Erycina by Bowline - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Plymouth Ketch-Rigged Trawler

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually got round to attaching the hinges. See some comments below. Completed the masts gaffs and booms etc. Tapering the dowels turned out to be perfectly achievable just by hand with sandpaper and files.

Here are some comments on the build so far in no particular order.

1. To attach  the steam valve to the steam box rather than do a butt join I drilled a hole, elongated the hole with a knife blade - the brass is soft.

2. The plans are not to 1:1 scale (sorry for the obvious) so don't rush ahead and cut to dowels to the plans - I nearly fell into this.

3. I attached  the rudder hinges with shortened bass pins - this was a mistake and looked horrible - I can't correct it now

4. I wouldn't use the spray Varathane satin varnish again it just doesn't have the silky finish I wanted - the quest continues (recommendations? for Alert?). 

5. The bowsprit was installed not fully resting on the woodwork - I probably will not go back and fix this.

6. Probably should have stained the main mast 

So I'm trying a 75:25 mix of oak brown and scarlet mix (RIT) for the staining of the sails - the end is in sight

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 6.00.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 6.01.34 PM.png

Edited by Bowline

13 hours ago, Bowline said:

(sorry for the obvious)

Good warning - I used the plans for one mast and could not understand why it looked wrong when attaching all the cleats, eyelets etc.   There was also bit of discussion on this when it came to the sails. @AJohnson was making his own.  Turns out plans were reduced by about 15%.

Anyway your build is looking great - the mast look very neat.  Mine has stalled just shy of starting the masts.  Tempted to leave it, but I do have the wonderful sails and it would be a shame not to use them.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Thanks glennard for the suggestion I will definitely try that. I thought the mast etc. production pretty relaxing - its easy to redo stuff if you're not satisfied, just cut the blocks off and start again - so a great and fast learning process. Listening to Brian Eno on Spotify also helps!! I did consider (as a fast build) cutting and joining two sizes of dowels for the main mast build especially as the rigging stay would cover the join, but masking off the transition line with tape and using a flat file worked fine and gave a uniform colour.

Plowing on - sails dyed - I would love to have experimented a little more (but the HMS Alert awaits) - this was 75% Cocoa Brown and 25% Scarlet for 10 mins. Would have been interesting to add a couple of drops of blue, but without going purple!!. I'm using a mast cut off piece for alignment. If I had been making my own sails I definitely would have fallen into the trap of thinking the plan was 1:1 scale. The scissors are a builder"s recommendation from a fly tying supply site.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 9.11.22 AM.png

2 hours ago, Bowline said:

It's just an itty bitty side bar, will focus back soon1975706587_ScreenShot2022-10-05at10_44_12AM.thumb.png.3419381dc99bf2568482da78d79a4ad9.png

Don't do it!  I said that months ago with my "Nisha" 🤐 

Your Erycina is looking very smart, would be a shame for you to abandon her at just the same stage I did.... (I will be back to it next month I think)

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

Don't do it!  I said that months ago with my "Nisha" 🤐 

Your Erycina is looking very smart, would be a shame for you to abandon her at just the same stage I did.... (I will be back to it next month I think)

Don't worry - it would take something pretty drastic to stop at this stage - I mean get the "Finished" badge from the moderators - I owe it to Vanguard Models really

• 2 weeks later...

Slower progress as I learn how to do rigging. In the end I opted to do the seizing of the standard rigging (black) with a contrasting tan colour. I tried black in the beginning with black on black but I couldn't really tell what was going on and ended up with a sort of amorphous blob. So I scrapped those and will  plan on continued tan on black use. So then I will paint the end result black (bow example in one photo below), hopefully that will get a neater result while I learn this art.

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just came across your build log and your work is beautiful. These working boats that Chris has designed are wonderful.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

31 minutes ago, BobG said:

I just came across your build log and your work is beautiful. These working boats that Chris has designed are wonderful.

Thank you - indeed the Vanguard Models are excellent and I have Alert lined up, but after I finish Erycina I have a car project to complete before I can start the Alert. btw I live in EDH 

1 minute ago, Bowline said:

btw I live in EDH 

I'm in the Land Park neighborhood and it's finally raining!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a difficult one. At this scale would you see the individual planks?  Perhaps not, but at the same time I want people to see that it is planked and not just a preformed hull.  Marco photography is ever the harshest critic. For me your hull is perfect.  You are seriously tempting me to finish mine!

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

I don't think I would attempt sails on anything but these Vanguard fishing boats - so the experience is unique although my progress is very slow. We need more finished fishing boats - and there is always Talisker to keep you company !!!