I have one of these figureheads from CAF.  My question is, what would be the best way to remove the wood between the lions' legs so it will fit on the head?   From the top of his head to his toes is about 1.75 inches.   

30bb1c717e.jpg.500x500.jpg.9f85673f77b30d81272a6483eb78d42b.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark its making my eyes water just thinking about having something removed from between the logs

perhaps saw the easy bits and then file the rest out

Edited by Kevin

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I have one of these figureheads from CAF.  My question is, what would be the best way to remove the wood between the lions' legs so it will fit on the head?   From the top of his head to his toes is about 1.75 inches.   

30bb1c717e.jpg.500x500.jpg.9f85673f77b30d81272a6483eb78d42b.jpg

You can stick the support to a square piece of wood first,

image.png.f7205441fbc2cde8c033cb5137a2bc36.png

Then you can fix or clamp the square block,

image.png.720e94e969837cc9e9e42718d22467ca.png

You can even find a way to temporarily fix head and  then remove the wood carefully.

image.png.36bb46c74ceb7f3834439f675b6df790.png

Jack

That is a tough challenge! My usual way is to cut the slot to size before shaping the figure. The issue here is, even if you mount the figure as illustrated, is to test fit it to your model before removing the mounting block.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

12 hours ago, Murphys77 said:

Hi Mark,

is there any chance you could post a pic of the actual lion?

It would be interesting to see one of these in the flesh, so to speak!

Thanks.

M.

Here ya' go Murphy....  

DSCF3134.JPG.01eb8c62ee0cc35129c99b743a5563fc.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the replies.   I'll have to wander off  and ponder this.... manually vs. mill.   I'll still have to have the stem built up and sized before doing it.  So, adding that to my list....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I have the MF70 as pictured and would definitely be using it if I had to do what you are describing. I would partially wrap it in cling wrap and then use that engravers clay to mount it.    

Hi Mark, thanks for taking the time and posting the pic, it actually looks pretty good!

I had been looking at these in the past and wondering how they looked in real life.

Is that a quarter you have there with it?

Good luck with your cutting or grinding or filing, whatever you decide to do.

All the best.

M.

Thanks Murphy.   That's a quarter.  As I noted in the first post it's about 1.75 inches high.    I've decided to hold off on any work on the figurehead until the head is built up and installed.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: