Lady Eleanor by Steve G - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Well, it's arrived, just three days after ordering. Beautifully packaged.

Frankly, I'm amazed at the quality and the content. The instructions are a work of art, as are the extensive plan set.

Need to pluck up the courage to actually make a start, so if those kind folk who have already done one would not mind straying too far from their phones.....?

20211109_134200.jpg

Ha, ha! Cheers. This kit is a revelation. My two previous (unfinished) kits, (admittedly 30+ years ago) were plywood bulkheads printed onto the sheet wood. They were warped, but you expected that, but each had to be cut from the sheet with a fretsaw and smoothed afterwards. It took weeks. In the past two hours I have removed the bulkheads and keel from the sheet, done the preliminary sanding for fairing, dry fitted it, glued it together and it all fits to incredible tolerances.

I'm more impressed than I could possibly say. To be honest, when I was first looking I thought that these kits were a bit expensive compared to other offerings avaliable, but now I have one I can only wonder as to how Chris does them for the price.

Edited by Steve G

Steve

Good to see another Vanguard Model on the stocks. You can't go wrong with Chris's designs and instructions - I'm on my second with a third waiting on the shelf. Despite already achieving very high standards he is always seeking improvements and innovations. I think you've made a wise choice going for a comparatively straightforward but still very attractive kit for your first model. Joining this forum was another good choice - I've learned more since joining than I'd every learned about ships and modelling, especially since I stopped 'lurking' and started actively participating.

Well done for starting a log, and enjoy your build.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Steve,

A great project to get you through the winter months.

As you've noted there are now a number of Lady Eleanor builds on here, ranging from no 'bashing' to quite heavy bashing .... all ending with very satisfied builders who, if they are like me, were kinda sad when she was finished.

Mine is sailing about four feet above my right shoulder and is a very pleasing sight to start each day 🙂

Richard

Just now, Steve G said:

Am I allowed to steal these ideas or us that frowned upon?

I can't count how many ideas I used from B.E.'s Alert build on my own build of Vanguard's Alert. I personally think it is nice to throw out a credit where possible, but the whole point of other's logs is to help teach and inspire others (at least that is what I think).

I agree with Tim. Personally, I take it as a compliment if someone uses one of my ideas. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

Cheers, Derek

You've made a good start Steve. I built the Lady Eleanor recently and really enjoyed it, in fact I have money put aside for Chris Watton's Mumble Bee kit when it's released. If you have any problems or need any advice there are plenty of us that will help you.

Woke up feeling dreadful this morning, I think I have the severe cold but that is rampant in the UK at the moment, so I don't think I'll be doing much today, but I have ordered some stripwood for the planking from Cornwall Models.

Has anyone used one of these? I thought it might be useful for cutting 90° angles in stripeood.

Screenshot_20211110-121402_Amazon Shopping.jpg

5 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Hi Steve,

You're welcome to use any stuff from my logs that you find of interest, I do it all the time with others.

Sharing ideas and methods to increase knowledge and build satisfaction is one of the cornerstones of MSW.

Enjoy your build.

B.E.

That's very kind. Your build was a superb tutorial.

Back to the build. I've decided that I will attempt BEs steering modification. I've altered the keel slightly and planked the floor and the fish hatch. I used lime planking stained with a dark walnut water based stain. Then a couple of coats of cellulose sanding sealer, sanded with fine 600 grade paper and two coats of water based satin varnish.

I was intending to plank the deck, but the more I look at the later etched deck supplied the more I like it. This is effectively my first proper foray into this absorbing hobby and it's important for me to actually finish the model to an acceptable standard, so I don't want to make life harder than it needs to be.

20211112_121651.jpg

Edited by Steve G

OK got the deck installed and sanded all the bulkheads to give the proper fairing (I found that sandpaper wrapped around a short piece of small diameter plastic drainpipe was very useful) and last night glued the bulwarks in place. 

Hugely disappointed to discover this morning that they are not perfectly aligned despite me taking a LONG time to try to do it properly. They are just over 1mm out. Not insurmountable I suppose  but I'm kicking myself nevertheless. 

CM211113-092525001.jpg

Today I will me mostly Hull planking..

I knew this job would be slightly challenging,  but it's proving much more difficult that I planned for. Most of my previous woodworking has been making musical instruments and one thing a luthier will never use is CA glue. I expected this to be the same and up to now have been using Titebond. However, it's setting time is far too long for this process so I am learning to use CA. It's not very forgiving stuff is it?

20211114_105301.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

However, it's setting time is far too long for this process

A few questions that may help use PVA glue (if you want). I used PVA on the first layer and CA on the second layer.

Are you pre-bending the strips?

What types of clamps are you using? 

Ive had some success using binder clips for sections.

image.jpeg.c73b3d4cc8d84ce92329fcd2275ff023.jpeg

Eventually the clamping can get quite creative. Planking though is definitely something to take your time on. On my Alert I think I would consider it a busy day if I had able to do more than 2 planks. 

You should be OK using PVA on the first layer of planks if you are also pinning them (I'm assuming Lady E is double-planked?). I normally only use CA for the second layer. Planking can be challenging, especially when you first start ship modelling, but there is plenty of information, tips and techniques on the forum, both in individual logs and under Modelling Techniques (<More> on the menu bar). I wouldn't worry too much about the first layer - you can use plenty of sanding and filler. The key is to provide a sound, smooth surface for the second layer. Having said that, the first layer is also a safe place to practice techniques so it's worth making an effort, but without fretting about it too much.

Btw, if you can make musical instruments you will have more than enough skill for a miniature shipwright!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Thanks for the responses.  I'm not pre-bending the planks, the curvature on this model is pretty shallow and I don't think it needs it. I do have a bending iron though. I must admit it is taking much longer than I anticipated to do this planking, not that there is any rush. It's just a bit of a learning curve for me.

Thanks for the encouragement. 

not that there is any rush.

Steve,  enjoy it while it lasts 😉  ... you'll be surprised how quickly the time passes.

Planking, I find, requires a number of skills...

- correctly curving the surfaces/bulkheads the planks will lie on

- cutting the planks to the correct shape

- bending them

- preparing good rabbets

- getting the planks to follow the structure underneath

- and not least, making the planks stick in place

I'm sure there are other steps I've missed.

I'm still learning about all these steps. Some I'm better at than others. Some still pretty poor. But it's good fun learning...if it was too easy then there would be no challenge and satisfaction when done.

You're doing good.

Richard

Have to say that I'm really glad I chose this model rather than something more complex. The first planking had been a nightmare, my own fault for not researching the method properly. However, it is just about complete. I'm too embarrassed to photograph it in its present state, but will finish the minor trimming, fill and sand it and then post a pic. Hopefully it won't look too bad, and I manage the second planking without too much drama.

15 minutes ago, Steve G said:

I'm too embarrassed to photograph it in its present state

Simply recalling my own experience. I was too embarrassed to show a picture of my first planking, then I did and was given some very helpful suggestions on how to proceed. I unfortunately had to rip off all the planking I had done, fair the hull a little more and then repeat. I had much better success the second time around, but planking caused me at least a couple of sleepless nights (and I think will do the same next time I approach it). Keep at it though!

I've finished the first planking. I'm not overjoyed at my efforts, I know I could have done a far better job and to most of you guys this will look pretty amateurish but it it what it is. I have enjoyed the journey so far, and the elation when that final plank goes in and it first starts to look like an actual boat is wonderful.

I'm trying to make a poor job as good as I can with some sanding and filling and hopefully will have a good foundation to take the second planking, which I hope to do a lot better than this.

Cheers

20211118_102932.jpg

I think the shape created by your first planking layer looks perfectly fine.

And, yes, filling and sanding is your friend - it certainly was mine 😉 

You'll be very pleasantly surprised by how good she turns out once all the planking is done and a layer of paint added.

Richard

That doesn’t look to bad at all (I think you may have been sandbagging us with the previous comment 😀). One small tip - your fingers may help finding high and low spots by running them along the hull. 

On 11/10/2021 at 12:20 PM, Steve G said:

Woke up feeling dreadful this morning, I think I have the severe cold but that is rampant in the UK at the moment, so I don't think I'll be doing much today, but I have ordered some stripwood for the planking from Cornwall Models.

Has anyone used one of these? I thought it might be useful for cutting 90° angles in stripeood.

Screenshot_20211110-121402_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Yes I have one of those, it is fine initially, but then I have found the blade starts cutting a groove into the plastic bed, not sure how long it is going to last, or if there is something better out there.

2 hours ago, Steve G said:

I'm not overjoyed at my efforts

Just remember, first planking is only an underlayment, so aesthetics is not necessarily a prime indicator of how well you did the job.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Thanks for the kind words, but I am seriously annoyed with myself. I think the self confident know it all in me came out to bite me on the bum. 

I have learned a valuable lesson or two, the first one is SLOW DOWN!, the second one is its either right or wrong, don't glue it if it's wrong 

I'll get there though. (It's enormous fun)

23 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Yes I have one of those, it is fine initially, but then I have found the blade starts cutting a groove into the plastic bed, not sure how long it is going to last, or if there is something better out there.

Looking at it, I think the plastic bed is reversible.