Pinta by Knocklouder - FINISHED - Amati - 1:65

Martín Alonso Pinzón, (Spanish pronunciation: [maɾˈtin aˈlonso pinˈθon]; Palos de la Frontera, Huelva; c. 1441 – c. 1493) was a Spanish mariner, shipbuilder, navigator and explorer, oldest of the Pinzón brothers. He sailed with Christopher Columbus on his first voyage to the New World in 1492, as captain of the Pinta.

The captain of my new log!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Hi so this is my second build can hardly wait , it was so much fun doing the first. 

First I must thank all of MSW for helping me through it, Plus I must say sorry for all the typos.

my son said Dad dont type you cant even spell your name backwards  LOL. Look but dont type he said lol.

Armed with one build under my belt on to the next. It was supposed to be here today but NOOOO, tomorrow.lol so I will open it      tomorrow lol. There are so many Pinta builds here I am sure this one should be a little essery to do HA.

well thanks all again Lets set sail or way anchor   lol

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

Well I feel guilty  😔. Look what came in the mail today , the sister ships 😬 

20220705_161338.jpg

20220705_174725.jpg

So happy to do another ship, The Pinta or the painted one they called it, open the box and looked around a bit.

20220705_162312.jpg

Edited by Bob M
fingers were dirty

Then my heart sank, ahhh one piece is broken.  Got ready to phone Amati  man Not happy. Being older I put my glass on looked closer it's just an ink line sands out esay if needed. It will do

20220705_170419.jpg

20220705_170327.jpg

So  most builds I see start with an open the box picture, I plan to build the ship right out of the box, minor changes maybe but by the book.The Santa Maria institutions are in Italian,  was hard to follow, as my new found friend Lapinas will tell you about   he has a great page I sat for hours learning planking  putting it together  thanks so much. Many other pages  help to . 

This one is in English and looks easier to read.   I  will try to use what I learned  on the first  to improve on the next.

First thing I noticed only two rolls of rope instead of four , be done in no time lol. 🙃 😅  Well it begins  but real life is calling, did I mention I was old and can't hear to good .     Bye for  now.  👋 👋 👋 👋 

Edited by Bob M
typos of course

2074528617_291348712_1223935948424277_7496879727387944482_n(1).thumb.jpg.9f1f39b5f4a2ad53864e32e47a0f6806.jpg

20220707_000143.jpg

It's amazing the size difference . Having computer problems, it does not understand me,

Edited by Bob M
Typo of course

I just put it together lose, I will take it apart and shim it here and there and clamps lots of clamps. 

I found a pdf file on a page I have no I deal how I

I got to But it about decking  I would like to learn because I drew it with a pencil on The Santa Maria , and would like to do it right this time. Was that cheating just drawing  it in with a  pencil lol   The pdf is great  for figuring out how to lay it out should be fun  Plus  got my new hand drill to make all the tiny holes in the deck . I will post here when I start Clamping the painted one together.

Edited by Bob M
typos of course

22 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

Are you sure about that Bob? The line follows the grain and crucially goes all the way through the wood. I can't help thinking that's either a crack or possibly spalting, either of which would cause much heartache for you later.

yep it will do !!

I am going to ban myself, would like to start a page of apologies, And great fullness to all MSW staff who have to fix all this but I don't Know how sheepleesslee  saying sorry 

Edited by Bob M
typos of course

18 minutes ago, Bob M said:

I am going to ban myself, would like to start a page of apologies, And great fullness to all MSW staff who have to fix all this but I don't Know how sheepleesslee  saying sorry 

Good nite.

8 hours ago, Bob M said:

I am going to ban myself, would like to start a page of apologies

I don't see anything in your posts that is ban-worthy. Keep your chin up and model on!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Been looking for books, web pages and trying to navigate the forms, I found a pdf on decking I like it  

DECK PLANKING.pdf

This is going to help me decide my next decking, might use pencil to shade the edges of the planks. Plus  I got the book    Shipbuilding Simplified,      great book I am getting excited about trying some of these things , Not sure about copy right things, but I think if I post something that I am not suppose to they notify me quickly. LOL .

👋👋 

Edited by Bob M
typos of course

You have made a good start on your model.  I am looking forward to seeing more progress on this build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi Bob, good luck with your build. 

WRT the decking article, please be aware the width of the individual planks (driven by available timber), plank shift (number of planks between/before the pattern starts again) and tree nailing (trennels) is determined from a bunch of variables depending on when (period of original vessel's build), who built it (nationality) and how realistic/close to original the method you wish to emulate.  The article you show will be a great help, as would be any of the ones available in the MSW articles database (see top tabs).  Drawing lines is quite OK, it is entirely up to the builder how they wish to do it, but if you wish to progress your planking skills, laying individual planks is the way to go.

If this is early in your learning curve, stick with a pretty simple butt shift/plank pattern and simply develop your skills in laying down planks.  Most of us have had to go through these learning curves, which really never stops.

I'll follow with interest.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Banyan, 😊, it is very early in my curve,  the article help me pick a patten for the ship,well trying to be some what historical, I have decided  yep simple  butt shift pattern.   I posted this because it help me would like to put the half hull kit link on this page to but  As you probably see  computer skill lacking, 😉.  Thanks to spell check I can be  somewhat  readable lol.

Edited by Bob M
Typo of course

Anyway  this is what I have done, lots of clamps squared it up by using blocks like They did on shipphotograper.com page ,20220707_202204.thumb.jpg.ddcdf6b1362d0e47de66b5627107edcd.jpg

20220707_203000.jpg

Made a material  list in English , then sanded all the bulk heads that need it ran a plank over it looks like I am good for planking.  But need to do the decks so been looking for ideals, seen sum beautifully  decks here , would like to imitate  the black caulking  ideal Going to use a pencil  to blacken  the sides , going with the butt shift pattern this time . I will  post when I finish,  Can't get the hang of posting and following,  And feel like spending more time trying to fix my page than just modeling ,So until I get to know how  model  model model lol

20220708_165150.jpg

20220708_172315.jpg

Edited by Bob M
typos of course

Decide to deck using 80 cm and 40 cm deck boards starting mid ship and moving outwards, once glued will stain and varnish the deck to keep them some what protected  . Later 😀

2 minutes ago, Bob M said:

Decide to deck using 80 cm and 40 cm deck boards starting mid ship and moving outwards, once glued will stain and varnish the deck to keep them some what protected  . Later 😀

Starting at the stern!

On 7/9/2022 at 8:43 AM, Bob M said:

once glued will stain and varnish the deck to keep them some what protected

Bob, a good idea to protect the planking after you lay it, but please be aware of two 'things' to make your life a little easier.  First, choose the varnish/stain carefully after testing on the same type of wood, as some varnishes can change the colour/tone of the wood.  More importantly, be aware of where you will need to glue/fix deck furniture etc as gluing to a varnished surface will not provide the necessary strength sometimes - you can either not varnish that area, or you could use additional fixing supports (such as pins etc).  Just a head's up.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks 😊 

20220708_220901.thumb.jpg.481b1449b8a7fc293ce271cbbdab6450.jpgI looked all over MSW for decking ,got to many ideals , but keeping with small steps,  I did  a butt shift patten that I thought the Pinta might have.That Pdf file on decking got me Rev up to do a 5 shift patten but I don't think the Pinta had that anyway. 

So this is my poop deck, I did not need to drill the holes on the stern or most of the front row ,lol practice  🤔.  The pencil  lines  look good , it will do. Not sure if you can see them in the picture but close to what I wanted. More practice grasshopper. 20220708_220651.thumb.jpg.62650187cd9fc14a4c22afc76b2b10b1.jpg

20220708_225508.jpg

This is what I came up with,  it will do.Just hope I can do the same on the main deck. Learning lots and having the time of my life. Modeling, ship building very addictive  lol  😆 😄 😂 😅  Till next time.

20220709_203937.jpg

20220709_205400.jpg

Edited by Bob M
Yep typos 😒

I plan on puttying the holes , but later there will be more holes to fill ,this time I want to drill holes in the planking and putty them as well I won't mix the putty till ready to do them all.  

Edited by Bob M
more typos again

20220713_221412.thumb.jpg.46cc3d2178f40afeeba82a04917a35fc.jpg

Making progress 😌.  Still can't under stand some of forms  stuff, but my son is teaching me.  Learning lots,  don't  want to ask questions that's been asked millions of times ,but if you don't know were to look .For the first year I never click on the banner  that said , no modeling questions,  lol I clicked on it found  the form ,kid on the lose lol 😆 😂. Thought  shore leave was punishment  lol time outs lol . But all in all getting the hang of it so, again sorry for taking so long for the switch to come on.

Well found a site that show how to blacken the side of your planks. Black marker, he did pastel,  marker, black string.

The pastel was messy ,string more then I wanted to do so marker it was. It turn out good for me . One thing is the colour of the stain I used for the floor, I should have used a light Grey stain but it will do. Because I did the Santa Maria  floor want all 3 ships to have the same color.20220713_221410.thumb.jpg.6f8fdff9c8b17817f4730f6ca69e082e.jpg

Edited by Bob M
typos of course

Done this.

20220714_005521.jpg

20220714_005601.jpg

20220714_010126.jpg

20220714_005833.jpg