HMS Beagle by Clementine - OcCre - 1:60 Scale

This is a build log for my 2nd model ship (my first being the Occre Golden Hind which i finished recently) and i hope to finish it in succession similar to my first.

I have had a LOT of fun with this hobby and am hoping to keep it up, hope you all enjoy this build log as much as i will enjoy the build.

side notes, i am keeping it as faithful to the instructions as i possibly can, maybe making a few minor changes to the model because i didnt like how Occre did it but feel free to leave suggestions or criticisms as much as you like because they are all welcome. 

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

as expected from occre the wood quality is great and the instructions are incredibly simple and easy to follow. only ran into an issue with one of the frames which had a knot and was weaker than the others but not weak enough to scrap and replace. 

everything fits together nicely and i am enjoying putting it together.

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

Looking good!  For future builds, keep in mind that all of the decks have round up, they do not lay flat.  It may be the photos but the decks look to be flat.  Check out the build log of the  Endeavour by KJackson.  modelshipworld.com/topic/31858-hm-bark-endeavour-by-kjackson-occre-154/#comment-902995 where this has been discussed in detail in the last day or so.   It appears there are at least a couple kits that forgot to take into account round up/camber which would be found on virtually all ships.

Your first layer of hull planking looks to be going well.   Will you be tapering the strakes and spiling or hot edge bending?  If you have not already studied them, there are excellent tutorials here at MSW teaching proper planking techniques.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

4 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Looking good!  For future builds, keep in mind that all of the decks have round up, they do not lay flat.  It may be the photos but the decks look to be flat.  Check out the build log of the  Endeavour by KJackson.  modelshipworld.com/topic/31858-hm-bark-endeavour-by-kjackson-occre-154/#comment-902995 where this has been discussed in detail in the last day or so.   It appears there are at least a couple kits that forgot to take into account round up/camber which would be found on virtually all ships.

Your first layer of hull planking looks to be going well.   Will you be tapering the strakes and spiling or hot edge bending?  If you have not already studied them, there are excellent tutorials here at MSW teaching proper planking techniques.

Allan

Hi allan, thank you for the tip ill be sure to take it into account on my next model. does seem to be an issue with occre kits in general but im sure its an easy fix and do you know of any good tutorial links on the site? im interested in different planking techniques as i dont really go into planking with a plan lol

The tutorial for spiling by David Antscherl is in the Articles data base under framing and planking as is the lining off article by Chuck Passaro.  https://thenrg.org/resource/articles   Note that in the first picture in Chuck's article he is very clear to avoid this unrealistic planking style.   All the strakes need to end at the rabbet unless there is one or perhaps two drop strakes.  If your model is double planked you have the first layer as a great learning practice before going to the second layer.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

5 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

This is the model that I have decided to build as my second ship. I'll follow your work with interest.

You are doing your first planking in a style unfamiliar to me, something I may well follow because my method is causing me a few anxious moments on my first build!

Those Occre planks look quite thick, can you tell me the dimensions please?

Thank you!

and funny enough this model kit is also my second ship!

this planking style is usually just a mix of the Occre plans and whatever comes to mind for me, the occre plans can only get you so far but i think the way i do it is sufficient for a nice rounded surface.

and the lumber is 3mm x 5mm x 60cm but some of the planks can be a bit wider/ slimmer than most which kind of sucks but i usually just skip out on using those planks and use them for fillers 

2 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

Yes I saw that. It encouraged me to go for this one despite some slight worries that it's a big step up from a herring drifter!

It's nice that they give you plans at all.

3mm thick seems enormous to me but you have plenty of material for sanding so I guess there are advantages.

yeah they may seem pretty thick but i find they are best for this size of model, and as you said, plenty of material for sanding so you can make it the shape you want

5 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

Your gluing looks very tidy. I struggle to keep it all as clean as yours. I wonder, are you using CA?

Edit: My kit having arrived, I see that no glue is used at this stage. Now I understand!

ive actually been using wood glue with a mix of using ca glue at parts i cant hold down with nails or gravity. then i clean it up with cotton buds or paper towels.

i cant wait to see your progress on the ship! its interesting to see the different ways people make these.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Clementine,

Your build is looking good. I also found your method of doing the first planking to be rather interesting. It seems like you got a nice result though and that's all that matters. Fast progress too! It took me about a year to do two planking layers on my own build...

Wishing you continued success with your model,

starlight

2 hours ago, starlight said:

Hello Clementine,

Your build is looking good. I also found your method of doing the first planking to be rather interesting. It seems like you got a nice result though and that's all that matters. Fast progress too! It took me about a year to do two planking layers on my own build...

Wishing you continued success with your model,

starlight

Thank you for the nice comment! i appreciate all the support you guys are giving me its giving me so much motivation!

Hi Clementine,

Your model is progressing nicely.  The second planking is very thin and will follow every contour of the first layer.  It may be worth using a little more filler to get that really smooth finish.

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft