Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

Nice job on the planking Larry.  Get her sanded then step back and admire what you've accomplished.  You should be proud.....and I'm smiling over here.

Good idea on the epoxy.  Tightens everything up.  I'll bet she feels like a Louisville Slugger by now!

WELL DONE  :) 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Popeye, Sjors and Augie! I thought I would never get it done. I'm still thinking of the Wappen von Hamburg for a future build and it's certainly a bigger model, but it's many months in the future.

I'm currently sanding the hull, and starting to realize getting every high and low spot out may not happen without the possibility of sanding in a flat spot. Using filler does not appeal to me, so I'll get it to a point where I believe it's acceptable and see how it looks with paint.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hi Larry

Good work and a good idea about a coat of paint

I use a flat white undercoat first.

That tends to show up any highs and lows :)

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Hi Ken,

Thanks for looking in. I was debating on first applying white primer. I'll probably procrastinate over the decision for days... :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Quick update...

I've been busy filing the gunports and sweep ports to the final size. I did not realize how much I left them undersized until I started filing, and filing and filing. Ten gunports are completed as well as all of the sweep ports. I also applied some Hobby Light filler in a couple of places on the hull that had a small void.

When I needed a break from filing, I took some scrap planking and glued it together as a paint test board. I was wondering if the primer made much difference in how the paint looked. Immediately I discovered a lack of primer resulted in the glue smears standing out very plainly, leaving a blotchy look. A very light coat of primer made the paint very consistent. I'll also use this scrap piece to experiment with Wipe On Poly, the sealer purchased from Model Expo and Dull Coat.

During another filing break, I cut some stock paper (10 mils thick) to see how it would look as the side butt boards for the sweep ports. Overall the card stock looked right, so I'll use that material if I can do a decent enough job getting them cut to the correct size, aligned correctly and painted - they are very small.

Hopefully I'll finish up filing the remaining gunports in a day or two and get back to sanding the hull.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Model ship building has taken a small delay in construction due to visitors and family, but I want to share something that I seen come up for sale at an excellent price.

I follow Augies excellent build of the US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64 and like many enjoy his craftsmanship as well as his friendship. A short while ago he mentioned how he likes a microsander sold by Micromark and it looked like an excellent tool for sanding difficult places. Once I seen it, I had to have one but I hate to pay retail or normally advertised prices for anything, so I've been waiting for this item to go on sale. This week Micro-Mark has their power tools on sale which includes the micro-sander (mine is on order) The price that has been advertised lately was $92.65 USD, but this week it's $69.95.

Here is the web page link for their sale,  http://link.micromark.com/YesConnect/HtmlMessagePreview?a=hC-QgesCZVEcAYGjbwhQdS

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Don't forget to send my royalty check to my home address :D ,

Seriously, I think you'll find more use for it then you expect.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Good moring Augie! I hope your having a good weekend. Your check is in the mail... :)
I have a few sanding areas on my Niagara that are very tight and I've been holding off on working them until the tool shows up.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Scott. I'm taking a short break but occasionally sand on her when it's not too cold in the garage. Hopefully the weather will turner warmer soon and I can resume the build.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Larry

Must of missed some of your earlier posts. Nice work on the planking! It must be a good feeling to get past that. The meanest are those that turn from the upswing to the counter and then down to the stern post. You look to have that well sorted out. Good to see you back at it. Florida, cold? Have I got my view of the planet wrong? Isn't yours the State that the northerners rush to in winter to escape the cold? Put on a thick jersey and get going ;).

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for the compliment and for looking in. Yes, it's much warmer here than many places (including home), but after getting used to the warmth it dos not take much of a temperature drop to get me shivering... :) Anything under 65F feels cold to my old bones.

I'm glad the hull planking is complete. It cleaned up decent with some sanding and now if can only get the gun and sweep ports to their final size, I can start painting.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the log! But um... A lot of pictures are missing :( I'm working on the Niagara as well, but I bit it off as my first ship. Seemed like a good idea at the time. You name it, I've made it. Outta plastic. This is an entirely different world! Loving it though. :piratetongueor4:

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Thanks for the log! But um... A lot of pictures are missing :( I'm working on the Niagara as well, but I bit it off as my first ship. Seemed like a good idea at the time. You name it, I've made it. Outta plastic. This is an entirely different world! Loving it though. :piratetongueor4:

Welcome to the Niagara club! Thanks for the heads up regarding the missing pictures. I've been away for a while and was not aware there was a problem. I have no idea what caused the issue but I re-posted them today. Good luck with your build, I'm sure your ship will look amazing.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I'mmmmmm Baaaack! It's been a while since I've posted anything or worked on my Niagara. Lots of family issues and health problems just kept getting in the way so I simply put my ship on hold. I've started once again...

Since my last post I've completed the following items.

Added topmost plank on both port and starboard sides.

