Anchor rope colour

DaveBaxt

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I can see why this would be classed as running rigging and would be tan in colour. However even though it would make a huge mess of the windlass surely this rope being in the harshest of enviroments would be tarred and therefore either dark brown or black. What are peoples views on this.. Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Dave,

Interesting point.  I do not recall ever hearing of or seeing a tarred anchor line on contemporary models, but.......   

Remember that the anchor cable did not go around the capstans, but rather the messenger did.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

My thinking on this is that the tarring of the standing rigging is to try and keep most of the wet out.

Since the anchor cable will be immersed when in use and completely water logged the tarring would just as effectively keep all the wet in and the cable would never dry out and eventually rot.

Of course....I may be totally wrong. 😉

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

30 minutes ago, popeye2sea said:

...tarring would just as effectively keep all the wet in and the cable would never dry out and eventually rot.

I would think Lees would have mentioned this.  Maybe someone else can check before I can get to my library..

Lavery goes into great detail about anchors and cables, but doesn't mention tarring..

He does say a 74 would have had 7, 22inch cables of 120 fathoms.  That would have been a lot of tar that would need to be replenished..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

In wood, damage from rot is associated with fresh water; often from rainwater leaking from the deck into internal structure.  Salt is generally regarded as a preservative of organic materials.  Later Nineteenth Century American shipbuilding practice included pouring salt into cavities between frames planking and ceiling as a preservative.

I therefore,  suspect that rot would not be a particular concern for anchor cables immersed in salt water, particularly if they could be sluiced off to remove marine growth as they came inboard.  Ships were fitted with mangers to direct water and debris from the cable  as it was hauled onboard.

A real concern might have been damage to cables stored onboard in the dank environment.  Rats might have also been a problem.  I have read that they would eat flax sails if given a chance.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Thankyou everyone who added to this thread and lots of interesting replies and can now see why the ropes were not tarred. Great stuff. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Can you please post in English? 

Many thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

it goes about like this:

(I guess there are also some pendants where it is important to keep the maximum strength so it does not break.

If a tarred rope is let's say may be about 1/3 less strength than un tarred rope... does that mean that they had to slightly increase the rope diameter of ... few ropes?)

image.png.46685d9b8ec761394467bba4dc17a15c.png