Norwegian Sailing Pram by Retiredpm - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:12

I am beginning my second build and plan on going slow to hone my skills. I see from the initial instructions that I will be buying a couple more tools.

DA21A036-1EC5-4EC4-9E46-C583584A7AD0.jpeg

Current Build: Armed Longboat 
Current Build: Continental Navy Frigate Alfred - On Hold until a improve my skills
Completed Build: Norwegian Sailing Pram
Completed Build: Lowell Grand Banks Dory

I initially glued the aft transom pieces incorrectly but got the pieces separated before the glue held. I think I have the pieces beveled correctly. There is so much trial and error in this hobby that I feel like I am guessing at times, but relying on what I think look good.

3BE5A246-7A68-4485-97E8-62619FD9BEC5.jpeg

Current Build: Continental Navy Frigate Alfred - On Hold until a improve my skills

This step looks much easier on paper than in reality. Note to self, make sure one end is dry before gluing other end.

81D074A2-13CC-4805-9960-B5697CB5509A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I took a couple weeks off helping in-laws pack for their move to Florida. I have completed the bottom of the boat aside from a little more sanding. Should I be using some kind of filler for the bow and stern or is it okay like this?005E57D8-CA56-48A3-8AA6-F48DEA13DE3B.thumb.jpeg.d23db1aeea901e6ebce3412ce62b87f8.jpeg0B072F40-E46A-4C59-87A4-B37387F1A87D.thumb.jpeg.09fc61029eb79a88b117308746d67b13.jpeg

C296817F-0488-4E1F-9A94-AC53884EA31C.jpeg

The plank ends need to be sanded completely flush to the transoms. If there is any small gap left, then use filler. Otherwise you'll be making a lot of dust if you fill first!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

3 hours ago, druxey said:

The plank ends need to be sanded completely flush to the transoms. If there is any small gap left, then use filler. Otherwise you'll be making a lot of dust if you fill first!

Is a regular wood filler good or is there something better for models?

Just now, Retiredpm said:

I did some additional sanding after adding a little wood filler. Looks much cleaner.

A4B3CB6A-1E4F-4C9F-97B4-571323322A7A.jpeg

Board cleats and mast step installed. Made the cuts for the chain plate slots. A little confused with what the length of the cut is supposed to be, so I have small slits in place and figure I can go bigger it needed.

83B4DD92-D9CE-40D0-9B7B-84FFDBFB38BC.jpeg

I used a grey primer spray followed by some light sanding. Will start painting when I return from a convention.

7E22E4D2-EDD8-4C2D-A603-C59FEA68B3B5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

It’s been a while since my last post. Life gets in the way sometimes. I started the sail. Any trick to getting the creases out of it? I’ve put 2 coats of paint on the inside and 5 coats on the outside. I think it is coming along nicely.

4EB561E8-2AC8-4713-B5B6-88AAF237FF9E.jpeg

FADB9159-5A60-40F7-8134-7ED12C4717C2.jpeg

B2788DC3-A4D1-4069-82C4-EAD38E2C3853.jpeg

E25E1993-0974-452A-A537-C3A9EFE123CA.jpeg

2 hours ago, Retiredpm said:

Any trick to getting the creases out of it?

Before I did anything with the sail material, I wetted it and then ironed it with an iron on cotton.  Now that you have put glue on, it might work and might not, but I'm sure it would leave some glue residue on your iron.  Your might try it on a excess piece that you have glued before you try on the real sail.

Looking good.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

• 2 months later...

Yes it is and my fat fingers didn't help

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

• 2 weeks later...

I had an issue with the tiller assembly. Both pieces split as I tried to drill a hole through them. So I took a piece of scrap and a fixed that to the assembly.

E9D11969-28CE-4349-9243-FA4A1A06A520.jpeg

Well. It is far from perfect, but I am still happy with the outcome and can’t wait to start my next build. Not sure if I want to do the third suggested model, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack or tackle something else. I would love some suggestions.

5A25D0A3-CAE5-45A1-A27D-B8C836B7C911.jpeg

92C9F4DE-9E1F-4CC7-BB9C-D7A356C8915B.jpeg

17FB12E4-1D1D-41A0-B865-2DEC42F11B07.jpeg

FE93A627-5DB4-42ED-8B89-33BAB9D2C6F5.jpeg

Great job

Congratulations of completing your Pram.  You did a good job on building this model.  What ship model would you like to build next based on the skills you have learned?

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I am open to suggestions on next build. I had picked up the Navy Frigate Alfred through FB marketplace on the cheap. So I will tackle that since, at the worst, it will be good practice as I am showing a lot of patience while working on these models.

Good job, I am right in the middle of this build.  Ready to start the tiller assembly.

Life is to short to be serious all the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, your not doing it right.

Current Builds

18th Century Armed Longboat 

Finished Builds

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram