Hello from Belgium

Hello, my name is Jason (aka Sonny Skipper) and I live in the lovely village of Slijpe (West-Flanders - Belgium) not that far away from the Belgian coast and the North Sea.  I’m 43 years old and the father of 3 lovely daughters.  So always a busy house over here.

I think I started with modelling ships at the age of 9 when my father bought me the Revell 1/570 RMS Titanic.

Ever since the Titanic was discovered I couldn’t get enough of this ship.  A model was a good way of admiring the ship from all angles.  There was no internet back in those days.

After building quite a few plastic model ships I decided in 2018 to tryout a wooden ship.  I had no previous experience with this so I decided to keep things simple and opted for Amati’s Nina.  I was quite pleased how this model turned out to be.  Though not perfectly build, this ship has won me over to continue building wooden ships.  Even my wife thinks these ships have something special.  It does give you a sense of pride knowing you’ve crafted this ship from wooden strips.

Currently I’m in the process of building another Spanish ship, namely Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes from Occre.  Again, she’s not perfect, but then again I am still learning and enjoying every hour of the build so far.

Kind regards,

Jason

1 hour ago, Sonny Skipper said:

Even my wife thinks these ships have something special.

Welcome aboard!

The true test of a great wife is if she still thinks your models are special when you have run out of display space in your home. Hopefully that day is still a long ways off for you!

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Jason, welcome to MSW. Please share your Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes build in a build log. 

Thank you, Mercator and Keith Black.  I have already started a build log, although it is almost the finished product.  I have been building the NS Mercedes since August 2020.  The project has been halted a while when we moved to Slijpe, but since then building has picked up again.  You should be able to find the build log under my name.  Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Hi Jason and welcome to Model Ship World.  I have posted a link to your build log HERE.  You have done a good job on your model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW, Jason.   Chris was right about wives and support.  And yes, open a log.  Even being far into the build won't hurt and is a great way to meet other builders.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW.

Groeten uit oost Vlaanderen 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum