOY...Moab

p.s. Any relation to Nathaniel?

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

No relation to Nathaniel that I know of although many of the New England Philbricks dropped in the Boston area and some went up to New Hampshire.  Our line came over in the mid-1600s and one in the family tree was the youngest member of the group of malcontents who pulled off the Boston Tea Party.  Dad explained the family motto, "Don't look back" by saying the Philbricks were a bunch of horse thieves and when you are riding off on someone else's horse it's not a good idea to look back.  It just might have been some wishing they had never left England, though I'm glad they did.  

Welcome to Model Ship World David.  You have taken the right approach to this hobby by purchasing the series of beginner ship model kits designed by David Antscherl.  He is a world class modeler and has taught many ship modeling techniques to ship modelers through his seminars.  I look forward to following your builds.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

41 minutes ago, DPhilbrick said:

Dad explained the family motto, "Don't look back" by saying the Philbricks were a bunch of horse thieves

Ha! My Dad used to tell me that there were train robbers in our family tree. I used to reply that these purported outlaws must not have been very good at their trade, because I never heard of them. Since then, I've done a LOT of genealogy work and even found a few bad apples in the tree, but no train robbers (but I did find two distant cousins that were struck by trains and died on separate occasions -- go figure).

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Ha! My Dad used to tell me that there were train robbers in our family tree. I used to reply that these purported outlaws must not have been very good at their trade, because I never heard of them. 

You never know what will pop up when you start digging.  My dad's sister was desperate to get into the Daughters of the American Revolution but couldn't find anyone who actually fought...the best she could do was a Quaker who gave out water to the guys on the Concord Green that day.  Hey, someone has to supply the troops.