Finished shaping and squaring up gun ports and sweep ports

Touched up a lot of interior paint damage

Started working on the deck planking

In regard to the deck planking I decided to use a 50% diluted golden oak stain with pencil shading on one side to simulate deck caulking. I have the port nib strake (plank?) installed and decided not to notch it due to the small size, thinking it will look better unnotched as compared to what could easily be a sloppy looking outcome. Likewise, I also decided to run full length deck planks and not taper them. I kinda like this look better due to the deck being so busy and also due to the lack of a false deck which could have resulted in resulted in a rough looking deck.

I hope everyone is healthy and doing well. With a little luck I'll pick up some steam get some model ship building accomplished on a more regular timeframe.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the two "X" spots on the deck is where I need to cut out the mast location holes.

post-277-0-04468000-1405438750_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-44221400-1405438751_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-05194300-1405438753_thumb.jpg

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

It's good to have you 'home' Larry.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie & Sjors,

Thanks for the warm welcome back! 

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I have no idea what caused the issue but I re-posted them today.

Thanks. They're a huge help:) The folks that run this system had a corrupt drive that hosts our pics. They did a great job retrieving what they were able to. And thanks for the Welcome.

I have a niece in up state New York that is Federal Port Authority and she saw the brig last summer in Buffalo and told me about it because she new I have long been fascinated by that war. (We should have let the Brits keep Detroit.) Born and raised in Grand Rapids, Michigan, I'm probably one of a handful that can name all the lakes. Much less tell you where each one is.

Anyway, we're "planning" to fly to Grand Rapids, Michigan, from our current home in California in September to see family. From there we'll rent a car and drive along as much of the St. Lawrence in Canada as we can, stop and see the falls for the thousandth time, - Never see them from the U.S. side. What an arm pit - see my niece in Ogdensburg, about as up state New York as you can get, then drive the U.S. side back. They have tours scheduled until late September on the Niagara. I "THINK" you can help sail her in the summer. I know students can.

Incidentally, the boys and I once camped along the St. Lawrence next to the locks. BIG mistake. 5 am, the ships blast their horns. I swear they do it to antagonize idiots in tents. I love up state Michigan. Lot's 'o Vineyards.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Hi, Larry,

I'm going to plank the deck before the hull, just for the experience. Deck is more crowded and will hide mistakes I expect to make in my learning curve. Having said that, I see (or at least I understand from what I'm looking at) from the plans regarding the bit holes for the fife rails, that I can do some framing, or I can use dowels. Not at all sure what that means.  My interpretation: Leaving the framing off, I can put a small dowel in the center of the bottom of the rail posts, drill a hole of the same size through the deck, and rely on that tiny bit of glue to hold the posts (bit?) in place, OR I can build a frame to fit around the post itself and make the post long enough to fit into the framing through the deck. Which sounds sturdier.

Or should I go smoke crack?

Brian

In Dry Dock:

Hi Brian,

I decided to take care of the hull first so I still had access to the inside allowing me to coat the interior with epoxy which increased the strength a great deal. At this point, I'm thinking of gluing structures to the deck surface and pin where it makes sense. I may change my mind once I get to that point but for now it's pin and glue.

I'm glad the photos helped....

Larry

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I know I read in here a discussion on epoxy, but If you'd reiterate what you'll use, I appreciate it. Good timing. I'd have started the deck this evening.

What about diluting wood glue with water? Hm... Epoxy is still holding the handle to open the gate on my truck so I can open it. Thanks!

In Dry Dock:

I know I read in here a discussion on epoxy, but If you'd reiterate what you'll use, I appreciate it. Good timing. I'd have started the deck this evening.

What about diluting wood glue with water? Hm... Epoxy is still holding the handle to open the gate on my truck so I can open it. Thanks!

I use z-poxy finishing resin primarily due to having some left over from another build. It is two part, brushes on very well and is sold at many places including Amazon. I've also used diluted Titebond (white wood glue). I diluted it enough to where it will brush on easily. Both work fine but IMO the epoxy is stronger,

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Gerty, thanks for looking in and for the compliment.

Hi Scott, the paints I used are from Model Expo, which they have made to their specifications  http://www.modelexpo-online.com/  

I used the colors they suggested for the Niagara which are identified on their web site. Model Expo says their paints are a replica of the paint colors used on the ship, I believe from the first build but I'm pulling that from memory which is getting shorter every day :)

If you decide to buy their paints and are not in a hurry, they can be purchased at 1/2 off from time to time. The main thing to remember about Model Expo is they have huge sale discounts on practically everything - jst sign up for the e-mail notices. 

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I'm with Larry on this.  MS paints work for me.  I usually dilute them quite a bit and use many thin, rather than just a few thick, coats.  They usually do not give much of a 'shine' (which I hate on a ship model).  If they do, a quick coat of Testor's Clear Acrylic Lacquer (Dullcoat) solves that issue.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That was it. Z-poxy. I think I'll use that because I suspect the hull will need some sanding and being so thin, there's little to back stop it. I call this ship a bach ship. As I go and when I'm done I'm getting a million pictures. Then I'm going to bash it and toss it in the trash. Just a learning experience. 900 thousand things not to do ever again, and counting.

Brian

In Dry Dock: