Cutty Sark by bcochran - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC

12 hours ago, bcochran said:

On July 20 I had major spinal surgery.  I am ready to do physical therapy. I am almost able to walk without pain.

Here's hoping that your PT handlers go gentle with you!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

11 hours ago, shipman said:

Good to see you 'back'.

Steady as you go.

Did you like the Queen?  I really liked her and will miss her.  Her passing makes me sad.

My ancestors came from west of Paisley in Scotland.

Edited by bcochran

Good to see you are back. Take it easy, although I know it is not easy on a model like Cutty Sark 😉

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat

To be honest, I'm pretty much ambivalent about the monarchy as an institution.

As when there was all the ooh-ha to do with the Diana cult, today's outpouring of grief leaves me more than a little bewildered, though I do sympathize with the individual family members loss.

Fortunately they have no worries meeting what must be a colossal funeral bill; we have that covered!

The Queen got the big chair a couple of years before before I was born, so her presence has been a constant.

Her passing is another feature of life which emphasises the fleeting nature of mortality.

Charlie has lived a long life being ridiculed for his own beliefs, many of which have now been accepted as having merit.

When I was at school, tv's were hired so we all could witness his investiture as Prince of Wales.

Generally the public had the opinion he was a suitable honorary member of another British institution...the Goons.

Fortunately as he's matured and I find myself having genuine respect for how he's turned out.

So if we have to have a new monarch, remarkably, it turns out he's the best of the bunch.

It feels bizzare to admit; I can relate to him. He has my best wishes.

Years ago I attended the Windsor Horse Trials (a big garden party with the Queen and Prince Phillip presiding).

HM was a bit distant from us the great unwashed, remaining among the great and the good.

However, I found myself stood next to Philip for about half an hour, earwigging his every word.

Couldn't believe I wasn't lifted by the scruff of my neck and dragged away. Just shows how decent us Brits can be when left to our own devises.

My own paternal ancestry can be traced to Tipperary, then rapid social decline via Glasgow to the coal fields of South Yorkshire.

5 hours ago, shipman said:

To be honest, I'm pretty much ambivalent about the monarchy as an institution.

As when there was all the ooh-ha to do with the Diana cult, today's outpouring of grief leaves me more than a little bewildered, though I do sympathize with the individual family members loss.

Fortunately they have no worries meeting what must be a colossal funeral bill; we have that covered!

The Queen got the big chair a couple of years before before I was born, so her presence has been a constant.

Her passing is another feature of life which emphasises the fleeting nature of mortality.

Charlie has lived a long life being ridiculed for his own beliefs, many of which have now been accepted as having merit.

When I was at school, tv's were hired so we all could witness his investiture as Prince of Wales.

Generally the public had the opinion he was a suitable honorary member of another British institution...the Goons.

Fortunately as he's matured and I find myself having genuine respect for how he's turned out.

So if we have to have a new monarch, remarkably, it turns out he's the best of the bunch.

It feels bizzare to admit; I can relate to him. He has my best wishes.

Years ago I attended the Windsor Horse Trials (a big garden party with the Queen and Prince Phillip presiding).

HM was a bit distant from us the great unwashed, remaining among the great and the good.

However, I found myself stood next to Philip for about half an hour, earwigging his every word.

Couldn't believe I wasn't lifted by the scruff of my neck and dragged away. Just shows how decent us Brits can be when left to our own devises.

My own paternal ancestry can be traced to Tipperary, then rapid social decline via Glasgow to the coal fields of South Yorkshire.

We were on vacation with my wife's family when Diana died.  It put a dark cloud over us all for a couple of days.  I liked Queen Elizabeth as a person, not because she was Queen. I especially like the talk she gave during the war to the British kids living in Canada. I think she was 14 at the time. Then she joined the army as a driver, but she could have been in the fighting at times.

The royal family stayed in country rather than to go to Canada or something.  I was in the army in the Vietnam war.  Even though I was a radar repairman, I had times when I was just an infantryman

. doing the fighting.

Edited by bcochran

I am working on understanding the rigging I must do.  Since I know very little bout it, I will have to study my references.

I will be making a spreadsheet listing all the lines needed to give myself a visual of the scope of the job.

I haven’t yet made any more progress since I left off, but doing the spreadsheet is progress in a way, but there is nothing here to show for it. 

21 hours ago, bcochran said:

I am working on understanding the rigging I must do.  Since I know very little bout it, I will have to study my references.

I will be making a spreadsheet listing all the lines needed to give myself a visual of the scope of the job.

