Airbrush “controls”

New to an airbrush, thought I’d try it for some things like gun carriages. I see another topic for thinning a tube of acrylic like shown in photo. Still any thoughts appreciated 

Mostly though can you explain what turning A & B do. I know pushing C starts paint to flow, but what does pulling back and forth do?  I just got this and thought I’d ask the group before I start painting the walls 

103E5B83-1226-4C48-AE33-43E46832552F.thumb.jpeg.f2143a4ba32e0fda0db8d089c8856a64.jpeg

I still prefer brushing but for some mass production I thought I’d give this a reply. The battery powered compressor made this unit attractive to me to try. 

Thanks for any help. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Actually, pushing C starts the air flow.  Pulling back on C moves the needle rearward allowing paint to flow so if you push down on C while also pulling rearward you get air and paint!   Voila, air brush!  (This is a dual action brush).

B is not an adjustment - it holds the needle in place so that when you pull C rearwards it moves.

Think of A as a travel adjustment.  It limits the movement of the needle rearward when C is moved rearward essentially limiting the maximum amount of paint mixed with the air controlled by pushing down on C.  By the way, limiting the maximum amount of air (pressure, actually) is done with the air pressure regulator on the air line.

From a practical matter you're rocking back on C to spray.  Pull back more=more paint.  Push down more=more air.

Have fun!

A few things to consider:

1) Pigment size is important for airbrushes so I would suggest you use a hobby paint rather than artist paints.

2) You may have some issues with inconsistent air flow with that mini air compressor. I would personally recommend a compressor with a tank. You can find them for about $100 on Amazon.

3) The consistency of the paint is really important. Too thick and you will clog things up, too much water and it won't stick properly and may run. It might be worth getting some airbrush medium and flow aid as this can help. Generally people say a milk like consistency, but really you need to experiment a bit to find out what works.

4) To avoid dry tip (where paint dries on the tip of the needle and blocks the flow) make sure that when spraying you follow this process: press down for air, pull back to spray, slide forward to stop spraying, release air (down, back, forward, up).

5) Air pressure is also really important, generally between 10-20 psi is recommended, but I have at times used as high as 30. The higher the pressure the wider the cone and the more the paint atomizes in the air. This can risk it drying out before it hits the target and producing a bumpy surface.

Edited by Thukydides

Thanks for the suggestions. I had previously looked into the Amazon compressor offers, not really what I want. This compressor is highly rated based on my research, I can also send it back anytime if not satisfied.

I contacted Winsor & Newton, they recommended a brand of medium flow fluid, which I now have and said thinned properly their galleria paints work well with an airbrush, it is of no use to me limited to hobby paints. I appreciate the suggestions on the “trigger” and will put it to use. I haven’t tried it yet, I prefer brush painting but for some things like PE and gun carriages it might come in handy. I’ll practice first to see how it goes. 

I have the answers I was looking for, thanks everyone. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

5 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I had previously looked into the Amazon compressor offers, not really what I want. This compressor is highly rated based on my research, I can also send it back anytime if not satisfied.

I contacted Winsor & Newton, they recommended a brand of medium flow fluid, which I now have and said thinned properly their galleria paints work well with an airbrush, it is of no use to me limited to hobby paints. I appreciate the suggestions on the “trigger” and will put it to use. I haven’t tried it yet, I prefer brush painting but for some things like PE and gun carriages it might come in handy. I’ll practice first to see how it goes. 

I have the answers I was looking for, thanks everyone. 

Just some thoughts, i did go the same learning curve a few years ago for Miniatures.

The downside of this compressor setup is the weight of the whole setup, the less you have to hold in your hand, the less strain on the wrist (also, more precision and better to maneuver to weird angles, tight spaces etc.) 

Also, with external compressors with tank, you have the option to better fine-tune the air pressure on the regulator (the trigger itself doesnt allow for that range of tuning).

Each paint will behave differently, even from the same manufacturer (i use Vallejo Model Air) and you might need to tune pressure on the go, especially for large surfaces when filling up paint when it runs out, the consistency of the paint will never be exactly the same (for weight reasons and drying up, it is recommended to work with 1-2ml paint in the cup Maximum)

Use Knob A to limit amount of paint if you get splatters (dots of thicker paint), allows for better control than only using your finger when pulling back (treat it as a rest-stop so on larger areas you can set the stop at one position and dont have to think how far you pull the trigger)

Due to the trigger and the way our fingers are built it is especially good to just press the C Trigger down fully and pull it back fully, all tuning can then happen on the air pressure regulator and the knob A.

Also one other point about Tank-Compressors, i use a Dual-Piston Compressor with a max pressure of 6 Bar (around 90psi) and i have an additional air pistol for it, this is ideal to blowing away dust from model parts and cleaning electronics (laptop interior)

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Do a search on YouTube for Barbatos Rex. He has multiple videos on using all type of paints with an airbrush, including artist paints, as well as a video on just the type of airbrush you have.

On 9/3/2021 at 9:59 PM, glbarlow said:

This compressor is highly rated based on my research, I can also send it back anytime if not satisfied.

Be sure to save the box and packing materials. You will need them for sending it back. :D 

On 9/3/2021 at 9:59 PM, glbarlow said:

I contacted Winsor & Newton, they recommended a brand of medium flow fluid, which I now have and said thinned properly their galleria paints work well with an airbrush, it is of no use to me limited to hobby paints.

Tubed quality artist's oils and acrylics properly thinned as they have recommended are fine for airbrushing and also for brush painting. They are intended to be thinned as the user requires. While you may have to acquire the skill to mix colors which perfectly match 1942 Wehrmacht armor paint as opposed to 1943 Wehrmacht armor paint, as some require, tubed paste artist's colors are far less expensive than the small containers of model paints and particularly so the small premixed bottles of "airbrush paint" for modeling. The tubed colors are also far less likely to dry up on your shelf.

One thing to keep in mind when airbrushing is the quality of the paint has a lot to do with how small the pigments are ground.

I have found that Vallejo has finer pigments than Tamiya paints but they are harder to clean out of the airbrush.

Tamiya Acrylics are very forgiving when airbrushing as they lay down nice and smooth and you can just about use anything as a thinner for them where the Vallejo cover real well and you have to use their thinner or the Tamiya Acrylic thinner. (don't skimp on thinner by trying to use water or windshield washer fluid as some suggest).

If you decide to up your airbrush game get a compressor with a tank. There are a lot of them on Amazon or since you are in the states TCP Global is a good source.

A dual action airbrush will be up to you what you want to spend but stay away from chinese brands. (I am looking at you Iwata NEO with your expensive replacement parts). The rest of the Iwata line are good airbrushes but pricy. Currently I am using a Badger Patriot and it is a great quality airbrush that comes standard with a .5 tip but they also have a fine needle kit for it also.

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

If you live in a part of the world that has “Big Box Home Improvement Stores” such as Home Depot, Menards, Lowe’s, Etc, each one will stock a line of store brand air compressors.  These come with an air tank, pressure regulator, and moisture trap.  The compressor-tank combination is sized to drive the air nailing and air stapling tools that these stores also sell.  These small compressors will provide enough clean, dry, air at the desired pressure to operate any airbrush.  They often go on sale, particularly at Holiday Time.  They can be bought for around $100.  I fitted the Connections for my air brush, my air tools and the compressor with quick disconnect fittings.  Air brush companies also sell adaptors to connect with the outlets of these compressors.

They’re also great for inflating bike tires and the flat on your wife’s car that she ignored.

Roger

I’m afraid this post has gotten off track. I was only asking about the controls on the airbrush I bought.  I’m not looking for a a different compressor, a different airbrush, or different paints. 

Thank you, I’d like to close this post. I have the answers I was looking for regarding the controls of the airbrush I have. If you read my replies I have only a small limited interest or use for an air brush. I appreciate the extra info, perhaps others will find it helpful.

Regards,

Glenn