Golden Hind by Rock_From_Korea - 1:48

And finally, I put the rails in place. So, work on hull itself (or outer hull) seems to be pretty much done. Next will be the works vis-a-vis filling in the inside of the decks with various structures as well as cannons. Still long way to go until I can finally begin with masts and rigging.

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

Regards, Rock

Current project : Golden Hind 1:48 scratch build

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all~

It's been a while since my last visit - have been tied up with something. Anyway, work on the upper decks continued. I tried walnut color stain for the ladder and it tuned out quite OK. Belaying pin racks are once again done using decommisioned hard wood chopsticks. Below are some progress pictures.

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

Edited by Rock_From_Korea

Regards, Rock

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

• 1 month later...

Hello All~

It's been a long time since my last update! I had to take time off from the shipyard due to minor injury on my left hand. Now fully functional again~ So, I have restarted on where I left off. Continuing on the quaterdeck grating and whipstaff house.

First, below are some pictures on the quarterdeck grating.

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Regards, Rock

Continuing on grating and some work on the quarterdeck knighthead(? not sure if this is the right jargon). My beloved IKEA drill is broken..... So, until I get a new IKEA drill (I intend to get another IKEA drill!), some work that requires drill will need to wait - some refinement to be done later on the quaterdeck knighthead(?).

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

Regards, Rock

I still feel a little bit clumsy with my left index finger. And as such, work is not as satisfactory as before. Anyway, for the whipstaff house, I just chose a simple (but robust) design. The end result is kind of cute and quite strong structurally. Below are the photos on this endeavor. The whipstaff house is not attached yet to the deck as I will need some space to work on the mizzen mast area and etc.

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

Regards, Rock

Glad to see you back in the shipyard.  Sorry to hear about your getting injured but glad all is well now. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

1 hour ago, robert952 said:

Glad to see you back in the shipyard.  Sorry to hear about your getting injured but glad all is well now. 

Hi Robert~

Thanks very much for your kind words! It is indeed good to be back~ And I realized how we take for granted our health and well functioning body!

Regards, Tock

Regards, Rock

Hi Rock

A bit late, sorry, but are you sure there were belaying pins on this ship?  The English Navy did not use them until about 200 years later than when the Golden Hind sailed so I would think they would never have been used on the GH.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

11 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Rock

A bit late, sorry, but are you sure there were belaying pins on this ship?  The English Navy did not use them until about 200 years later than when the Golden Hind sailed so I would think they would never have been used on the GH.  

Allan

Hi Allan,

I am sure that they did NOT use belaying pins during the 16th century! As I mentioned at the start of the belaying pin work in the forecastle area some time ago, I originally planned to use no belaying pins. However, looking at the sheer number of rigging that I need to do later, I decided to use some belaying pins. Just a bit of compromise between historical accuracy and ease of work on rigging. After trying this particular method for GH1 and if I figure out a way for tackling all the rigging without help from some belaying pins, I will definitely apply it to GH2 and beyond.

Regards, Rock

Regards, Rock

For your next adventure, should it be from the mid 18th century or earlier, maybe study some of the photos of the fully rigged models on the RMG site for some ideas.   Lees has belaying drawings for pre-pin ships as well that show where lines were belayed before pins came into use.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

37 minutes ago, allanyed said:

For your next adventure, should it be from the mid 18th century or earlier, maybe study some of the photos of the fully rigged models on the RMG site for some ideas.   Lees has belaying drawings for pre-pin ships as well that show where lines were belayed before pins came into use.

Allan

Thanks very much for your advise, Allan~ Much appreciated! BTW, I am not aware of the RMG site. If you could enlighten me a bit further on RMG site, it would be great! Thanks!

Regards, Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Hello shipmates~

Final work on the decks contuned...slowly. Installed the rails for the quarterdeck and poop deck. Below are the pictures taken during the process - very similar to the forcastle deck rail construction, so will keep comments short.

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

Regards, Rock

Overall view of the new additions on the quarterdeck & poop deck looks OK~ And some more additional works done. Finally, the overview of the whole ship with the recent additions.

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

Regards, Rock

Congratulations
Nice work Rock

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...

Hello shipmates!

I am nearing the end of 1st phase (completion of hull structure) of the GH1 construction. The only areas left for the hull work are the installments of cannons and the main mast knighthead. I have included just a few pictures of the main mast knighthead as there were ample pictures presented during the fore mast knighthead construction. The main mast knightheads are not fixed to the deck as final fixing to the deck will be done after the cannons are all installed.

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

Regards, Rock

The cannon work begins with single blocks (without hooks) being attached and rigged to the cannon carriage. There will be no hooks attached to these single blocks as there are not enough space to have hooks on boths ends - won't have room for tight rigging.  The double blocks that are connected to the inner hull wall and to the other end of the rigging have been constructed with hooks.  The demi-culverins are installed in a slightly different configurations - 2 cannons fully deployed, 2 cannons on a stand-by positions. 

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

Regards, Rock

Continues to look great.  

Did you paint the rings or blacken them chemically?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

1 minute ago, robert952 said:

Continues to look great.  

Did you paint the rings or blacken them chemically?

Hi Robert~ 

Thanks for your comment! I blackened them chemically. I usually put the chemical in a small plastic holder and put it in a bigger container that has hot water in it. This way, the chemical process happens almost instantly and I can save time and the amount of chemical to be applied.

Hope this clarifies~

Rock

Regards, Rock

Posted (edited)

Happy New Year~!

I have finished all the hull & deck related work last week. Instead of starting the mast & rigging work on GH1, I decided to work on GH2 for a while - plan to finish the hull & deck work on GH2 before resuming work on GH1. I plan to apply different style, deck configuration, colour schemes and etc for GH2. I will be posting the work on GH2 only on the areas that do not duplicate the previously posted work streams.

Below are some pictures taken from the last hull & deck work on GH1. Also posted are some pictures with unfinished masts put in place.

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

B37FAC63-88A3-4E78-95BC-7CC6FC6166B0.jpeg

0E654C7D-1470-4DFD-B40A-FD573801CA8C.jpeg

Regards, Rock