BOUNTY by samueljr - Mamoli - refit

Hi All,

Seeing how I have so little else to do..........LOL?  I thought I'd take on a self -indulgent project of sorts. Let me explain.

A while back a local builder (to me) asked if I would be interested in finishing his BOUNTY. He started it about 15 years ago and for a number of reasons has never finished it. Now that he has retired and has time he finds himself no longer interested in modeling and would rather work on his motorcycle.

I guess there's no accounting for taste..........

Having SO MUCH FREE modeling time on my hands I of course said sure.  So now I own a BOUNTY.

The model was about his third project and he made some very sincere attempts at "bashing/upgrading" the kit based on McKay's AOS (which I have also taken possession of from him). Alas, being only his third ship the attempts found a wide range of success or failure. 

So here's what I'm going to do (I think)

I'm going to break the build down but not disassemble the kit as a whole. It will almost be akin to the refits the Admiralty would undertake when bringing a damaged or purchased ship into service.

Over the next few posts I'll be describing in some detail what I intend to do with each aspect of the ship and we'll see where it goes from there...........

I've attached a few pics. Unlike ESSEX or any of the Expo projects the pics will be from the work bench only. I'm not going to the trouble of the whole background/lighting "thing" for photos.

And as always for those of you who will inevitably ask............... I don't know at this time if I'm including sails (but feel free to ask again and again)............ LOL

Sam 

post-591-0-31808200-1376339119_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-62456800-1376339132_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-90141300-1376339145_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-13103400-1376339164_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-23013300-1376339178_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-81451100-1376339191_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-01479200-1376339709_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-89182000-1376339725_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-30073700-1376339754_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-10462900-1376339768_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-72459300-1376339784_thumb.jpg

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Sam,

It looks like it was not so poorly done, to start with. I can see the Model Expo projects taking a toll on their expected delivery dates.... LOL!!

That should be fun. There is always pleasure in renovating and restoring old stuffs.

Yves

Yves

Actually there are some aspects that are fairly well built.   The first thing I have done is read through McKay's AOS. His research and source information is (as expected) very strong and credible. I don't think I'll need to go the route of acquiring plans from the NMM as his are based on them and his additional sources include the "standards" for rigging (which I would refer to any way).

What I am going to do first is a "scale test".  By that I mean take the dimensions off the model and based on the advertised scale apply and translate them against the dimensions in the AOS. This should give me a good idea of the over all model's accuracy as far as scale.

I'll conduct this test with as much of the model as I can. From there I can determine what needs to be replaced due to scale. After that it's based on construction and aesthetics (I guess).

As far as Expo's projects the ESSEX rig is my weekday project. This is only weekend work as I see fit to devote time to it. 

Thank's for checking in

Sam

Sam, 

Like Yves said, it doesn't look to bad as a start.  I am interested in seeing how she turns out and the improvements you make on her.  Good luck and I will be following along!

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

Ah yes, the BOUNTY, I'm not going to ask about the sails but.... What's happened to the copper plates!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Jersey

A voice from home of sorts - I actually grew up in Niagara Falls. From your moniker can I assume you are now located in the "garden state"?  I'll give you a pass on the sails comment so you're not going on the "list" - consider it a home town favor - but only this time - LOL!

S.Coleman - They're falling off! I'll go into more detail in my future posts / assessments of the build as delivered. In short they are the old style copper plates that were glued on with some type of agent that has from initial inspection crystallized. The builder thinks he might have used some type of contact cement but cant remember. I haven't fully examined them yet but am certain that they'll all be removed.

Sam

Sam

it is somehow like renovating a bargain bought old house, the more you tear down, the more difficult the decision when to stop. I`m sure you shall find the required Balance and bring the bounty to new blossum....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils,

A new "voice" to this undertaking - welcome. Obviously my first inclination was just to tear it all apart - or not do it at all. But it seems to be fairly well built. I don't know much about the kit itself although I've done a couple of Mamoli products and they're OK.

Where it seems (so far) to be lacking is in the "finesse" of the finishes so the trick for me will be too find the spot to stop at.

Keep checking in and feel free to comment, offer suggestions or ideas

Sam

Hiya Sam,

Have always wondered how folks go about renovating/cleaning/fixing these ships once they are done, so this will be very interesting to follow along on!!

Am all comfy and my popcorn and big gulp - you may proceed :P

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Adam

This is a first for me so it will be a learning experience. I believe that the true lesson will be knowing when to accept something that isn't necessarily what or how I'd do it if it were a new build. Recognizing that after a certain point it's not a refit but just a deconstruction and I should have just build the thing from keel up if I was really interested in doing a BOUNTY.

I am of the mind that not every single build has to be a "masterpiece" and some ships/builds are just what they are. There's beauty in every build. I'll take a well done PHANTOM over an average VICTORY any day of the week........

I love popcorn - please let it be kettle corn!

Sam

Hi, Sam - looks like another good build starting - I imagine you will "sail" right through?

I saw someone asking for popcorn - here's a machine.  Anyone have the kettle corn for popping?

empty_popcorn_machine_by_monkeynpc-d48sk

Will settle in back here in the corner and join the crowd!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Trippwj,

You gain a pass from the "list" because you brought the pop corn machine for the sail comment.

Keep in mind I can only eat so much pop corn......

Build (re-build) should be fun

Sam

While aboard the Ammen DD 527 in 1960, I was told of another use for popcorn. If  ever unfortunate to get infected with those little croch bugs, go to the movie and buy a bag of popcorn, butter and salt it well. As you eat it, some will drop onto your lap and the little critters will have a feeding frenzy. Being a herd animal, when one gets thirsty and goes for a drink, they all will go with him, when they do, change seats.

jud

couldn't help myself.

Been watching these builds and giving some thought into building the Rattlesnake from scratch. Do have my own lathe and milling machine and have been giving some thought about building a saw and thickness sander to aid in providing my own cut lumber. Made my living as a Land Surveyor and just closed my office and moved it home, so I already have Cadd and a stand alone COGO program I have used for years along with a printer that will print 24" X 36" sheets. I may have a head start on the need graphics tools. Still doing some Survey Jobs going on so the ship building probabley won't get started until mid winter. Meantime I will continue to enjoy watching the builds and reading the banter.

Out here we call it "Rocky Mountain P#ss Water," so wouldn't want to inflict that on my MSW shipmates! :) Kidding aside now that it's pasteurized, is Coors available on the East Coast Sam? I lived in CT during my high school years and used to bring it from CO to friends in CT; back then it wasn't available pretty much east of the Mississippi because of the pasteurization issue. These days, I'm mainly a scotch drinker so if I were bringing beverages, it'd be the brew of your choice along with a very mellow 18-year old single malt. :)

On a different note, I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with the re-fit and how you decide to do those areas. It'll be a great to see how an experienced builder tackles those jobs!

Jay

Current Build:

Jay,

I actually never liked Coors when it finally became available out here. And now (due to medical reasons) I am a 100% tea-totaller of any alcohol so I'll just have a coke with my pop corn.

I'll have to wait to make decisions until I have the ship stripped down a bit. Once I've made my scale assessment then I'll know where I'm headed.

Keep in touch (you're still on the list though - lol)

Sam

So I just have to out my two cents in on the beer issue, if we are talking about Colorado beer can we go with some New Belgium beer like fat tire or 1554 please? Hell, I would even take craft blue moon from coors field!

Jay, are you going to the IPMS Nationals in Loveland this weekend? If nothing else, it will be a gigantic hobby shop to peruse and they will be having seminars on models building techniques.

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

I'm with ya on the alternative CO brews, Max! Friends don't let friends drink Coors--lol. :) I wasn't aware of that event, Max--I'll have to see what I've got on the burner this weekend; hopefully I can make it, as it sounds great! Thanks for passing that info on.

Completely understand Sam--cokes it is! :)

Jay

Current Build:

Hey Sam, joking aside, I saw the other day that you were looking for Admiralty Paints. I just ordered my next build--Sherbourne--from Cornwall Model Boats in the UK. I also ordered the Admiralty Paint set for the build from them, too--so it's no hassle getting the paints shipped to the US. Sorry I didn't remember about your post when I placed my order, as I would have gotten the paint for you--the light just came on this evening... :(

Here's a link to Cornwall: http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/admiralty_paints_water.html

You can also order them direct from Jotika: http://www.shipwrightshop.com/shop/contents/en-uk/d22_Admiralty-Paints-Individual-Colours.html

Jay

Edited by JMaitri

Current Build:

Jay,

Thanks for the offer - I'm already ahead of you though, I ordered them a while back when I was considering this project.

Great minds think alike.

You're OFF the list.

Sam

Wahoo, I'm off "THE LIST!!"  post-4129-0-44781800-1376710957.gif

Glad you were able to get the paint, Sam.  :) I've heard a lot of positive comments on the forum about Admiralty Paints.  I'll be interested to see what you think when you start using it, as it probably won't be until a couple months from now that I'll be trying out some airbrushing with it.

Jay

Current Build: