HMS Beagle by Clementine - OcCre - 1:60 Scale

Rubbing strakes and dead eyes, thought i should make an update on these as the instructions are not very clear. the tutorial on youtube says to cut about 4cm but after a while i figured out a more efficient way. i cut slightly above 3cm and under 3.5cm, this way i could get 3 deadeyes done from 1 piece of copper wire.

IMG_0889.jpeg

Nice progress! An easy way to ensure some extra accuracy would be to rotate all the deadeyes so the triangle of holes faces down; the single hole should be at the bottom with the two holes lined up evenly at the top. This should be mirrored when you add the upper set; two holes facing down and the single hole facing up.

Hi Clementine

What are the white cylinders in the pic below?  I thought maybe hammocks but there are about 100 of them on each side and the crew was only 65  plus they are about the same size of the belaying pins.   

There is something similar in the drawing from Darwin's Journal (1890 edition), but there are only about 25 on each side, so maybe hammocks in the drawing? 

Just curious to see what these represent.

Thank you.

Allan

660018125_BeagleHammocks.JPG.630a3d2b680ea2715c2ce7cafaaef39f.JPG 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Clementine

What are the white cylinders in the pic below?  I thought maybe hammocks but there are about 100 of them on each side and the crew was only 65  plus they are about the same size of the belaying pins.   

There is something similar in the drawing from Darwin's Journal (1890 edition), but there are only about 25 on each side, so maybe hammocks in the drawing? 

Just curious to see what these represent.

Thank you.

Allan

660018125_BeagleHammocks.JPG.630a3d2b680ea2715c2ce7cafaaef39f.JPG 

Hi allan,

in all honesty i have no idea what they are for or if they were even on the original ship. i also cant find anything visible on her sister ship HMS Kangaroo, but that might be because of the angle and age.

i just thought they were purely cosmetic or made it easier to stand on in rough seas, seen as the ship was going around cape horn.

who knows might be info lost to time.

Clem

hms-kangeroo.png

Thanks Clementine.  Are these supplied with the kit?  If so, does the kit give these items a name?  

Hal, you bring up a good point on the number of hammocks as two hammocks were issued to the crew members starting in 1804.   Consideration should also be taken regarding which watch system was used as the three watch became the fashion in the 19th century.  If 1/3 of the crew was sleeping at a given time there would be about 100 hammocks not in use, but the model shows 200.   If you compare contemporary drawings and paintings, including the one above and the one at https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-113120 at RMG, there is a vast difference with those from the kit.  I go with the contemporary information based on the fact that the belaying pins in the kit are triple or quadruple the diameter they should be and the hammocks (if that is what they are supposed to be) much too small.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allan,

There is nothing in the kit which identifies these items as hammocks.  However, in the AotS for the Beagle the space which these items sit is marked as the 'Hammock rail'.  Regarding relative size of components I think you are spot on.  Again, looking at the AotS for the Beagle we have the following:

image.png.e16639e8b86251c3cc8128625af66ec4.png

Regarding the number of hammocks detailed in the kit, in relation to the size of the crew, I wouldn't want to comment.  I think there's a lot of 'artistic licence' applied in the design of these kits.

Regards

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

Chimp,  I agree that "artistic license" is a good term, albeit much too kind in some cases.  Thanks for posting the drawing.  Like you I would trust the research done by Marquardt in the AOTS book before the kit.    

Allan

2 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

I’m about to start my Beagle and just read through your thread from start to finish, picking up lots of very useful information. Thanks for that!

Your build looks lovely. You’re setting the bar very high here. If I get close to your standard I’ll be very pleased. 

Hi E Z Breeze,

Will you be starting a build log?  I've found it useful getting feedback about my build from more experienced builders, and it's useful for others who are starting their builds - as it sounds you have found.  I would recommend starting one.

Don't worry about putting your work 'out there' for others to see.  We're a friendly bunch and we all started somewhere :).  It's a great learning experience.

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

EZ,  I hope Clementine, who has done an admirable job on his build,  would agree that you should not be afraid to research each part before you put it in place.  Some kit makers do not appear to spend much time on research before putting out a kit, or, if they do, they ignore it, but fortunately many of their mistakes can be fixed as you move along on the build. 

Allan

Edited by allanyed

4 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

I’m about to start my Beagle and just read through your thread from start to finish, picking up lots of very useful information. Thanks for that!

Your build looks lovely. You’re setting the bar very high here. If I get close to your standard I’ll be very pleased. 

Hi E Z Breeze,

i wish you the best of luck on your build, im sure you will be 100% satisfied with this model, sure is a beauty in real life! ill be looking at your build log when you post it so if you need any advice specific to this kit just drop a post on there and i will be more than happy to help. your previous model looks fantastic so im sure you wont have a problem with this one.

and i agree with allan, research is 100% key on these historical kits, occre does get a lot wrong when it comes to accuracy and not many of them are super minor issues, but its still a great kit none the less.

cant wait to see your build log!

Clementine

Edited by Clementine

4 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

It's astonishing, isn't it? I used to get annoyed when kits came with flaws, and to be honest I still do at times when I'm feeling grouchy. However, I guess I'll forgive the manufacturers  given that they are in business primarily to make money rather than to foster historical studies and the great thing is that their lapses give us so much scope to make our own changes, based on our own research which ends up fostering historical studies anyway

You are absolutely correct EZ, but unfortunately, many kit builders are not very experienced thus a little naïve as would be expected, so they do not know that many kits are loaded with mistakes.  For some, the research is as much fun and definitely as satisfying when there is the VOILA moment that you find a mistake and know you can fix it!   There are a couple kit makers that do a much more credible job of it and they too are in business to make a profit, so it can be done.  All anyone has to do is look how many kits are in the various build logs and which manufacturers continue to gain more customers and which are not thanks to the former having high quality products. 

Allan