San Juan by flutlo6180 - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:70 - felucca

Starting this build log well into my build, but better now then never.

I've completed the hull and placed most of the deck fittings.  There are several aspects of the hull that didn't go very well and much of that stems from breaking one of the bulwarks when trying to attach to the deck and planking the outside of the bulwarks before installation. I made a replacement piece for the bow section of the starboard bulwark that broke.

What I don't understand is what I did wrong that resulted in the bulwarks being curved inward as can be seen in the photos. The inward curve caused the bow stem, and keel pieces to not fit properly and the bulwark at the bow being about half the height above the deck then it should in the plans and also caused some misalignment of the top rail pieces. These compounding early build issues have been a constant source of frustration and disappointment but not nearly enough to turn me off this build or continuing with the next. In retrospect I should have remade the entire starboard bulwark and removed the port side and started over with some advice.

For the most part, the rest of the build has gone well. I found the build log by Baltic Submariner for the same model which inspired me to make some wood pieces to replace some of the metal components.

20220625_160555.jpg

20220627_121827.jpg

20220630_164639.jpg

20220630_164649.jpg

20220627_164150.jpg

20220627_164239.jpg

Ken

Current Build

HM Alert - 1777 - Vanguard

Next Build

Fair American - Model Shipways

Completed Builds

18TH Century Merchantman Half Hull Planking Kit - NRG

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Need some thoughts on installing the shrouds. The references I search show British / American rigging with the shrouds wrapping around the mast above the crosstrees, but this felucca has no cross trees and only sketches without directions.

From the sketch, it would appear that the shrouds are seized directly to the mast just below the masthead but not sure if that interpretation is what is intended or proper. Is there a correct way to affix the shrouds to the mast where there are no crosstrees??

Ken

Main Top Close.jpg

Main Top Full Sketch.jpg

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Thank you E Z Breeze. I'll press on and post a picture of the end result when I finish.

Ken

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Ken, you are correct in the assumption of the shrouds being directly seized to the mast. E Z also hit the nail on the head as small boats have much lighter loads on the mast due to less sail.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Thanks to you both for sharing your insights. This ship does have shrouds on both sides which I imagine would make tacking quite a challenge to work the boom to the leeward side.

Ken

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

The metal small boats that came in the kit really detracted from the overall look so I took inspiration from several build logs and customized them a bit.  I used thick paper cut into 3mm wide strips to simulate planking, and added a rudder and tiller. The final bit was adding the oars made from modified tooth picks.

On to the bow sprit and anchors while I continue working on the standing rigging and setting up the blocks for the running rigging.

Ken

20220709_161010.jpg

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Hi Ken,

is the line on the davits holding your boat from the kit?

For the future, keep in mind the planking on the boats was similar to that on the ship, that is, the strakes were tapered and end at the rabbet.  For the oars, Steel gives dimensions of the parts of the sweeps and oars for various size boats that you may find interesting. 

Breadth of boat

Oar    Handle  Loom  Body      Blade   Loom Square    Blade Broad   BladeThickmess    Diam      

Lengths                                                                Inner  Outer    Inner Outer           of                                 

Feet                          feet      ft. in.    ft.in     ft.in.          ft.in.      in.             in.       in.          in.       in.              in.

7-0                            20     0-10        6-0      6-10         6-4         4               3 1/8   6 1/8     2 7/8   7/8           1 ¾

6-0                            19     0-10        5-0      7-2           6-0         3 7/8           3        6           2 ¾    7/8            1 ¾

5-0                            18     0-10        4-0      7-6           5-8         3 7/8           3        6           2 ¾    7/8            1 ¾

4-6                            17     0-10        3-6      7-4           5-4         3 ¾            2 7/8   5          2 ¾    7/8           1 ½

4-0                            16     0-10        3-0      7-4           5-4         3 ¾            2 7/8   5          2 ¾    7/8           1 ½

500299408_Oardrawing.jpg.dc2822f6657d31efe532c8c3da112211.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi allanyed,

On 7/10/2022 at 4:20 PM, allanyed said:

is the line on the davits holding your boat from the kit?

Yes, that is a boat from the kit after I modified it a bit.

Thank you for the info on proportions for oars for various size boats and you point about planking being similar between boats and the ship. I will definitely keep that in mind going forward.

Ken

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Continued to progress on my felucca build. Hull is now complete with all deck fittings installed.  I modified the anchors with wooden stocks using the sketch Gregory posted in Dave E. Rattlesnake build and installed.  I find these types of sketches and tables to be most helpful to get close to proper dimensions like for the stocks.

Ken

Anchor Comparison.jpg

Bow on Bow Sprit.jpg

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

From the previous picture you can also see that I've installed the bow sprit.  My early problem with the bulwarks came up again as I worked on the bow sprit.  In addition to needing more height for hole, I needed to try and make the bow look more presentable. You can see the changes in relation to what it previously looked like as shown in the first picture. I recognize that I am straying away historical accuracy, but other than tearing down the entire build and starting over, I really had no choice.

Hopefully, the bulwark issue won't raise its ugly head again, and there will be no more need to stray from the build plans as I move on to the masts and rigging.

Ken

20220630_164649.jpg

Bow Sprit.jpg

Bow with Sprit.jpg

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Good progress this week on my build and almost ready to step the masts, bend on sails and install the yards and mizzen boom,  Masts and yards are shaped with blocks and parrels fitted, and working on the lower blocks for the shrouds.  This rig is quite different in that there are no deadeyes and the shrouds are set for quick disconnect via a pin similar to a  belaying pin.

I am quite excited about where I am with this first build, and the Commander in Chief is chuckling at me every time I go show her my progress.  Overall, I'm pleased with the results, albeit far from the quality of workmanship I see from so many other build logs, but I plan to get there at some point. I've learned so much thus far in the build and am keeping a running list of lessons learned that I'll post when the San Juan is complete.

Ken

Lower Main Shroud Blocks and Yard block.jpg

Mizzen Yard Perrel.jpg

Main Yard Parrel with Ribs and Rollers.jpg

Main Yard.jpg

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

My San Juan is moving past the sheer hull with the mizzen mast stepped, yard installed and spanker boom set.  Connecting the yard with the parrel just seems odd as it just wraps around the mast and gets tied in place.  I understand the mechanics and looked hard and the build log from Baltic-submariner and a you tube video, but not sure I have it correctly connected to the yard lift.  I took 2- turns around the mizzen and tied the perrel off with the lifting line tied to where the parrel and mast meet. It's functional, but just seems wrong.  

I am following the advice and sequencing in Frank Mastini's Ship Modeling Simplified and built the mast off to the side on a block of wood. I can certainly see why he says to not build the mast after stepping it in place. It would have been very difficult to file lines, blocks and the parrel any other way and would likely have resulted in breaking something.  

Strapping the blocks took longer that I anticipated an I still need to connect the spanker sheets,  but all said I think I made good progress this weekend.

Ken

Mizzen - Port Quarter View.jpg

Mizzen - Stern View.jpg

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

• 2 weeks later...

Received the rope I needed and shifted back to this build from the half-hull planking kit.  I realized after lashing the top of the mizzen shrouds to the mast head that I neglected the beckets in the blocks. Fortunately I was able to resolve that issue without having to start over with new shroud lines and re-strapping the blocks. With the minor setback behind me, I was able to complete rigging the remainder of the mizzen mast and install the sail.

image.png.c85211b8a02b8f502fb42dd696a25b20.png

Admittedly, I am learning a lot from this first build but I find this kit leaves a lot to be desired. Plans have many lines just tied to the pin rail (no belaying pins at all), up to 3 running lines connecting to the same deck cleat, and sail sheets tied off to the cleats on the aft boat boom. Additionally, the number of single blocks was not sufficient for all the places needed (I've had to make 3 so far and will need 1 more), and an overage of double blocks.

I will still display it with pride as my first build and as a reminder of the many lessons learned - both good and otherwise - I've discovered during the process.

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Hi Ken,

VERY neat work!   

One comment/question, hope that is OK.  It may be me or the photos are not clear, but your blocks look to be mostly upside down.   

Allan

1225056596_UpsidedownblocksA.JPG.92d17806c35abe24e276d7037109d514.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 8/5/2022 at 7:03 AM, allanyed said:

but your blocks look to be mostly upside down

Thanks for the feedback Allen.  I was so pleased that I had found a good method, but you are correct, they are all upside down. Another lesson learned.

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

I finished!!! So excited to complete my first build despite all its flaws. 

2016040261_PortQuarter-FInished.thumb.png.ae00abfa73fec46d98376ebc38450c0b.png

1228891889_PortBeam-Finished.thumb.png.6f364a5662dd73cbdccdae7c208b67c9.png

Not including technique and methods, here are some quick lessons I learned during this build:

• Read through the complete build plan carefully before starting
  • Build sequence may need to change - look for sequences that could cause difficulty
  • Mistakes don't get better with age, they tend to compound
  • If a part breaks, stop, tear it down and rebuild a new part
  • When in stuck or in doubt, ask the question on the build log. There is always someone (and usually several) experienced modelers willing to throw a lifeline.

Thanks to all who responded to my questions, periodically monitored my build, and commented or liked aspects of my build during this journey.

Going to order my next kit now!!!

Port Beam - Finished.png

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

• 7 months later...

Ken, a little late here, but congratulations on finishing the San Juan last summer.  I am in the midst of building her currently as my maiden venture into modelling.  

I am curious about two things here:

• Did you do any staining/dying/painting of the San Juan?  I am pondering trying to add a little color to the deck, but this being my first build I'm fairly unfamiliar with the process of applying any sort of finish.  Curious if you did any sort of finishing to the Sapele second plank layer on the hull as well.
  • Did you add the keel/stem/stern post before or after you finished planking the hull?  I did them after, and I am wondering if I could have achieved a more exact and flush plank layer if I had attached the keel, stem, and stern post prior to the planks.

Cheers,

Will

Edited by PostCaptainAubrey

-Will

Current Build:

Felucca San Juan by OcCre

• 2 months later...

Hi Will. Thanks for your post. Sorry my reply is a bit late but I've been away from the site for a while. As to finish, I used a polyurethane satin varnish on the hull, deck and all deck structures and fittings.  I used a small flat brush to apply. I think the varnish was sufficient to bring out a richer color in the wood.

Like you, I added the keel, stem and sternpost after planking per the instructions. I believe the end result would have been better if I had installed them before planking.

I found the San Juan an enjoyable first build and learned a ton during the build which got me motivated to continue with additional builds.

Ken

Ken

Current Build

Next Build

Completed Builds

San Juan Felucca - OcCre