Wappen Von Hamburg by Edward - Corel - 1:50

I already started this build when I found this site.  I haven't built a ship in 10 years but I always dreamed of building this kit.  The price tag has prevented me from building it sooner.  I purchased this kit from someone who had started it and there where pieces missing.  The keel I had to make from a piece of oak and I will most likely stain it to match.  Like others, I have had to make a lot of modifications to the parts supplied.  I built Model Shipways U.S.S. Constitution and I was thinking of putting lights inside it but the gun ports where to small to see inside the gun deck.  But this kit has bigger gun ports so I was thinking this could be the ship to add lights and more detail for the gun deck.  I know by doing this that the lights can never be replaced so I'm not sure about doing it.  If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would love to here them.  I'm terrible at planking.  I have watched videos and read many different techniques but every time I try it never goes the same.  So I will muddle through this planking as I have always done. 

wappen 1.jpg

Its a great kit - mine is fully planked and has been sitting waiting to be finished. I too wanted to make modifications but decided to build it straight forward.  As far as planking if you choose to use the walnut planking - buy a large metal pipe to soak the boards which makes it much easier to bend the boards.  And make sure to glue successive boards as you plank from the wales to the upper ones so there are no gaps.  

The only issue I have with it is the pot metal gun carriages which should be scratch built for a better result.  PM me if you want any photos.

With the sails (or even without) this is a great model. Just have fun.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

• 2 weeks later...

I love the lights Edward!

A question, hope you don't mind, is the cannon/carriage construction and their rigging what is instructed in the kit?  The reason I ask is that the running out tackle has the double and single block on each side reversed compared to what is normally seen.  Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, allanyed said:

I love the lights Edward!

A question, hope you don't mind, is the cannon/carriage construction and their rigging what is instructed in the kit?  The reason I ask is that the running out tackle has the double and single block on each side reversed compared to what is normally seen.  Thanks

Allan

I wasn't sure how to do it so I just made a rigging plan that I thought was right.

Hi Edward

No harm especially as they are on the lower deck.   For the upper deck, they are likely set up with two single blocks with the line attached to the block hooked to the bulkhead ring, then run through the blocked hooked to the ring on the carriage, then back through the sheave hole in the block at the bulkhead.  Following is a rough picture, thousand words, yadda yadda.    

Allan

1771366364_Cannonrigwithsingleblocks.JPG.65a4f9b55e239f7a4789c465f0ea47a7.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Having rigged a gun tackle backward, I can attest, it is easy to do.  I had only done one side of one cannon, so I redid it, and then have just about finished doing the other 9 in the way that @allanyed has described, which is also how it is shown in the AoS HMBV Granado.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:55 AM, allanyed said:

Hi Edward

No harm especially as they are on the lower deck.   For the upper deck, they are likely set up with two single blocks with the line attached to the block hooked to the bulkhead ring, then run through the blocked hooked to the ring on the carriage, then back through the sheave hole in the block at the bulkhead.  Following is a rough picture, thousand words, yadda yadda.    

Allan

1771366364_Cannonrigwithsingleblocks.JPG.65a4f9b55e239f7a4789c465f0ea47a7.JPG

This does make more sense then what I did.  I wished I could have seen this diagram earlier.  It's to late for me to make the changes on the lower decks but I will rig the rest of the cannons this way.  Thank you for sharing this with me.

On 1/28/2022 at 5:47 AM, robdurant said:

Very neat work with the lights. I just found this thread. Hope you don't mind if I follow along. It looks like you're making great progress!

1:50 is a nice scale to work in. How big will she be when she's rigged?

The measurements are H - 35 3/4" W - 18" L - 43" approximately    

For future reference, if you used PVA glue, just wet it with denatured alcohol and it will soften the glue and things will come Free easily. Looking good!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship