Miss Chloe by mtdoramike - a Pat Tritle design

This will be a build of a pleasure/river/lake boat, which was designed by Pat Tritle of the Miss Chloe. I will be working off of a set of plans that I obtained from P. Tritle. She will be roughly 26-27" in length and Beam will be about 7.5". I put in an order for the wood needed to build the Chloe from National Balsa. I started off by cutting out all of the frames and various parts from the plan sheet and gluing them to card stock type heavy paper in order to make templates for current and future use. I then tacked up the working plans and will stare at them for a few days in order to get prepared for the build. 

Disclaimer: I may decide to make some changes here and there, so don't expect a straight from the plans type of build. You may be dissapointed.

fspb0604.jpg

DSC01706.JPG

DSC01707.JPG

DSC01708.JPG

DSC01709.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I happen to be reading the paper this morning and came across an article about the very style of boat the Miss Chloe is, and there are a few of them actually being used to offer boat rides on a lake not so near me. There are a few differences to these compared to Miss Chloe, like the rounded stern/transom and the canopy extending all they way up to the cabin. I'm going to have to take a little trip over there to take a ride on one of them. I actually like the rounded transom better than the squared one on the Chloe, but we'll see how she turns out, I can always make another one with a round transom.  

DSC01720.JPG

DSC01723.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good!  Great start of a cool little subject.  Even better that it's local to you.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice job, Mike. This is a unique model that I haven't seen before.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

21 hours ago, TBlack said:

Nicely done. Good plans to work from. You obviously know what you're doing.

Tom

Thank you for the kind words, yes, I have done this more than a few times. But it seems on every project there tends to be changes or modifications maybe not so much needed as preferred. Yes, Pat does a wonderful job on drafting plans of his creations, which makes building them a breeze. 

Hi Mike, 

I am enjoying your build of Miss Chloe!  The decal that you have for the transom is awesome did you make it yourself or buy it?

john

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Well, I have some good news and some bad news depending on who you are, I just sold the 3/4 finished Miss Chloe to a friend who wants to finish it, but wanhts to make it into a fishing/Lobster boat and intends on distressing it or weathering it. But the good news is, I have the plans as well as the templates to build another one as well as the materials. But that will be a future project. 

I have a few orphans awaiting their turn on the bench. Trumpeter USS Missouri 1/200 scale, Dumas Super Sport or the Dumas Jenny Lee. I will choose one in the next few weeks, I'm going to take a few weeks off from modeling to do some stuff around the house that I have been putting off for that (Tomorrow). It's finally cooling off here in central Florida so it's not as bad being outside.