Meta by bolin - Billing Boats - 1:40 - original fore-and-aft schooner rig

I guess there are as many ways to do blocks as there are builders 🙂

Your way I haven't seen before, with the strop done that way. Other laminated ones I have seen, like KeithAugs.

My very limited experience of block making is that I struggle to get the correct roundness. Mine, this far, always has been to squarish.

Those two piles of pre-production block are a promising start I think. A bit more oval and there you have it.

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

I got the idea for my method mostly from the kits of internally strapped blocks that Syren sells. Mine does not look as nice, at least not yet. But I can say that I built them myself 😁

I have not seen KeithAugs method, but I will check it out.

This thread is a trip down memory lane for me. My late father started building the Billing Boats Meta many years ago, but never finished it. He then gave it to a friend, who had it for a couple of years without continuing on it, and finally it ended up with another friend, who finished the build honorably. I've seen the Meta in its various construction phases for many, many years, so reading your thread was a treat.
I'm also intrigued that you're using Gerda as reference for parts, guessing you might have the same vintage book as I do: Gerda - den sista briggen by Anders Nilson? (English: Gerda - the last brig)
Anyway, hats off to your build, it's a work of art.

Thanks for sharing your memories of building this model, and your encouragement. I indeed have a copy of the book you mentioned. I have had some thoughts about building a model of the brig Gerda av Gefle sometime in the future. But I have ideas for many other models as well, so we will see…

2 hours ago, bolin said:

Thanks for sharing your memories of building this model, and your encouragement. I indeed have a copy of the book you mentioned. I have had some thoughts about building a model of the brig Gerda av Gefle sometime in the future. But I have ideas for many other models as well, so we will see…

Gerda was a beautiful ship. It's a shame they didn't preserve her, considering the fairly moderate costs it would have amounted to. I think it would be a fascinating model to build since she's well documented for research, and then there's the replica in Finland.

About one and a half years ago it was reported that the replica was being sold back to Sweden. I don’t know how it has turned out, but she was reported to be in bad shape and in need of repair.

The replica Gerda af Gevle is currently owned by a Finnish company.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 1 month later...

Finally something to share in this build. Every piece is a model in its own right...

20230316_2059572.thumb.jpg.f245ad7ed3e1604faf9ef36fb2e1d4ad.jpg

So some 70 models later, all the blocks are done.

Now I can start with the rigging. But first I will build the stand.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I can continue with assembling the parts I have made previously. First is the bow sprit.

Meta originally had a single spar bowsprit, a spike boom. In Billings kit she is, as I have mentioned before, represented with the later rigging. Later, when she was used in films, she was rigged with a jib-boom.

The details of the rigging is mostly taken from this photo of a similar ship. The photos of Meta I'm using seems to show a very similar rigging, but are taken from another angle so the details are not as clear.

Fo75481A.jpg.93a1b30658ef1c9870f25e73679293cb.jpg

20230330_191709.thumb.jpg.44ce453747e58ef109b0b8f3f54dcb7e.jpg

20230330_191727.thumb.jpg.8bf79e04f8cc0dcdb314f60d727c504c.jpg

The chains are actually provided in the kit material, and is one of few parts that I will use.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late with this update. The photos are from last weekend, when I started to install the deck fittings. Most of that I have already shown in earlier and where ready for installation.

First I installed the riders for the booms with the large double sheave blocks. Each of these blocks has a cleat on them. 

Byglarforbommar.thumb.jpeg.8b7eedd9c82cf6de9d6572693b918714.jpeg

Then followed the winch, the mast partners (almost not shown) and the forward hatch.

Dacksutrustning.thumb.jpeg.746e456d0063a358b5056d4c2eee71e6.jpeg

Today I installed the windlass. The handles are detachable, and I'm unsure where to put them. They where probably stoved when not used.Ankarspelmonterad.thumb.jpeg.fdd7d54c7e5934f261bd913961356e0e.jpeg

Thank you Per for your interest in my build 🙂 . I will answer your post in English, but also send you a private message on this site in Swedish.

It is fascinating to hear from someone that has actually sailed on Meta. I would be delighted if you could share some of your pictures. It's quite easy to share them in this thread if you want. When you answer a message, click on "choose files..." 

Skarmavbild2023-04-23kl_19_34_32.png.0c548499ef3b6ee05f885c0f10aac23e.png

I don't know if there are model builders that would take on a commission to build a Meta model. I would assume so, but I don't know of any one.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Long time since I posted an update. 

I have some progress to share with you all. A mold for the ships boat. It is based on a plan that I found at DigitaltMuseum. It's laminated from thinner strips and formed using files and sand paper. The final mold is treated with shellac, and I plan to wax it so that glue won't stick to it.

image.thumb.jpeg.755b951930d826f1ed42dac8c2419934.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4d5c3421fa403328860af98cc97865b4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.97ff5c1ff643469546ec3e0f644ffda7.jpeg

I have also started with the sails. The are made in thin paper. The paper is nothing fancy like silk span. Just something a shirt I bought was wrapped in. The paper is spray painted in parchment color. The seams are marked with a hard pencil. In the picture below I'm gluing the edge rope (bolt rope?) to the top sails.

20230828_183756(kopia).thumb.jpeg.a68f221cc834d26d0d25a6f7ebf5a5f2.jpeg

Edited by bolin

• 4 months later...

Some slow progress was made during the autumn. The gaff sails and the top sails are now done and are ready to be rigged on the masts.

20231002_190855.thumb.jpg.612d64c9f68f439663e3b15fed498f99.jpg

With the sails done I have all the parts to start rigging the masts.

I will try do as much as possible off the ship. It should make it easier. I have made a simple jigg so that I can work on the masts when they lie flat rather than being horizontal.

20240103_091210.thumb.jpg.067b969f9260d89d1c57c58148d6106f.jpg

Most of the standing rigging would have been steel wire. I have chosen to use the rigging thread that I already have and paint it grey using acrylic paint, rather than using real wire. I think that will be a good enough approximation of the colors in the following picture. The wire lines have also been served as in the picture.

Fo75485A.jpg.136fc4d79a642fbd12e81c70e0c1d71e.jpg

Painting the lines also makes them stiffer, which I think is good.

Since I only have photos of the original Metas rig I have not been able to determine the size of the fore staysail and jibs until now when I can step the mast and measure in place. None of the photos of Meta show here with the sails set. However the following photo seems to be close what it would have looked like.

Fo72399A.thumb.jpg.9392262124c1eebc6ec594d6b0550fa9.jpg

Here I'm part way through fitting templates for the sails. The inner and flying jibs still look a bit oversized, so I have later reduced them a bit.

20240105_163410.thumb.jpg.447552c311a1214fef653d6b0dfe5304.jpg

Looks good!

I am looking forward to the ships boat build. When I build my Regina I opted out for the boat since I didn't had the skill at the time. Maybe I can muster some confidence I try it some time.

Sails and rigging also looks up to par (golf term). I hope you can share a closeup of the crowded area around the mastheads later when all is nice and tight.

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thanks.

I built a boat for my Will Everard from a kit by Mater Korabel. That was in 1:72 scale, so I'm thinking: How hard can it be to do it in 1:40? One reason I haven't started the boat is that I have used all of the 0.5 mm maple sheet I bought for that purpose for the deck and other details. 

I will provide more detailed pictures later.

One thing I discovered when I made the templates for the sails was that I haven't prepared anywhere for the fore stay to attach! So I started to dig through my photos and books and discovered that the fore stay should be a double wire. I think I will run it through the grating and under the bow spit. Pictures will come later when I get around to it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good!

The bolt rope is glued on, yes?

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Yes, the bolt ropes are “edge glued” with diluted PVA glue. As you can see, I have not perfected the method. I will need to repair the glue bond in some places before I mount the sails.

Edited by bolin

• 3 months later...

I continue in a slow pace. A few hours here and there.

The masts got rigged separately and finished as far as possible off the ship.

20240312_203406.thumb.jpg.ba8574acc21a9b72c948e347f7ec4de2.jpg20240312_203616.thumb.jpg.f3497f72f046531992e8ddbb592485b9.jpg

Then the mast where stepped onto the ship. I'm now working on belaying the lines of the running rigging.

20240429_190724.thumb.jpg.bf156f2224e0ac372fafad7e5dbc062d.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.4aa55919f1ddc0b11ef27bea7507c43b.jpeg

Edited by bolin