I haven’t yet made any more progress since I left off, but doing the spreadsheet is progress in a way, but there is nothing here to show for it. 

Doing your proper research is important if not more so, if you want an accurate model. I have 12 years of personal research coupled with that of my cohorts and a lifetime dedicated by my friend Michael Mjelde....before I tackled fully scratch building my Glory of the Seas.  I have been building clippers for over 50 years and the Revell CS 4 times.......and I had to begin at a steep curve, such as yourself.  Study pays off and it will for you.  Understanding the function of each line, brings greater accuracy to your build and greater confidence in your own skill, not to mention how a sailing ship as complex as a clipper functioned.

Good luck. And enjoy and apply what you learn.

Rb 

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I am studying the standing rigging.  I pretty much understand it.

I have three references:

Campbell, Underhill, Hackney, Longridge and Revell

Underhill and Revell are similar.  Campbell is different from those two.  Hackney jumps all over the place rather than staying at one part of the ship. He is too difficult to follow. Campbell would be more difficult to add back stays, since his plan seems very confusing and hard to see. Longridge's rigging plan from his book is also hard to follow, and I have the larger foldout plans from the pocket in the back of the book.

I think I will stay with Undehill and Revell for the standing rigging, at least I can get that done.

So my plan is to work on the masts off the ship, add eyelets to the masts where they go. Make any detail changes.  Add the shrouds.

That is what I will be doing this week and maybe some weeks after.  I will post a picture if the foremast when it is done.

I am feeling squeamish about adding lanyards to the deadeyes and adding foot ropes to the shrouds.  I have never done either one.

Edited by bcochran

Here is a view of my modified fore mast cross trees.  I removed the cheeks that Revell erroneously added.  I added eyelets and made provisions for the upper shrouds to be added soon. I added cleats to the spreaders for the back stays. I painted the doubling per Longridge, but not the masts themselves.  I read that during the wool days, the masts were painted black.

IMG_3168.jpg

Edited by bcochran

Once you get started oh the rigging you'll plug into all that experience you obviously have and breeze along.

It will no doubt become a frustrating business with the inevitable errors to overcome, but when it clicks I'm sure the rewards will be worth it.

Would love to see pictures of your cars and trains sometime.

38 minutes ago, shipman said:

Once you get started oh the rigging you'll plug into all that experience you obviously have and breeze along.

It will no doubt become a frustrating business with the inevitable errors to overcome, but when it clicks I'm sure the rewards will be worth it.

Would love to see pictures of your cars and trains sometime.

For Shipman,

Anyone not iterested please excuse me.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

15 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Love the locomotives. Are they the metal kits from from Occre?  I was looking at some of them last time in the hobby shop and thinking they looked awesome, but they don't come cheap......

They are not kits.  They are G scale garden railroad locomotives that are complete, ready to run when you buy them.  I add details to make them more realistic.  They are models of actual 3 foot narrow gauge engines that operated in the late 1800s, three from Colorado and one from California. I also add sound and radio control and battery power.

When the great clipper ships unloaded, it was these type locomotives that distributed the goods inland. Also, the clippers that rounded the horn brought the materials to build the railroads in the west.  The locomotives were built at the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philidelphia. 

The autos and planes were from kits. The Santa Fe passenger train is on a HO gauge layout I am building in my garage.  I have a lot going and at times it is hard to choose which I want to work on.  Building the Cutty Sark is long and involved and takes me away from my other hobbies.

Edited by bcochran

4 hours ago, bcochran said:

I have a lot going and at times it is hard to choose which I want to work on.  Building the Cutty Sark is long and involved and takes me away from my other hobbies.

It appears many of us on these pages juggle many hobbies.  I too work on my HO power and rolling stock....along with machining and building telescopes...and of course in the shipyard working on my clippers.  Gardening and building miniature lighthouse dioramas rounds out the major hobby list.

I need more hours in the day.....how to do that without giving up my 8 hours of sleepful bliss.....?

More power to ya.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

That’s a good solid way….but if the eye bolt was horizontal, you could easily fit another next to it.  With the eyebolt vertical the futtock shrouds will have to lay upon one another, creating a tight situation.   

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

This build log will inspire me to bring my USS Constitution(s) out of storage soon. I really have to get back to that. I checked but I don't see a build log for any Constitution on the forum unless I'm missing it somehow. If anyone knows of one, please point me to it.

I very much liked the pictures of the cars you built. My brother gave me the Revell 1:16 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II as a kid. I just loved those swooping fenders and that long hood. Sure wish they still made them like that. Look better than anything on the road today. I may have to find another kit and try again.

