Hello from Chicago!

Icksa

Hello: I'm icksa, 38 and living in Chicago. I just finished my first model of the Polaris from Occre which was a great beginner boat. It took me several months to complete but now I'm totally hooked. I've already ordered the HMS Terror from Occre and should be able to start work on it this week (loved the TV show). I think this is a step up in difficulty, especially in the rigging. 

I made a lot of mistakes when building Polaris and am eager to correct these issues on the Terror. I think to get to the next level I'll need some help from the experts here. This time, I will make sure to create a build log and will hopefully get some advice. Thanks in advance!

- Icksa

P.S. if anyone knows of places in Chicago where you can view model ships let me know (museums, etc.)!

IMG_20210711_183206173.jpg

Welcome to MSW. Its a learning process and you did a nice job.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Welcome Icksa.

Nice job.

The Museum of Science and Industry has a small exhibit https://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/ships-gallery/

There's also 3 ship modelling clubs in the area where you can meet (via Zoom at moment) other ship modelers.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Welcome! That looks very nice. I also built my first ship without doing a build log, but have started one for my second build. It makes all the difference in the world! 

Mike

currently SE of Disorder

Current Build: HM Cutter Lady Nelson - Amati

Previous Build: Swift 1805 - Artesania Latina

Hi Icksa and welcome to Model Ship World.  You did a very nice job on building your first wooden ship model.  I hope you start a build log on your Terror as we would like to follow your progress on your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW, Icksa.   Do start a log on the Terror as it's a great way to get feedback and help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The model exhibit at the Science & Industry Museum was completely reworked just about 2 years ago.  Models cleaned and repaired, some new and models put into dioramas.  Big improvement.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, kurtvd19 said:

The model exhibit at the Science & Industry Museum was completely reworked just about 2 years ago.  Models cleaned and repaired, some new and models put into dioramas.  Big improvement.

Kurt

Good to know Kurt. It's been a while since I last visited. Now I'm vaccinated, it's time to get out more!

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

:sign:

Nice first model

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum