Pinta by Knocklouder - FINISHED - Amati - 1:65

Well finally  👏, got some more supply. Plus I ordered the Sea of Galalie boat, yesterday, but it's coming by way of ,yep ,u.   I can't even say it lol, it will get here when it gets here, got lots to do in the mean time lol.

20220805_212509.jpg

20220805_212721.jpg

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Plus did some work on the Pinta,the decks are done. I planked the stern and one on the side and that all for today . I am starting a pirate school for pre schoolers,  ha can you belive it , so far  two grandkids 3 and 5 plus a neighbors 3 year old. Every Wednesday,  10 till two. My family think I have lost it , but I am old time running out we got ships to build lol :piratetongueor4:.:10_1_10:

20220807_010909.jpg

20220807_010522.jpg

20220807_010549.jpg

20220807_010504.jpg

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

And yes Thanks to all who help get my logo, flying my colours lol Happy to help in a small way , but I got so much in return thanks everyone:cheers:

So today I sprayed shellac sealer on the deck and the stren. Also had to take this plank off its a different withed, left overs from the Santa Maria , I  never notice till Went to put the second one on, 

20220807_010909.jpg

20220809_023948.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder

Planking the side now should go ok everything look like it supposed to.I have a hard time figuring out the right layout for the planks but once you lay that first strip across the rest just fall into place,  the sealer really makes the grain of the wood stand out I like it. Can't wait for the planks to be done so I can spray the whole ship. The pace may be quicking, BECAUSE I order The Sea of Galalie  boat, it will be here in a few days.  Was going to build the Nina next, but me thinks I jumb into the Galalie boat  lol.:10_1_10: Most likely start a new log for it soon,  got the first mate started on the sails for the Pinta ,and found piles of old old fishing line that looks like rope to me so will be using that for the sails . It starting to shine love it, well that all I got  will take more pictures of the planking process  as I go along . So  it won't be long till I up date again. And the new tools and  jigs for cutting are helping I notice an improvement in the ship  🚢 😉 

20220809_004701.jpg

20220809_005249.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

That's looking pretty good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Coming along nicely, mate. Make sure you sand down your second planking nice and smooth when it's complete. I was astounded at the difference sanding the planking made in my own model.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

your Pinta is coming along very nice

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Coming along nicely, Bob!  Have fun with the ship in a bottle!  I know I did and went on a rampage buying bottles at flea markets, etc.  Now I just got to start another one! 

I have found that crochet cord is quite good and comes in different widths, large quantities and fairly cheap.  You can dye or colour them black, etc. if necessary. You can get them anywhere they sell sewing supplies.  (I like Fabricland on St. James).  
C9CC2AA0-03AB-4535-929B-8E0CB9653FDE.thumb.jpeg.2f2f3e571732327a67a3cd845de63b06.jpeg
Clear skies and sharp tools!

- Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Thanks everyone,  😊   I got really busy at work and now I won't have as much time for the Pinta, but I am sure I will sneak  some time on it  lol,got some thread from a fishing box, looks good to me  For around the sails , and  more line for rigging ,plus what's in the kits them self  I should have enough.   And besides the sea of Galalie boat, I ordered the Viking Long Boat and the mayflower  both from Amati.     And when I finish this side job I am on ordering  the Pegasus  from Amati, I know I gone shop crazy  lol.:10_1_10:

20220812_175932.jpg

20220812_180147.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder

Oh yes did I mention that I got this to help out in my builds lol:10_1_10: Really have to thank everyone I see the difference in my work thanks to the right tools and jigs.

Till next time :cheers:

20220812_181847.jpg

Don't know Mike, but I will let you all know how mine works when I figure out how to use it Lol:cheers:

23 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

Don't know Mike,

Sorry, Bob. And if Bob isn't right I'm gonna go ahead and schedule that lobotomy my wife and doctor have been pushing. :)

I'd second Gabek's vote for crochet thread. It comes in various thicknesses and dyes very nicely.

The only problem I found with it is that unlike commercial thread for shipbuilding, there's no logical system for knowing exactly how thick the thread is. It's just a series of numbers - 10, 20, 30 etc, with (IIRC) the higher numbers being thinner. So you can't say "I'd like a thread half as thick as this one" - it just doesn't work that way.

I'll be interested to know how the thread you already have performs. Just be aware that though synthetic thread lasts longer than natural, it is rather "bouncier" so it may not hang the same way. It can also be harder to get glue to adhere to.

Steven

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Sorry, Bob. And if Bob isn't right I'm gonna go ahead and schedule that lobotomy my wife and doctor have been pushing. :)

Bob it is:cheers:

Hello all got my Sea of Galalie boat today can't wait to start it, I have been buying way to many  tools and models so now I have to do some side jobs, I am a journeyman painter and everyone wants their  place painted be for freeze up, and I got the Inside of a church to do so will be busy till Christmas  then I am retiring again lol . I hope I can do some modeling, but I see long days ahead so I don't think I build much till Christmas  but will pop in on rainy days lol Take care all my friend's  I will miss you lol,:10_1_10:

20220815_161322.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
typos of course

No rush, Bob.  Rome wasn't built in a day, nor was a ship.   Kick back, get done the things that need doing.  This hobby isn't going away.  Same applies to buying tools, etc... no rush.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 6:23 PM, Knocklouder said:

Oh yes did I mention that I got this to help out in my builds lol:10_1_10: Really have to thank everyone I see the difference in my work thanks to the right tools and jigs.

I bought this same model of band saw.  While I love Canadian Tire products and half my tools are from them, their lathe and this band saw croaked on me in about a year of not terribly heavy use.  I replaced both with CraftEx brand from BusyBee.  Just as economical, free shipping and much more robust.  

Clear skies and sharp tools!

- Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

• 1 month later...

Hello all, just going to start building again finally  🙌. I am retired again lol . Things went well and have paid off my modeling bill. I have enough models for awhile lol there is a long story about my models and it sort of goes like this.

I bought a Santa Maria from Amati, from a hobby store in Ontario,  paid lots, to much but it was my first and wanted to get a good one, after  buying the Santa Maria I join MSW, 2years ago. Then I  learned that I could buy right from Amati in Italy at half the price. Well the buying frenzy was on. I order The Pinta  and the Nina from Amati for the same price as I payed for the Santa Maria.  BUT there is always a but,ups, took so long to get it here I started calling and complaining  finally got here. I thought it was a one time thing  but no, ordering  again Ups misplaced my  order and took twice as long as the first time I was not impressed, called Amati and complaining about it again now I was dealing with Emilio Marletti  the boss of Amati  and was assured that the next order would be different.  It was some how it got lost and delivered to someone in a nursing home in Ontario  lol. Amati could get no ware with the nursing home because of patient confidentiality  stuff so I had to look up the nursing home number and got it straight  and the kind fellow that got my package sent it to me .He did not want me to use his name ,so thank you to him. 

Now Mr Marletti  and I had some good conversations about this and half joking I said I should get the Pegasus from Amati for free, he did say sorry  for all of this and we left satisfied  But they sent me a Pegasus  free for all my troubles so a big 

THANK YOU  Amati staff and Emilio Marletti for this.

So now I have to finish the Pinta, then the Mayflower  and the Viking Long Boat, Nina,  all by Amati, and then the sea of Galalie boat. By that time I should be confident enough to make the Pegasus  lol. Although I have seen some first time build of the Pegasus that were fantastic. 

Well thats my story now time to start modeling again sorry for the long winded post but much has happened an I am so excited to be able to be part of MSW .

Thanks again Emilio Marletti and Amati staff , and for to be able to use MSW to learn how to build ships, a member for life  😀 😄 :10_1_10:

20221016_110421.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

Good to be back at it, I love this hobby. Planking is going good so makes me think what am I doing is  wrong 😆.  Made some stairs and mouldinds today. Going to break out the dead eyes and start them as well.  Later my friend's 

20221016_162640.jpg

20221016_164555.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

looking good, keep up the great work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Looking good, 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So I finished planking one side, now have to cut up some more planks for the other side. A few mistakes  but over all I like it. Sure am glad to be settling back into the shipyard,  talk at you soon 😋:cheers:

20221018_195647.jpg

So this is my Pinta tonight  I like it. I still need to plank right,hoping the port side goes right, note to self re read  the logs lol. I am trying  hard not to bust open the mayflower  I can't wait  lol.  But I am re reading how to tie knots how to rig , so I figure build both now rig them when I know how lol 😆 

Happy to be able to watch logs wished I was more able to write  but learn as you go Lol 

20221021_183811.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

I got this building slip and Ya if  I could read  it not the right  one but it will do lol all though the Pinta looks small in it lol:cheers:

20221021_190205.jpg

Ok so I'm about to start plaking the port side I think  lol 😆. I have re-read the books ,watched the videos and ya no idea lol .

Going to line it off in four sections  but there is not much to shave off, they just fit lol. Been reading about old Christopher Columbus, seems he wrecked the Santa Maria and got a ride on the Nina for the trip home. Don't drink  and Drive  :cheers:. So I thought how nice it will be when I start the Mayflower no sister ships, well I was wrong again, she had one, the SPEEDWELL.  Started looking 🤔 for one lol. Didn't take me long to find one. Asked the first Mate  👎  ahem NO  no no. Finish what you have lol 😆 😂. So I can get one as soon as I finish what I have . Bet they will be  sold out by then, but it is on the  list. Back to planking  lol

20221022_130757.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