La Nina by MateuszPL - Artesania Latina - 1:65

Based on the experience of building previous ships, I decided to add the ship's keel and stem at this stage.It's my first time doing it so I don't know if it's a good move. In previous ships, installing them was the most difficult for me. Therefore, this time I want to try this method.

I've already installed the side waterways. Now I will proceed to the initial hull plating. This may take me several days.

IMG20220511203833.thumb.jpg.ce6eb64f01192d44e766be7bca3ed76e.jpgIMG20220511205732.thumb.jpg.2efa2276b232749e9f7656bffe6c6acc.jpgIMG20220511213329.thumb.jpg.76eb0e2dc6cd58eab221d3192df2617a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice work on your first planking, and filling and sanding should smooth it off well.

However, may I suggest that before you begin second planking, you check out the planking tutorials at https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/ - these show you how best to achieve the best planking finish, the way it was done with real ships.

Good work!

Steven 

Please do take Steven's advice above and thoroughly study the planking tutorial by David Antscherl (https://thenrg.org/resource/articles) in the Article data base and Chuck Passaro's 4 part videos on proper planking techniques so at least the second layer looks good.  There is no need to use metal pins, especially on the second layer.   Is there a reason you used pins?

Good luck!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, MateuszPL said:

Why did I use pins? Because the manual said so

No surprise there.   After studying the tutorials you will see that this is totally unnecessary. Sanding and otherwise fairing the hull is difficult at best with hundreds of nails with which you have to contend.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

This looks like a fun model!  When the hull planking was attached, was it glued in addition to having the pins?   If so, I'd strongly recommend removing the pins before starting the second layer of planking.  Once the pins are removed, filler is applied to the hull (including any damage incurred during pin removal), and the hull sanded smooth, you should have a very good surface in which to apply the second layer of planking.  :)

Alan

• 1 month later...

Hi, even if it's not planked by the book that's a ready good job , I could not get mine by the book either.But we will on our next one. 😊  It looks really good mate!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, MateuszPL said:

varnish

Of course, yes. Some varnishes, such as wax for wood, don't allow any bond, but most of them still have good adhesive to additional deck fittings. I would recommend the dewaxed shellac from Zinsser's. Shellac is a nearly all purpose varnish and bond for wood and thread.

- Dry within 15 minutes. (Faster than oil and water based varnish)

- Safe (Alcohol based)

- Convenience (A little bottle of shellac lasts for a few days.)

- Easy removable (Ethanol or IPA)

- Nice coat (A little yellowish satin surface - not glossy)

- Long shelf life (more than 5 years + add some alcohol to thin)

- Application - Nearly all place of wooden model ship!

Wood conditioner ◎, wood varnish ○, great paint primer (especially metal surface) ◎, good bond for thread and knot ◎

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the figurines engaged in typical shipboard tasks. Great looking model and a fleet to be very proud of!

Ken

Current Build

HM Alert - 1777 - Vanguard

Next Build

Fair American - Model Shipways

Completed Builds

18TH Century Merchantman Half Hull Planking Kit - NRG

San Juan Felucca - OcCre