HMS Beagle by Clementine - OcCre - 1:60 Scale

I would also recommend varnishing the hull now. Until it is varnished it is more susceptible to getting ingrained dirt.  This is about the stage I did it on my Beagle.

Complete:

OcCre HMS Beagle 1:60

Amati Victory Models HMS Pegasus 1:64

In Progress:

Amati Victory Models HMS Vanguard 1:72

Clementine, that is a great build you have going on. I will follow along to see your progress and pick up any tips I can. Sanding the wood strips before attaching is a good idea. I usually get carried away by my enthusiasm and forget. I think your planking turned out well albeit, apparently, not to spec. At the end of the day, you will have a lovely ship and whether the planking is historically accurate or not will matter only to the rivet-counters. Cheers,

Dave

LCdr Dave

Current Build: Mayflower - Billing Boats

Hi Clementine,

I agree, now would be a good time to varnish the hull.  I used a Vallejo matt varnish on mine which didn't change the appearance.  So much so that I did one side and let it dry.  By the time I came back to do the other side I had forgotten which side I had already done.  I now have to do both sides again to make sure I do it all.

This is what I used on mine:

image.png.213888764329a5a842246a71a2a7e857.png

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

If anyone wanted to see, this is what my varnished hull looks like currently. working on the rudder, and currently wondering how im going to make a 5mm hole for the top of it to slide into, so if anyone has tips on that it would be appreciated, the largest hand drill bit i have is only 2 mm so a bit stuck 

IMG_0762.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

13 hours ago, The Gimps Chimp said:

When I did mine I started with a small hole and enlarged it with a rat tail file until it was the correct size.

Chimp

I did the same. Always a strange feeling to drill in such a nice hull...

Current build: HMS Sphinx 1:64 (Vanguard Models)

Finished: HMS Beagle 1:60 (Occre)

Hi Clementine

I am guessing it is a kit instruction but never the less, why would there be two bolts for each of the small hinge plates for the gun port lids, but only one on each of the pintles on the rudder?    I would think there would be a minimum of three on each of the pintles but could very well be wrong.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

34 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Hi Clementine

I am guessing it is a kit instruction but never the less, why would there be two bolts for each small hinge plates for the gun port lids, but only one on each of the pintles on the rudder?    I would think there would be a minimum of three on each of the pintles but could very well be wrong.  

Allan

Hi Allan,

you would be correct in saying it is a kit instruction. not really sure of why its built the way it is but i assume with it being a "beginner" kit its just designed to be as easy as possible while keeping up the looks. after this model i plan to work on my corel or sergal models i recently bought so hopefully the quality will improve.

6 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Clementine

I am guessing it is a kit instruction but never the less, why would there be two bolts for each small hinge plates for the gun port lids, but only one on each of the pintles on the rudder?    I would think there would be a minimum of three on each of the pintles but could very well be wrong.  

Allan

Looking at the AotS for the Beagle, it shows three bolts for each pintle on the rudder, spot on Allan :)   During my build of this kit I've found so many areas where there has been a deviation from 'reality'.  Like Clementine, I view the building of my kit as a learning experience, hopefully with better things to come.

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

12 hours ago, The Gimps Chimp said:

Like Clementine, I view the building of my kit as a learning experience, hopefully with better things to come.

For beginners, the three boat series by Antscherl cannot be beat, it teaches a LOT.  For your next projects, offerings from Syren and Vanguard seem to be the best way to go based on reviews and build logs here at MSW.  There are surely others that are OK.  Study up on all the comments you can find at MSW and look at the build logs to see which brands are high quality and which are not.   There is always going over to the dark side and scratch building😀

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU