Douglove

Hi folks,i am new to the hobby.wanted to try this for along time now.ive buildt alot of plastic model ships but never wood.what would a good starter model be.ive had my eye on the model shipways 3 pack,but would like to hear from folks who have the experience. Also what general tools would i need.ty doug

Welcome!

The Model Shipways three pack would be a good start. The older Midwest kits are also good starter projects. Bluejacket also has some beginner level kits. Model Shipways will replace parts you damage.

You probably want some sandpaper of various grits and potentially a metal ruler. Do they have the instructions online? It might be helpful to read through them if possibly and see what is suggested or what might help with certain steps.

Welcome to MSW, Doug.  I hope you'll post an intro in the New Member Introductions area.   As for tools... kits, etc.  Here's a a good starting place to read:    https://thenrg.org/resource/articles

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, Douglove said:

can you think of any other tools i would need.it comes with clamps,knife,tweezers,brushs,and paint.

The wise and economical way would be to wait until you get to a point where you need a tool and then buy the one that balances quality with how much you will use it in the future. 

Better for you would be to see if and how firmly the hook gets set with your interest in this hobby.   It has a unique advantage of being bounded enough not to be over whelming but broad enough that you could never cover it all.   Starting simple also allows you to explore tools and paint that you would never use again or use if you "knew then, what you know now".

This is neigh on to impossible for me, because I have an obsession about being as self sufficient as possible.  But then, I do not have to answer to anyone about how much I spend and on what.

A tool obsession can get expensive if you let it.  

I trust that you have looked at :   For Beginners - Cautionary Tale.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

This might sound odd but it also depends on your situation- age, experience, etc.  If you already have a workshop with common woodworking tools, or if you are starting out in life and intend to build up a shop, than you only need to consider what you need to supplement what you already have.

If you have nothing, that’s a different story.

I would add a decent quality vice, and a razor saw with mini miter box to your list.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Check out under the Modeling Tools and Equipment area of the forum "Newbie with a few Tool Questions" for discussion of what basic tools you need for a kit build. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Richard

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Jaager and Roger are spot on about acquiring tools.  Many of us are toolholics and have a stash of tools that seldom if ever get used but we wanted them just in case.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)