I was filling up at my local gas station the other da when a nicely restored Model A putted up the road and into the strip mall across the street. The sound of that engine is so distinctive. The owner of the company I work for just sold his. 

20 minutes ago, TAGood827 said:

I checked but I don't see a build log for any Constitution on the forum unless I'm missing it somehow. If anyone knows of one, please point me to it.

@TAGood827 Assuming you mean the Revell Constitution there are 7 build logs that are tagged as 'Finished' and many others at different stages. You can find them in the indices for kit logs from 1750-1800 available here: https://modelshipworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=840412&key=a9d02329559034405c24d1cc0f3af501

And if you start a log, a lot of us have built this over the years and can provide answers to questions. One of the nicest things about being on this site.

George K

Edited by gak1965

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

On 9/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, rwiederrich said:

That’s a good solid way….but if the eye bolt was horizontal, you could easily fit another next to it.  With the eyebolt vertical the futtock shrouds will have to lay upon one another, creating a tight situation.   

Rob

I gave up on that idea. I can't get the wire I am using to look right. Do people use rigging line for these deadeyes?

Why not simply cut the wire so it simply terminates at the futtock band and just glue it there?  When you glue the wire in the hole of the cross tree, you will have  snug secure deadeye to lanyard up to the upper shroud.  

Then simply paint over the glue joint.  In this scale you can get away with that.  

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

• 3 weeks later...

I feel I need to post this.  I don't know when or if ever I will return to the rigging of my Cutty Sark.  To be honest I am intimidated by the idea.  Secondly, this plastic model seems too fragile for my abilities.  I've had so many accidents with this model that I am tired of it happening and having to recover.  I've had extra parts but I am running out of my supply.

I am wanting to move onto other things and it seems like rigging is putting salt on my tail.

So thank all of you all for your interest in my build.  I am going to leave it here.

You've achieved so much and I've enjoyed the ride.

Your hull is so well done, it would be a desperate shame to place it on your shelf of doom.

Have you considered displaying your model without masts and rigging?

Common practice with 18th century vessels. The quality of your build would easily justify that.

And one day, who knows, the option of resuming the rest of the build will always be there.

Gonna miss you mate.

22 hours ago, bcochran said:

I feel I need to post this.  I don't know when or if ever I will return to the rigging of my Cutty Sark.  To be honest I am intimidated by the idea.  Secondly, this plastic model seems too fragile for my abilities.  I've had so many accidents with this model that I am tired of it happening and having to recover.  I've had extra parts but I am running out of my supply.

I am wanting to move onto other things and it seems like rigging is putting salt on my tail.

So thank all of you all for your interest in my build.  I am going to leave it here.

There is no shame in recognizing the aspect of a daunting rigging project is more then you can successfully accomplish.  You've built enough types of models to know where you find your greatest comfort and aptitude.  Building a ship kit is not that unlike many other kinds of models (you've proven that)...the big shift comes with the rigging and all that it entails.  It surely can be intimidating and then couple that with unsporting and weak structures(thin, brittle masts/yards)...you have a real challenge on your hands. Lastly....the learning curve to understand each parts function...so you can rig successfully and accurately. is a very steep one......sometimes so much so it is the nails in the coffin.

I for one will miss your updates and contribution to these pages.  I hope you don't give up entirely on ship building.....possibly a different model (Kind) of ship might suite you better?  

Good luck.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Bob, I know exactly where you're coming from. I stopped enjoying my work on the Victory last year and parked it. I still haven't regained the motivation so it can stay parked until I do, or possibly forever. Good luck with what you do next, post a link, I'm sure I'm not alone in sometimes thinking it's be nice to build a car, a train or (in my case) a bike. Heck, it'd be nice just to not be fighting the thing most days!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your replies.  I was afraid to come back here to see what anyone wrote.  Some day in the future I may take up the rigging again.  I keep the hull in a safe place on a shelf next to where I work on models.

I have a new boat project that I am considering making into a build log.

I have a Lindberg 1/20 Chris Craft Constellation.  I am going to add R/C to it.

9 hours ago, bcochran said:

Some day in the future I may take up the rigging again.

It's my firm conviction that one should never feel obligated to finish a model for which one has lost the necessary enthusiasm. The proof of my conviction lies in the smattering of unfinished projects on my shelves.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, shipman said:

With my best wishes in your endeavours with your model, POPSHIP, why are you stealing 'bochran's' build log instead of establishing one of your own?

HaHa!  I didn't notice it was another member posting....I did wonder why 'bcochran' had decided to start yet another CS instead of continuing........