I'm doing some ceiling planking that will never be seen. It has some very minor cracks between the planks from poor fitting. As I'm sanding the dust fills the cracks and it looks great. Is there something I can apply to keep that look or am I better off to blow it all out and mix up some PVA and dust and push it into the cracks? I'm thinking this planking on the inside is good practice for when I get serious(and it can be seen).

I'd go with the PVA and sawdust routine. Although, having looked at what you've done so far with the frames on your first time out, I can't understand how the planking isn't fitting better. I'm 77 and sometimes my hands get shaky, too. I find that a martini helps steady me down!

Tom

Thank you Tom, that's very kind. I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out but it looked so much better when freshly sanded. This is the first planking I've done for 15 years or so and this was on the inside. I can't do the martini, I've been dry for 30+ years. I could smoke some dope though, it's legal here😃

This is the worst spot with a couple of boo boo's.

Is there any advantage of PVA and dust over store bought wood filler. When I make my own filler it always seems to have wood threads in it. I guess I could screen the sawdust. Any recipes for filler?

DSC04330.JPG

Don, save the sanding dust as you sand as sawdust is too large to large.   I use a coffee filter rubber banded to shop vac.   Then, equal parts PVA (white) and water and make a thick slurry with the sanding dust. Pack it in, let it dry and resand.     

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have had good luck with applying glue, both PVA or CA to the gap and immediately sanding and the sawdust created will fill the gap right then. When planking if glue squeezes out between the planks, wipe it level and a bit of quick sanding fills any gap. Saves an extra step. 

2 hours ago, Don Case said:

Thanks Mark. Do you use the same species of wood as what you are trying to fill. Like Oak dust for Oak planking. I've had it dry darker at times.

In a nut shell... yes.  If I plan in pear, the filler is made with pear dust.    And Turangi made some good points also.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, turangi said:

I have had good luck with applying glue, both PVA or CA to the gap and immediately sanding and the sawdust created will fill the gap right then. When planking if glue squeezes out between the planks, wipe it level and a bit of quick sanding fills any gap. Saves an extra step. 

I'll try that. I had thought of it but dismissed it because I figured the sandpaper would clog right up and be useless.

I had very little clogging, I think wiping away the excess before sanding is the key. It removes the excess surface glue but leaves the crack filled and the sanding dust neatly fills the crack. I will post a bit more later about my technique, bit busy right now.

7 hours ago, Mercator said:

I have problems when mixing glue and wood dust, do you add anything to the glue such as soapy water?

I use plain water.  Mix the water and glue first, then add the dust.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: