Golden Hind by Rock_From_Korea - 1:48

I used a simple design for the hinges and I think the results are quite OK. I plan to apply this simple method for all door hinges including cannon doors.

P1050902.JPG

P1050901.JPG

P1050903.JPG

P1050904.JPG

Regards, Rock

Current project : Golden Hind 1:48 scratch build

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

Doors blackened and finally attached. There will be small additional work later on (e.g. the door stopper inside the frame). A Lego sailor (Rocky) has been hired to gauge the appropriateness of scale. A 175cm tall (same height as myself) in 1:48 scale Lego sailor stands slightly taller than the top of the door. I suppose with the average height of the English sailors in the 16th century (I believe slightly above 160 cm), the proportion seems OK. Rocky looks kind of angry, but he is just being serious~!

P1050905.JPG

P1050907.JPG

P1050908.JPG

P1050909.JPG

P1050910.JPG

P1050911.JPG

Edited by Rock_From_Korea

Regards, Rock

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

1 hour ago, CiscoH said:

Just read your build from the beginning- really great!  Thank you for posting. 

Hi CiscoH,

Thanks very much for your kind words~!

Regards, Rock

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been a while since my last update as I have been quite busy at work recently. I managed to finish the door & window frames at the aft gallery area and also finished planking this section. After which I began planking the upper levels. 

P1050912.JPG

P1050914.JPG

P1050915.JPG

P1050916.JPG

Regards, Rock

Before starting the planking of the upper area (starting with the weather-deck), I deliberated a lot on what type of wood I should be using. Couple of tests later, I decided to use a thinner, more flexible wood strip for these areas. After installing 2 rows, I began to regret this decision as the overall look did not correspond to the tests I performed before. Anyway, I will contemplate on what to do with this section but will definitely not use this strip of wood for GH2 and beyond.

P1050913.JPG

P1050917.JPG

P1050918.JPG

P1050919.JPG

P1050920.JPG

P1050921.JPG

P1050922.JPG

Regards, Rock

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I finished the planking on lower part of the forecastle and after castle, with additional layer of planking done inside. I am still not very satisfied with this part of the planking and redrew the whole planking plan of GH2. I will apply quite different planking scheme for GH2 and have been working on the first planking of GH2. 

Anyway, below are some pictures of the finishing work on the weather deck planking. 

P1050930.JPG

P1050929.JPG

P1050931.JPG

P1050932.JPG

Regards, Rock

I also started on balcony. I laminated several thin layers of wood sheets to get the desired shape and thickness of the base of balcony and then applied the deck strips both above and below. I am still deliberating on what type of design I am going to apply for the balcony, but for this prototype I am thinking to make it an open balcony - i.e. not applying side panels but with podium like poles. 

P1050862.JPG

P1050863.JPG

P1050864.JPG

P1050865.JPG

P1050933.JPG

P1050934.JPG

Regards, Rock

Looking very good!  😊

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since my last update. I was finishing the second layer planking of GH2. I tried to test how the overall ship would look like if I applied second planking  all the way to the weather deck level. Frankly, I think I like the GH1 look better. The wales of GH2 were dyed with a different color from GH1 and this I think looks better than the simple black wales. Below are couple of pictures of the current state of GH2. Also, I am testing slightly more sturdier wood for the display rack, with different wood dye applied.

P1050953.JPG

P1050954.JPG

P1050955.JPG

Regards, Rock

Back to GH1! On top of the second planking of GH2, I managed to finish the windows and door of the stern area. The stern door was made using similar method as the beakhead area doors - with just minor difference. I also made some modification in the stern area to secure the balcony for future work on it. 

P1050936.JPG

P1050937.JPG

P1050938.JPG

P1050939.JPG

Regards, Rock

For windows, I used simple clear plastic container (contained fruits I think) as the window panel on which I just scratched with a thin file to get the lead latticed window effect of 16th century galleon. Below are some photos of these works.

P1050943.JPG

P1050940.JPG

P1050942.JPG

P1050944.JPG

P1050945.JPG

Regards, Rock

I like how you did the window panes.... I think I may be copying that.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

1 hour ago, AON said:

'Looks to me (after scrolling up for the close shot of the windows) that a diagonal grid was scratched onto the surface of the clear plastic material - presumably prior to cutting the window to size from the scribed stock.  One could apply black (or dark grey) color into the scribing with a fine tipped 'Micron' marker (from Pigma) - available at many craft stores.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

6 hours ago, AON said:

On second examination, it may be a thread lattice ... but how this was done (if thread was used) would be nice to see.  A darker grey (if thread) might simulate lead cames used on such windows (same as used for stained glass windows).

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

He states that he scratched it with a thin file.

There is no mention of any other steps.

If there were any I would certainly like to read about them!

Alan O'Neill

3 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

On second examination, it may be a thread lattice ... but how this was done (if thread was used) would be nice to see.  A darker grey (if thread) might simulate lead cames used on such windows (same as used for stained glass windows).

Hi~ nothing fancy was done here. I just scratched the lattice forms with the thinnest file I have on to the back of the plastic panel.

Regards, Rock

On 7/25/2022 at 5:13 AM, AON said:

He states that he scratched it with a thin file.

There is no mention of any other steps.

If there were any I would certainly like to read about them!

You are right, AON. I just scratched the lattice design with a thin file~

Regards, Rock

Hi All,

Finally, the work on stern balcony started in ernest. I have used disposable bamboo chopsticks to get the rounded pillars into shape. These bamboo chopsticks are quite hard but still relatively easy to work on.  Once again, I used the IKEA drill for shaping these pillars.  Below are some pictures during this process. The picture in the middle shows the original unprocessed bamboo chopstick along with the half processed bits and final product.

P1050960.JPG

P1050964.JPG

P1050961.JPG

These rounded pillars will be positioned in an evenly spaced interval throughout the outer edges of the balcony except for the corners - which will need to have wider pillars to fasten both sideway and horizontal stern balcony taffrails. Once again I used a decommissioned hard wood choptstick to get these rectangular pillars.

P1050947.thumb.JPG.c1fe70e1362b870194e3754857888b53.JPG

Adding comment

Regards, Rock

These rounded and rectangular pillars are positioned and calibrated for angle etc before glueing into position.

P1050965.JPG

The rounded pillars are dyed with light oak color.

P1050966.JPG
For the balcony taffrails, I laminated 3 thin hardwood sheets to come up with naturally curving shape.

P1050967.thumb.JPG.6509d4ff18c2e087cfc20fd9f0ce2870.JPG

P1050968.thumb.JPG.f5826a5948b9a3cf4098452411507819.JPG

Regards, Rock

Not the final product yet, but the stern balcony is put in place for further work later on - after the planking work on the areas above wheatherdeck and etc.

P1050974.JPG

P1050975.JPG

P1050976.JPG

P1050977.JPG

Regards, Rock

That looks damn good!!!  😉

Alan O'Neill