Greetings from US - Colorado

Hello.

I live in Denver and I'm happy to meet everyone! 

I hope to meet many people and I'm hopeful for mentors as I'm learning many new skills.

I really like J Class Yachts and the Bluenose Schooner. 

I just received Midwest Products' The Sakonnet Daysailer kit. But I took advantage of Model Expo's moving sale and purchased the Shipwright Series. So, I may start with the Lowell Grand Banks Dory first or at the same times as the Sakonnet Daysailer. I'm setting up a workspace, albeit a small area I'll figure out how to organize for the builds. Also, considering and shopping for new tools. I can be a bit slow in selecting things. 

Edited by bubblezephyr

Just now, bubblezephyr said:

Also, considering and shopping for new tools. I can be a bit slow in selecting things. 

The wise path is to buy a tool when you know that you will need it.  That is not advice I have ever been able to follow myself.  It does not apply if having tools 'just in case' is one of your compulsions.  It does give you an extensive knowledge base of tools that are useless. 

One tip, basic tools are much less likely to be a part of that knowledge base than handy looking jigs and gimmicks with catchy names - tools that you could make yourself from scrap and have it be a better fit.

It sounds like you have your head on straight as far as how you are beginning this. 

It may serve you to look for local woodworkers and self employed custom cabinet makers. Neato tools, small supplies of domestic lumber, and a short cut to mentor level skills and knowledge.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

BubbleZ,

Welcome aboard.  :cheers:

Remember, you can never have too many clamps.  As part of your tool acquisition, I would also recommend magnification.  A $15 magnifying headset (with illumination, if possible) is invaluable.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Rocky Mountain Shipwrights, located there in Denver.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone! I appreciate all the advice or tips at any time!

@Chuck Seiler Thanks. Bookmarked their page for future reference. And I've added the headset to my wish list!  Oh and I can see that about the clamps from just looking at other's builds here *lol*

Edited by bubblezephyr

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Greetings! What do I call you? Good place to be for learning and doing anything wooden ship building! 👍😊

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Welcome, from a fellow Coloradan a bit north. Clamps, sanding tools, and tweezers mostly.  You’ll also likely find yourself making as many tools and jigs as you purchase.

A warm welcome to the fray BZ.   Your choice for the Shipwright series is very wise.  You will learn good techniques that will carry on as you get into more detailed projects.   

A magnifying visor is great advice.  The downside is you will see things that you thought were perfect may not be.😀  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

6 hours ago, allanyed said:

A magnifying visor is great advice.  The downside is you will see things that you thought were perfect may not be.😀

That happens when you take close-up pictures also.  "Where did all that dust come from?"

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum