Auto login failure

A while back I was having trouble editing/adding to some of my posts. The recommendation was to clear my browser cookies.

Well now I can edit things, BUT ...

Auto login no longer works, not only on Model Ship World but also on some other forums. This happens on the first time I try to access the forum after my laptop has been shut down. After that, the auto login works every time until the machine is shut down again (every evening).

When I do try to log on I am presented with two name/password options. But when I look at settings only one is shown.

Note: I found the problem here. The browser (Firefox) actually had three different logins for Model Ship World - one without a name. I deleted all but the one I normally use.

It isn't a big deal, but a bit of a nuisance, especially since it used to log on automatically every time I accessed the forum, even after the machine had been turned off.

Note: I do have the "Remember me" option selected in the login dialog.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Dr PR

Since you reference 'Firefox,' this may not be of help. 

I use Google Chrome.  Even though I do click 'remember me,' I get a pop up that says (in effect),

'You changed your login for this site' and it shows the login id and the asterisks I used for all my passwords. 

I forget the exact prompt that is basically yes/no.  It's something like Accept/Cancel or Update/Cancel.)  If I hit cancel, I have to change the PW again to get the popup.  

Not sure how to force the popup other than change the PW again for the site.  

Also in Chrome, you can edit all your login IDs based and even add to the list.  It's under Settings/Autofill in Chrome.  Not sure what or if such is in FireFox.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Phil, are you using "private" mode on Firefox?   I use it for some sites and with "private" mode, it doesn't seem to fill in login and passwords.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Robert,

I can edit the login IDs and passwords for different web sites in Firefox. I found three different login names for  Model Ship World and deleted two that I don't recall ever using - or creating.

Mark,

I do not have "Always use private browsing mode" enabled for "Browsing History." I don't know if there are other "private" modes.

Any further suggestions for getting auto login to work on the forum? Nothing I have tried so far has gotten it to work.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem resolved itself a couple days ago.

I use the Thunderbird browser, and occasionally the programmers screw up something when they post updates. I had checked Thunderbird's list of auto logons and the user ID and passwords were all there, but the program just wasn't using them. They occasionally do stupid things to improve "security" that prevent users from doing things like opening PDF files and such. Eventually they receive feedback (although this is almost impossible to accomplish) and correct the problems. My guess is that is what happened with the auto logon failure.

There was a new update recently (Monday?) and auto logins started working on MSW and other forums. So that seems to be the answer.