Golden Hind by Rock_From_Korea - 1:48

In the same fashion but applying different design, I finished the stern section of the upper part. Also, after much consideration, I tried a very different design for the highest part of the stern section. I am not completely satisfied with this particular part and considered painting this part in dark green or even dark blue - but still not sure. I would appreciate and welcome any/all recommendations/suggestions from experienced MSW members. I may even strip the whole wood panels and redo this particular section with other designs/patterns/paintigs. Until I get a clear idea, I may leave it as is for the time being.

P1060109.JPG

P1060110.JPG

P1060111.JPG

P1060112.JPG

P1060113.JPG

P1060114.JPG

Edited by Rock_From_Korea

Regards, Rock

Current project : Golden Hind 1:48 scratch build

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

Possibly maintaining one common angle to the decreasing height right angle triangles might be pleasing to the eye.  Presently the angles vary which might be what is distracting to the balance.  Otherwise I think it looks amazing.  Well done.

As for COVID.

It is climbing back here in Canada... it never went away, people just decided they had enough of it and any restrictions imposed.

I understand that if we'd have only kept wearing masks the damn virus would have died out as it could not have been passed on.

Masks kept Covid, Influenza (the flu), and the common cold at bay... and now cases are increasing and heads are buried deep in the sand.

I have always been impressed by the care people in the far east display for their neighbours.  Donning a mask when having the sniffles so as not to pass on any cold.  Here it seems people are more concerned for their "assumed rights" then the health of their fellow man, and politicians are more concerned with our vote then our health.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

13 minutes ago, AON said:

Possibly maintaining one common angle to the decreasing height right angle triangles might be pleasing to the eye.  Presently the angles vary which might be what is distracting to the balance.  Otherwise I think it looks amazing.  Well done.

As for COVID.

It is climbing back here in Canada... it never went away, people just decided they had enough of it and any restrictions imposed.

I understand that if we'd have only kept wearing masks the damn virus would have died out as it could not have been passed on.

Masks kept Covid, Influenza (the flu), and the common cold at bay... and now cases are increasing and heads are buried deep in the sand.

I have always been impressed by the care people in the far east display for their neighbours.  Donning a mask when having the sniffles so as not to pass on any cold.  Here it seems people are more concerned for their "assumed rights" then the health of their fellow man, and politicians are more concerned with our vote then our health.

Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for your kind comments and suggestion! I agree with you that at least on one side, the angles do vary (quite prominently) on the triangles - don't know how/why I missed that. I think I will retouch those areas later on - maybe to the extent of not damaging or polluting the overall area. 

On COVID, sorry to hear that Canada is experiencing more cases as well. I just don't understand how we all got COVID despite the vaccinations and constant wearing of masks. Guess even the masks have limitations - even the sturdy KP-94 masks!

Thanks and regards,

Rock

Regards, Rock

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

Hello Rock. I follow your work. Since I was young, I have associated this ship with coloring, such as the one on the Heller kit. I think that this is the most consistent with the coloring of English ships of that time.
But the result of course depends on your decision. I keep my fingers crossed. :imNotWorthy:Ondras

1348906138_GoldenHindHeller.jpg.d32241abbbcd1ada28b90ccab22e8517.jpg

808742103_GoldenHind.thumb.jpg.f1bfd7e00bf2e2e3105b6e5acefb53e1.jpg

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en

When I painted my Pelican/Golden Hind I found these possibilities.
The number behind the examples indicates which way was most common.
No painting (the word "niets" behind the examples)  was actually the most common way. But, that's not much use to us model builders, not?? 😉

IMG_20180216_182912.thumb.jpg.79f2ac3e6b8319120006d22be84b0b57.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2 hours ago, Ondras71 said:

Hello Rock. I follow your work. Since I was young, I have associated this ship with coloring, such as the one on the Heller kit. I think that this is the most consistent with the coloring of English ships of that time.
But the result of course depends on your decision. I keep my fingers crossed. :imNotWorthy:Ondras

1348906138_GoldenHindHeller.jpg.d32241abbbcd1ada28b90ccab22e8517.jpg

808742103_GoldenHind.thumb.jpg.f1bfd7e00bf2e2e3105b6e5acefb53e1.jpg

Hi Ondras71,

Thanks so much for your input! Will definitely put these on family vote!

Best regards,

Rock

Regards, Rock

17 minutes ago, Baker said:

When I painted my Pelican/Golden Hind I found these possibilities.
The number behind the examples indicates which way was most common.
No painting (the word "niets" behind the examples)  was actually the most common way. But, that's not much use to us model builders, not?? 😉

IMG_20180216_182912.thumb.jpg.79f2ac3e6b8319120006d22be84b0b57.jpg

Hi Patrick,

Thanks very much for these! You definitely seem to have put a lot of research on Golden Hind. I did not realize that 'no painting' of the upper hull was that common. I will defintely take your research into consideration. Anyway, I decided to put these decisions (pretty much only these) to family vote. So far, the biggest supporter of the current state is my daughter who is an art student - so she has quite a big weight! Nonetheless, I am still not very satisfied on how this particular section turned out. Either way, thanks again for your valuable information!

Best regards,

Rock

Regards, Rock

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am finally doing prep work for the stern side balcony to be installed. Touching up the ceiling(?) above the balcony with strips of thin wood. Also, I decided to put in place 2 stern cannon doors (fake ones) just to be true to the contemporary historical depiction of Golden  Hind - Aeropiccola plan does not include the stern cannon openings. Stern Cannon door work being done in tandem wirh the supporting structure to be installed above the balcony...ceiling(?)

P1060115.JPG

P1060116.JPG

P1060117.JPG

P1060118.JPG

P1060119.JPG

P1060120.JPG

Regards, Rock

Supporting structures (cannot remember the name) for the balcony are cut into the shapes (2 different shapes applied) sanded and installed.

P1060127.JPG

P1060128.JPG

P1060129.JPG

P1060130.JPG

P1060131.JPG

Regards, Rock

The "supporting structures" These are knees.

Types and how to remember.

Hanging knees hang one the ceiling.

Standing knees stand on the floor.

lodging knees lie horizontal.

;)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Baker said:

The "supporting structures" These are knees.

Types and how to remember.

Hanging knees hang one the ceiling.

Standing knees stand on the floor.

lodging knees lie horizontal.

;)

Ah yes~! Knees! I just remembered. Although I did not know about different types of knees. Thanks~ Patrick!

Regards, Rock

Hi All,

Quick update on the GH prototype shipyard. I decided to finish the stern part before moving to next items. I contemplated on what kind of decoration/coat of arms to use for the stern decoration (?, once again, I am not sure about the right jargon for this part). Aeropiccola plans suggest the royal coat of arms, but I find this highly unlikely as Drake was a privateer who had a secret and unofficial backing of the crown (Elizabeth I). Although Elizabeth invested in Drake's endeavors and secretly condoned the attack on enemy ships and cargo, royal coat of arms on the GH seems too far fetched.  So, I considered couple of alternatives - 1) no decoration, 2) a big golden hinde (as in the London replica), 3) Christopher Hatton coat of arms, 4) royal coat of arms. I concluded for number 3 as although a coat of arms of Sir Christopher Hatton may also be somewhat far-fetched, it is still more plausible than the royal one. Furthermore, the ship's name change was specifically to honour the endeavor's principal patron - Sir Christopher Hatton - and thus golden hinde in his coat of arms. Anyway, I sourced a number of coat of arms of Christopher Hatton and decided to go for one of them. The below picture show the final candidate and the works on frame..

P1060132.JPG

P1060136.JPG

P1060138.JPG

P1060139.JPG

Regards, Rock

Work continues first on the overall touching up of the stern face with thin strips of hard wood. Also, the face where the paintings will be done have been prepared with the thin strips used for decking (soft wood).

P1060140.JPG

P1060141.JPG

P1060142.JPG

P1060143.JPG

P1060145.JPG

P1060146.JPG

Regards, Rock

The painting begins in ernest. I regretted this decision from this point onwards (I should have chosen the big golden hinde option!!) as the chosen design seems to be much more difficult to render as I thought. Anyway, although the final result is not exactly satisfactory, I think it looks OK at least  from some distance. The close up picture definitely shows my lack of artistic talent. I did not make another attempt as I was not sure if the subsequent attempts would produce significantly better outcomes. For GH2 and GH3, I shall attempt for improvements, if not achieved I think I may either turn to a simpler design or decide to glue a print-out and varnish over it - which I was tempted many times for the GH prototype as well. The small golden hinde at the top looks more like golden hound than hinde......lol~

P1060147.JPG

P1060148.JPG

P1060149.JPG

P1060150.JPG

P1060151.JPG

P1060152.JPG

Regards, Rock

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

It has been quite hectic at work and thus the recent tardiness on the shipyard. I have managed to do the finishing touches on the balcony, and further deck laying on the forecastle area and the upper quarterdeck. The below are some recent pictures of the finishing touches on the balcony. P1060154.thumb.JPG.e8fee5c3e608ce9c520554bc89264d90.JPG

P1060153.JPG

P1060155.JPG

P1060156.JPG

P1060157.JPG

P1060158.JPG

Regards, Rock

An interim overall look and the decking begins. I have posted just a few pictures on decking work as this involves much generic work already covered in my log.

