Erycina by Bowline - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Plymouth Ketch-Rigged Trawler

OK - plugging along. I had a last minute change of heart and picked Vallejo medium green but I will keep the stern board that has the "Erycina" transfer Saddle Brown (for now). Just a couple of points; I had to shorten the top rails by about 1/16" to prevent too much of an over hang; the timber heads and top rails need varnishing; the green color is a little darker in actuality; the varnish is spray Varathane Satin - which darkens the pear wood somewhat, but I kinda like that; I'm waiting on my acrylic filler (Ronseal natural) that seems to be on a slow boat from china; and finally I forgot to mention that for the second side planking I used 0.5mm packing strips between the 1st planking and the stern keel and got a much better and even finish.

DSCF5988.JPG

On 8/10/2022 at 6:07 PM, Bowline said:

That's a beautiful build. Hopefully Flirt or Alert is in my future, I have a British Navel officer's sword c1780 that would make a terrific combination display - that's my goal.

IMG_0389.jpg

Now that would make a spectacular presentation for one of the Vanguard RN. models 😁 

thanks for all the encouragement - here are some photos taken in natural light - no filler or varnish to hull as yet - ordered Alert for my next build. Not sure about absence of a rabbet for the 2nd planking in the Alert build but I fancy the the deck planking and single mast best for me at this stage.

_DSF4138.JPG

_DSF4137.JPG

_DSF4135.JPG

_DSF4134.JPG

Not sure how I missed this log, following now.

Very neat indeed.  That’s the hard part over, the rest is pretty straight forward.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

3 minutes ago, Bowline said:

btw - you can see that the varnish has brought out the grain on the deck veneer - that wasn't the effect I was looking for !! - but I think I'm stuck with it now

Until you pointed that out I was oblivious. I’m going to dirty up the deck on my “Nisha” a bit when I get back to it (soon!). These were hard working boats so doubt the decks were scrubbed and clean like holystoned warships decks. 

btw - I just noticed an error in my assembly the fore and main hatches I have aligned both centrally. However the fore hatch should be jogged a little (about a 1/4 of a plank) to starboard so that the starboard edges of both hatches align. Hope that's clear -- it is on Erycina Plan Sheet 4 Detail 1.

Wow that is a great spot.  I did not look at the plan and merely covered the hole in the deck.  The part plan clearly shows the hole to be off centre, but my hatch looks centred.  Mind you when you add the winch gubbins you can’t tell.

Indeed this pic clearly shows the offset

FC1ABBA7-6819-43F6-BBFE-979A0933A4FB.jpeg

By the second pic I have a centred hatch - I must just be on the very edge

62F1D3DB-ED52-469A-98A0-8C7593CA94DF.jpeg

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Semi-corrected the fish hatches to align on starboard edge - first time using the CA de-bonder - it does work!! Added some fittings. I couldn't really find in the manuals/diagrams where the forward cleats where to be attached - so I put them half way up the timber heads (two each side). I have assembled most of the other deck fittings but won't glue them in place until I finish the hull -- the filling & painting, in case I knock them off. Where the h**l is my filler - there is too much Scotch/Irish blood in me to order another tube locally.  

_DSF4141.JPG

_DSF4140.JPG

Love the brown colours on the metal work - so much more natural looking than black.

Hats off for correcting the hatch

haha - too much Scotch in your blood, no such thing especially if it is from Skye.  

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

my hatches where unpainted - so it didn't leave a mark, I figured if it did (leave a mark) I could just glue the hatch back in the same place and cover it up ---- but if they had been painted I wouldn't have chanced it - it could create a big mess presumably with the paint dissolving and spreading over the deck.

Numbs the pain of the midges 🦟

And the minuscule photo etch on my return to the dark side of plastic ships😱 

(with apologies to Bowline for the detour on this excellent build)

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update. I filled the various cracks using slightly diluted acrylic filler (Ronseal) and sanding down using nothing courser than grade 320. Then applied a coat of satin varnish. While it looked mostly pretty smooth some of the pear wood planking came out mismatched colors - unfortunately above the waterline. I had read in other logs that modelers presorted the pear strips before 2nd planking and I definitely wish now I had done the same. I thought it was a little overdoing it - but it's not. Lesson learned. I used the Amati waterline marker, masked off, and then applied 1 coat of the Plastikote sandable white primer. Filled any remaining cracks with a skim of Tamiya putty. The below photos are the current stage after sanding with 400 grit.

DSCF6006.JPG

DSCF6002.JPG

DSCF5996.JPG

Finished up painting the hull. The red oxide primer from Plastikote was excellent. However the white waterline was not as neat as I hoped, certainly more attention here was needed. Little to no planking visible below the waterline - which I know is not everyone's taste. I am painting the rudder separately.

_DSF4155.JPG

_DSF4156.JPG

_DSF4152.JPG

_DSF4153.JPG

_DSF4154.JPG

Edited by Bowline

• 2 weeks later...

Hull nearing completion - just needing the rudder hinges which I forgot about!! and a few other fittings. The "Chaos Black" recommended in a prior build from a member (forgot where) is really excellent and a great find.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 12.55.28 PM.png

Edited by Bowline