Nisha by Glomar - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Brixham 'Mumble-Bee'

Your first planks look good to me. Not all the planks are the same thickness, some are slightly thicker than others, they can all be sanded down later. I found it easier to leave a plank longer than it needed to be, I then glued it at the Bow and worked my way to the Stern glueing at a couple of Frames at a time. When I was a couple of inches from the Stern I then cut and filed the plank to fit at the Stern. The Stern area is tricky because of the shape, you will get some small gaps which can be filled when the planking is done.

12 minutes ago, Craigie65 said:

@starlight I would normally agree, but the design of this kit does not need a rabbet (rebate) for the first planking. I found both Nisha and Erycina can have the first plank added without it.  The lines allow the garboard plank to sit well. There are additional parts which form the rabbet for the second planking.  

I will defer to your knowledge then, since I have not built this kit before! My Fly kit definitely needed a rabbet but there was no mention of such in the instructions. Consequently, I didn't rabbet the keel and ended up with an ugly gap on my garboard strakes.

-starlight

@starlight Here is my build of Erycina. The garboard plank sits well and the additional pieces form a nice rabbet for the second planking.  All down to the great design from Chris Watton.

image.jpg

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

2 hours ago, starlight said:

I will defer to your knowledge then, since I have not built this kit before! My Fly kit definitely needed a rabbet but there was no mention of such in the instructions. Consequently, I didn't rabbet the keel and ended up with an ugly gap on my garboard strakes.

-starlight

Fly was designed almost two decades ago, so quite old school. You do not need to chisel in a rabbet for my newer kits.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

7 hours ago, chris watton said:

Fly was designed almost two decades ago, so quite old school. You do not need to chisel in a rabbet for my newer kits.

Of course, and by no means am I complaining. I have noticed many quality of life improvements that are showing up in more modern kits: laser-etched deck planking, bulkhead bevel guides, resin guns, etc. I am definitely considering buying a Vanguard kit as my next project... but perhaps I am thinking too far ahead :)

Thank you all for your help! With your experience and encouragement, I have gotten back to where I was previously but in MUCH better shape. 

Some key things that I have learned: 

1) Beveling the top inside of the plank is key!!! I was a bit subtle at first but I found really making sure it have an edge at a 45 angle really help planks lined up  

2) Attaching the bulwarks (for me anyways) was not as easy as just eyeing it. I made like tick strip to make sure that they lined up as close as possible 

3) Having good tiny clamps is clutch. I know people have clamps specifically for planking but just having one under the frame ahead of the one you are working on helps keep things in line (pic below) 
4) For the stern planks, I found it was helpful to start at the stern using wood glue and just keep pressure on it for a few mins before nailing. That said this is my first planking job and I have only accomplished the easy part thus far so I could be absolutely missing something. 

Things I am about to learn
1) The folly of driving the nails all the way in. Not sure how to fix it but I am sure it is going to be loads of fun and not at all

soul crushing. I hear you though maybe a bit to late @starlight

Next steps are going to be trying to tackle the lower planks. I have a theoritical understanding of what to do, but thankfully @Craigie65 , who has been helping me navigate this, has generously offered his expertise. 

It is not perfect, but it is ALOT better than what it was and I feel pretty good about it. Truly thankful for everyones guidance, patience and support. My work has me encounter truly horrible situations almost daily, so on top of everything, the positivity and sense of community here has really been an amazing surprise. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Glomar,

Looking much better.

You should be able to lever the nails out.  Take care doing that.

Can you test whether part 58 will fit correctly on the stem?  I cannot quite see from the final photo but plank number 2 looks to be touching the front of the stem. You might get away with carving it back to fit 58. 

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Glomar, looking much better.  Your patience is paying off.  I've read that nipper pliers can be used to coax those nails out when they are in as far as yours are.  Remember that practiclly any oops can be fixed, so take your time.  Gouges can be filled and sanded to that you never knew they were there, especially if you've got a second planking.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

I use a chisel blade which is fine enough to get under the nail head.  Whilst I have never had a blade break I do wear safety glasses.

image.jpg

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

• 2 weeks later...

Busy week so sorry for not posting sooner but I was able to make some pretty good progress! 

I was able to finish the planking! I was a bit too aggressive with the tapering toward the stern and bow but for my first go around I am pretty happy with it and I am much better prepared for the next round. I am working on the second layer of planking right now. Since it is going to be seen, I am trying to be strategic in how I lay out the planks. 

image.thumb.png.cc61ee03af0830cca4e2eee98728352d.png

That looks really good , Glomar!

Brilliant to see you have persevered and won the battle of the first planking.  It does get easier as you have something to guide you and, of course, you learn so much from the first.

Looking forward to seeing the second planking. 

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Nice and clean looking.  Should make 2nd planking so much easier.  The first few strakes are showing the benefits of your wise choice to restart and improving your work with what you learned the first go-around.  Out of curiousity, how did you decide to remove the nails?  I went totally off script planking my Jolly Boat so I don't have any experience using nails in that discipline.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

9 hours ago, Peanut6 said:

Nice and clean looking.  Should make 2nd planking so much easier.  The first few strakes are showing the benefits of your wise choice to restart and improving your work with what you learned the first go-around.  Out of curiousity, how did you decide to remove the nails?  I went totally off script planking my Jolly Boat so I don't have any experience using nails in that discipline.

Thanks @Peanut6! Honestly I found success in just using the edge of a dull xacto blade to pry the nails out 

So already running into issues on the 2nd planking! I am having trouble with the stern again with the S curve. Are lips/gaps like this to be expected or am I doing something wrong? I put a pretty deep bevel towards the back to try and compensate for the curve.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! image.png.0665d5f120f35d4d00eadaa7dca66d72.png

I'm at the same place at the same time with the same problem on my build. Care to share the secret to success, wealth, and eternal happiness?

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

Hi Jonathan,

Whilst I cannot part with my secret for wealth and happiness, here are my steps for getting that pesky plank on

mine.

I had two planks below the bulwark before turning the next to meet the stern. The first plank was full like you have, the second covered the triangular shape. 

The third plank is tricky, as you have to twist it to meet the counter.

Where the third 1704135B-8F23-4413-8451-D939ACB8D17F.thumb.jpeg.1b868454afbbadbd8316035eba70ff53.jpegplank wants to ride up over the second, I chose to twist the plank so that it lay on top of the edge of the second plank rather than meeting it at an angle.  I use CA glue to help me here.  I think I had to sand a little at the point where the third  plank twists to help it sit better.  I was then able to sand the contour, using the trick of sawdust and glue to fill any small gaps.  

The starboard side was the best.  Looking at the port I had to shape a hook into the second plank to let the third rest better.  You can just about see that in the picture below. After that the remaining planks sat fine with edge bevelling and a bit of edge bending (steam the rear if you are doing this).

Once all your second planking is done a bit of gentle sanding will bring it all together.

656597C5-699E-4289-87D4-CE3BE8AA4349.jpeg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

What I did was keep the second plank below the bulwark roughly parallel to the first plank and didn’t twist it to fit at all. Then added the third plank at a near right angle with its end against the stern counter. Then sanded the second plank down to shape.620F294E-11BD-4161-99BF-E0CA567B3287.thumb.jpeg.43dbf3b36923c3c53fa18650a0772eae.jpegEE0C6531-1C05-4E60-B401-D3D19FF667BC.thumb.jpeg.76bee0e2e17d28a88cdba5ccb4256eb7.jpeg

Seems to have worked OK on both sides - there’s a tiny fit of filler which could have been avoided if I’d sanded down the second plank to be roughly in shape before fitting the third plank. 

I’m a beginner too, on my second build, so this might be technically the wrong approach but provides a relatively easy and aesthetically tidy solution. 

There’s more photos on my Nisha build log and I’m only slightly ahead of you in my build Glomar. 

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

DB789

Originally I tried to plank as you have shown the third plank, but it was just not sitting right for me at the cross over from where it changes from vertical to almost horizontal to meet the counter.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

3 hours ago, DB789 said:

What I did was keep the second plank below the bulwark roughly parallel to the first plank and didn’t twist it to fit at all. Then added the third plank at a near right angle with its end against the stern counter. Then sanded the second plank down to shape

That's also the way I did this part of the second planking but I didn't have any photos of this and I wasn't sure I could describe it clearly. This part was the hardest bit to do. 

Totally agree, that this was the most difficult plank.  What I could not get my head around was the prototype build had this plank neither on or below the one above.   If you look closely it actually straddles the corner of the counter - I was convinced that I had put the bulwarks on too high.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

30 minutes ago, Craigie65 said:

Totally agree, that this was the most difficult plank.  What I could not get my head around was the prototype build had this plank neither on or below the one above.   If you look closely it actually straddles the corner of the counter - I was convinced that I had put the bulwarks on too high.

Same experience here, that particular plank was the hardest. As and Andy and Craig mention the planks above and below are approx. 90 degrees different in section. Don’t be tempted to try and twist it, as the guys have said sand it to shape and if you are painting filler is your friend!

Thanks, Glomar, for posing the original question!

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

Glomar,

I see you got that tricky plank on pretty well.  Yours looks more like the manual than mine. 

At the bow you might get away with shaping the offending third plank which seems to overlap the bow on its bottom corner. Perhaps with a knife rather than sanding.  It is also worth sanding the rear of the plank where it meets the bow rabbet to make sure it sits in.

It looks as if your sanding has nicked the bow.  Can I suggest you protect the stem with some masking tape?  

As Andrew J pointed out you could do an all over paint job as he did on his excellent build.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Sound advice from Craig, some masking tape to protect the Bow/stem and keel whilst fitting/shaping/sanding the second planking would help.  (I damaged the very tip of the stem on my build - don't worry we all do it! 😏)

Once I had worked out how much to taper the planks I worked from the bow back, getting the front to sit in as neat as possible, as Craig said, some of the inside edges of the planks at the bow might need shaving thinner so they sit snug into the Bow Rabbet.

You might want to start tapering the planks at the Bow, I tapered each plank to half their width all the way down the Bow. If you measure the gaps left at various parts of the Hull after you've fitted a couple of planks you can keep better control of the widths of each plank. You'll probably need to fit a couple of Stealers at the Stern. It can be a challenge but you're doing a great job.