P1060162.JPG

P1060163.JPG

P1060164.JPG

P1060165.JPG

P1060166.JPG

P1060167.JPG

Regards, Rock

Good progress.  Thanks for the new pics. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello shipmates~!

Still quite busy at work, but getting slightly better. I have finshed the forecastle decking, treenails on the forecastle deck, railings around the forecastle area and the grating on forecastle. A tiny amount of olive oil has been applied to the forecastle deck - looks better and cleaner than the gun deck where I applied lots of olive oil and thus inadvertently smeared the deck with the black pen used to bring out the caulking effect.  Please see below some pictures during the work.

P1060177.JPG

P1060182.JPG

P1060179.JPG

P1060180.JPG

P1060184.JPG

P1060186.JPG

P1060190.JPG

Regards, Rock

Olive oil?  Like the cooking kit?   If ii is, I worry about pests going for it and also it turning rancid.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Olive oil?  Like the cooking kit?   If ii is, I worry about pests going for it and also it turning rancid.  

Oh~ ok.. did not know that olive oil would have such an adverse impact compared to teak oil. I just could not get hold of teak oil in Korea. Someone in MSW suggested that olive oil could be a good alternative to teak oil. I suppose I will have to look harder for teak oil then. Thanks for you input,  Mark!

Regards, Rock

2 minutes ago, Rock_From_Korea said:

Oh~ ok.. did not know that olive oil would have such an adverse impact compared to teak oil. I just could not get hold of teak oil in Korea. Someone in MSW suggested that olive oil could be a good alternative to teak oil. I suppose I will have to look harder for teak oil then. Thanks for you input,  Mark!

By the way, when a certain section is all done and no more glueing required, I usually apply varnish to finish that section. I suppose varnish would mitigate some of the negative impacts of olive oil?

Regards, Rock

Continued from the 1st upload. Railings around the forcastle intalled and forcastle inner hull work done. Forcastle grating work begins- I decided not to put a ladder there.

P1060191.JPG

P1060192.JPG

P1060193.JPG

P1060194.JPG

P1060196.JPG

P1060198.JPG

Regards, Rock

Finishing the forecastle deck area. The main railing on top of forcastle had to be bent a bit in order to adjust to the hulls's curvature.

P1060195.JPG

P1060199.JPG

P1060200.JPG

P1060197.JPG

P1060201.JPG

Regards, Rock

15 hours ago, Rock_From_Korea said:

By the way, when a certain section is all done and no more glueing required, I usually apply varnish to finish that section. I suppose varnish would mitigate some of the negative impacts of olive oil?

It probably will as it will keep the air from reacting with the olive oil.  Though with varnish, I'm not sure you'd need the olive oil.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

It probably will as it will keep the air from reacting with the olive oil.  Though with varnish, I'm not sure you'd need the olive oil.   

Yeah~ I think you are right. I used olive oil to see how the wood would look like once vanished. But I suppose I can do without olive oil in most instances.

Thanks Mark!

Regards, Rock

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All~

Almost spring here in Korea~ I had to make some emergency repairs to Santa Maria that I built about 20 years ago (my first wooden ship model) - a present to my mother.

Consequently, I did not have much time to spend on my current project. Nevertheless, there has been some progress on the forecastle - the front rails and its structures, forecastle belaying pin rack. 

Originally, I intended to use no belaying pins on my GH and only apply 16th century belaying structures. However, after much consideration, I decided that belaying all the required rigging without any belaying pins would be too painful. I will, however, limit the usage of belaying pins as much as possible. Below are some pictures on these works.

I still have not been successful in sourcing hard wood strips. And once again, decommissioned hard wood chopsticks became quite useful. 

P1060207.JPG

P1060202.JPG

P1060203.JPG

P1060204.JPG

P1060205.JPG

Regards, Rock

I decided to put in an alternative structure (I forgot the name of this) in place (on top of the forecastle front rail) to ease the rigging work later on. I was not sure how these would look in the end, but they came out OK I think.

P1060208.JPG

P1060209.JPG

P1060210.JPG

P1060211.JPG

Regards, Rock

Forecastle belaying pin rack work - once again decommissioned hard wood chopsticks came in handy.

P1060212.JPG

P1060213.JPG

P1060214.JPG

P1060215.JPG

P1060216.JPG

P1060217.JPG

Regards, Rock