HMS Victory by JEFFRAV - Heller - 1/100 - PLASTIC

Hi I joined this forum a few months ago and after reading other ship builds I decided to do one myself. This is my first time doing this and would like any help from other members will be appreciated. I've already stated and I know it is going to take along time.

Hi Jeff, here are various photos of the jigs I knocked up when assembling the cannons about 10 years ago (is it really that long!). These were made with styrene, there's nothing very clever or technical, I just cut and filed to size to hold everything in place. There were two or three lessons learned that I'll mention;

1: after a while, you'll almost inevitably get styrene glue on the jig and it'll get spoiled(-ish)/soft(-ish), so it might be worth making 2 or 3 of each. Or use something other than styrene. Or be better at applying glue than I was 10 years ago 😊

2: I mistakenly thought the carriages would have an inwards camber bottom to top: keep an eye on that, they don't.

3: the quality of moulding is superb; the cannon halves aligned true every time, as did the carriage parts.

I hope this gives you the general idea. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'm looking forward to seeing your build develop, the Victory is such an interesting kit to spectate on, and everyone has their own take and way of doing it. 

DSC_0058.jpg.09e53c9db4c9af97b2591d1c39686532.jpgDSC_0057.jpg.b18cf8490dff8c40b0631ca3ac143963.jpgDSC_0056.jpg.f0d2c043e0f87c9d6cf3a03f2247dbbf.jpgDSC_0055.jpg.9c033ff2d282fb94a745753a36037d4c.jpgDSC_0054.jpg.1619e7230b455f60d36dc563b00046b9.jpgDSC_0052.jpg.c2c33281e851ea2a237ae122a944a0b0.jpgDSC_0003.jpg.d839c47369ca877a2365e4cf413866fa.jpgDSC_0002.jpg.2238efb47480a56b5ef45780027e964c.jpg2097127605_cannonjig3.jpg.9149bf37dd78cc11d82031366c9bee9f.jpg608365710_cannonjig2.jpg.909c95f475c3770830630b0f2ef16288.jpg1507292853_cannonjig1.jpg.c088d3d2d65cab5f3d364158e8c855d6.jpgDSC_0059.jpg.c018c451cbe45bdf298feedbeded2ae0.jpg

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

Thank you Kevin now I have an idea of what too make. I have plenty of Evergreen I guess I just have to get the right measurements will play around with it. I started a build log and tried posting some pictures but they are coming up rotated. 

I think you need to orientate them correctly before posting. I always edit mine in MS Picture Manager (other packages are available etc.... but I find this one easiest); first I crop them, then I compress for the web to 'for documents'. You can also resize here, just double-click while editing.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

• 3 months later...

Got lower deck glued in but in my haste and not following detail I forgot to glue the main mast step in so I had to cut deck open glue in and fix with milliput sand and paint again.Know one will see it. I guess I have to pay more attention to detail.

20220706_133602.jpg

20220706_133617.jpg

20220714_141341.jpg

Edited by JEFFRAV

Jeff, looking good so far!  I'm always pleased to see another Heller Victory being built, it is a very special kit despite its shortcomings in rigging instructions. There are several Victory logs on MSW, the most recent by BILL97. You would be well advised to read through his log as you progress; there are many faults with the Heller instructions especially pertaining to rigging and some things you need to add to, for example, the quarterdeck in order to be able to rig properly in later stages. But rather than detail all these for you here, the information is all in Bill's log.

I have a few general recommendations, in the meantime.

1) Forget Heller's deadeyes, they are impossible to rig without a groove around their periphery. Buy some after-market wood deadeyes.

2) For rigging, a copy of "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" by C. Longridge is indispensable. It contains detailed info for each rigging line including rope and block sizes and has many many helpful diagrams.

3) Brass etch parts are available for this kit. I highly recommend the chains and stanchions. Heller has no representation for the chins beyond loops of thread and their stanchions have no eyes so are difficult to rig.

Looking forward to reading about your progress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Back in the fall before i went into the hospital i was building a log cabin in West Virginia i was at a yard sale and i seen a box that said HMS Victory. Took a look and to my surprise it was a complete model. The older lady said it was her husbands that had passed away. She wanted 25 dollars for it. I told her that is worth more than that i ended giving her 50 dollars. What a deal all parts seem to be there except for the sails which i am going to make my own. Now i have spare parts which i needed as some of the parts were broken from sitting in my Mothers attic since around 1981.

20230218_143116.jpg

Getting ready to order a bunch of blocks and deadeyes for this build. Can someone tell me what size wooden deadeyes i will need for the shrouds i will need for Daniels etched parts plate 3. Getting ready to rig the tackle on the guns on the upper gun deck. I am getting 2.5 mm single sheath and 3 mm double sheath wooden blocks which i will sand down to 2 mm as i can't find 2 mm blocks right now is that right. Also i will be making my own eyebolts what gauge wire wold you recommend and diameter of the eye so it up to scale.

Good morning Jeff. I found your build and will enjoy watching it go together. As Ian said, always enjoy following a Victory build. There is so much available here on MSW from other builders to help you.  I teased with Ian that I was going to put his name on my Victory name plate as a co-builder! 😊. You should definitely take advantage of it. Again let me recommend Longridge’s book.

Jeff the smaller deadeyes are either a 3.5mm or 4mm. I don’t remember. I have a supply of both. My Victory is in a display case and it would be difficult to get to the deadeyes to get an exact measurement. I think more likely 3.5mm. 
Check your email when you get a chance. I attempted to email you a fantastic spreadsheet Ian made up that lists all the thread sizes you will use for each line by name and block sizes as well. Hope you can open the link. 

Bill thank you for sending me the spreadsheet. Ordered 5 and 3.5 mm deadeyes from Amazon today will be delivered in a few days. Not at the shipyard this weekend visiting my niece and nephew at University of Maryland then going to Northwestern- Maryland basketball game tomorrow will hit the build hard this week.