Hello everyone I am trying to find an U.S.S. Olympia kit that is not by Lindberg and is at the 1/232 range. If anyone knows where I can find one I would appreciate it! 

My co workers Grand Father sailed on it and her Dad is retiring from the Navy and wants to surprise him with this model so I figured I would try to find it but I don't want the knock off cheap version of the kit that Lindberg gives. Atleast from the reviews I have seen it's not good at all. 

It's not as large being that it is 1/350 scale but it is an accurate model, possibly more accurate than the Revell kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/402363546209?hash=item5daebc7a61:g:QHkAAOSwy2tfN~~H 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ca/c-06/olympia-232-enc/enc-review.html

When I did a search for USS Olympia - to make sure of the ship identity and how a ship from the Great White Fleet era could have a crewman who was close to someone still living - this link came up.  A very old plastic kit seems to have been resurrected.  I have no idea about its quality, but at least the actual plastic material will not have been subjected to 70 years of possible oxidation and continued polymerization to a brittle or powder covered surface.  

It is a shame that the Bluejacket version was such a short run.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Good luck finding the Encore Olympia. It was made by Squadron. Also as a limited edition model based on the Revell kit. Squadron went out of business and was purchased a year or two ago. I contacted the new owner trying to get the PE that he said was still around somewhere for my older Revell kit but he would need some time as he was just restarting up again., but he never followed up. 

Gold Medal Models makes a PE set as well as Toms models for the Revell kit. There are also wooden decks available and brass barrels. 

I agree, the Blue Jacket kit would have made a nice option.

This is my 1/72 Olympia

image.png.6a22d7dae79683faa196ed3f02610500.png

A little larger than any of them but it has presence! :D I wanted the Oregon as well but it was not to be.:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

There’s an old Life-Like Olympia in 1/240 scale for $62 with free shipping on EBay right now.

It’s still completely sealed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115198057587

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 1:22 PM, MrBlueJacket said:

We have had many requests to resurrect both the Maine and Olympia kits, but I believe that would be unethical and I won't do it. However, our soon-to-be-released kit of the USS Oregon will be open stock, and not limited.

Nic

Why I love your Company sir!  Thanks!