Looking for advice - What to do/avoid to produce models not toy ships

When I first started wooden ship models, my father-in-law got excited to show me his collection. They were a variety of ships purchased on vacations and travels from various gift shops. Most probably were had for about $20 and despite the brass name plate affixed to the bases, they all seemed to be basically the same thing.  Below are a few links to similar models but I don't have the photo rights so I am hesitant to post photos:

Pirate Ship

Confection

Discovery

Bounty

Now, I am pondering, how can I create a model that is most representative of my talents and closer to the generally high quality seen here rather than the those found at the corner drug store. In studying the models from my FIL and the photos linked above, I have identified a few core themes. But PLEASE add on from your experience. Also, correct me if I am misstating something here. 

Fit and Finish - ensuring that all joints are touching, angles correct, lines straight etc, all edges sanded smooth etc. 

Scale wood - use the correct (or as close as possible) thickness and width of planking for decking, deck houses, hatches etc. 

Scale rigging - especially blocks and a variety of diameters for running and standing rigging even if precise scale can't be achieved, using more than just the same black thread for all. 

Scale and tapering masts and spars rather than all just the same diameter dowel

Paint - clean edges, thin coats, matte finish rather than high gloss

Metal work - don't leave fittings and metal in the kit finish (unless accurate). Most need to be blackened, especially brass pieces which are not representing brass in the actual world

What did I miss? What do you pay attention to that helps ensure a good outcome rather than something that looks like a toy or a child's craft project. 

Nate

A super warm welcome to MSW Nate.  Maybe also post a little intro on the new member forum here at MSW.

Are you saying you want to build a model similar to one of those in the photos or of a higher quality?  The ones in the photos look to be mass produced very low quality decorator models out of China. 

It sounds like this is a new endeavor for you.  If it is, go slow and easy.  You have 42,000 helpers here at MSW! 

Fortunately there are a  couple high quality kits makers to choose from.   IF you are indeed a beginner, look at the David Antscherl series at Model Shipways as they will take you from beginner to experienced in a reasonable amount of time.   There are also excellent kits from two other kit makers,  Syren and Vanguard,  that will suit your needs as you progress and gain experience.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

One way to start is to buy a kit from a reputable manufacturer who bases their models on actual research, like BlueJacket, Vanguard, Syren, Model Shipways, etc. Although not perfect, their standards are high enough to instantly set you on a higher path. And you can always make additional changes/upgrades to the kit (like better rope and fittings).

Being a beginner myself, the only piece of advice I can offer is to take your time and enjoy the voyage to the best of your tolerance.  Not everything is going to be as easy as it might appear nor work out exactly as one has planned.  This is a hobby you really can just walk away from (that is after you've capped the glue) for a bit and regroup your thoughts and adjust your attitude as needed,

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Welcome aboard. There is a lot of information available here. If you have a question on how something is done or why just ask and I'm sure someone will be glad to answer. The more you do, the more you learn, the more detailed your work will become. 

Richard

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Welcome to MSW, Nate.  You've received some great advice already but I'll add, when you've decided, start a build log.  You'll get help and meet other builders.   And yes, an intro in the New Member area is a good idea also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard Nate. You have a good list of things to do. There are some great kits available to get you started, and I recommend you start with something simple. Maybe a single mast boat in a large scale to get you started Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat is a good example and relatively inexpensive, add to that their replacement parts guarantee and you are sitting pretty. Model Shipways is part of Model Expo. 

Take your time, this isn't a race. Read and reread the plans until you have a firm understanding of what is to be done. Read the build logs of others who have constructed orc are constructing your kit. If you are still stuck or don't understand after that, ask questions here. Best of luck, hope to be reading a build log by you soon.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

When picking a kit, one can see if there are builds of that kit already on site.  I have an interest in the Oseberg Viking ship, and read two or three builds on the recent Billings kit.  I could see every step they builders took, and noted their comments on what they liked or didn't like ... and the solutions they used in each situation.  Selected pictures were screen-captured and printed for reference.  That gave me a good feel for how I could go about it as a future project - so I ordered the kit to be sure I'll have it when the time comes.  And then I'll revisit those builds again, since I'm in the middle of a build myself.

I've learned a LOT from other builds (not all complete, but many are far along the way) on my present build, and have made alterations based on the gain of knowledge.  Let me tell you, doing something for yourself is a great teacher - and many things can be corrected or otherwise 'done over' as you go.  Ultimately, a builder does a project for self-satisfaction regardless of skill level or detail level in the work.  It will definitely be a LOT better than any "20 dollar toy" you can find.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65