Vietnamese junk entering Halong Bay from the China Sea by Alva004 - FINISHED - BOTTLE

Good afternoon:

The first thing would be to apologize for having written in Spanish... but that would be a lie.

I write in Spanish in Google translate, I copy the English translation and I always have it.

Let's see if this tenth attempt goes well and if not don't blame me and see if someone with more knowledge in this tells me what can happen and how to solve it, thanks.

I have already identified the problem every time I edit two or three paragraphs, I have to go image by image and click to edit, all of the above is passed from English to Spanish.

I'm going to see if I can do it in one fell swoop, and if it doesn't work, I give up.

Let's do it on an eleventh try.

The junk is possibly one of the oldest known sailing ships, having been documented to appear in 600 BC and is still in use in many parts of Southeast Asia.

The technique of manufacturing watertight compartments from Chinese junks.

The hull has a short stern and no keel. They were the signature ships of the China Sea and were used by both Genghis Khan and Kublai Khan in their attempts to conquer Japan. It was produced both for war and for trade. In the 9th century AD. C., Chinese junks transported goods to Indonesia and India.

Its sails are made of thick fabric joined with reeds, which gave it great stability and great thrust. The rudder was removable and higher than in common ships, which allowed it to navigate in shallow water.

It was one of the favorite ships for piracy on those shores.

They were typical throughout the Asian area, with subtle morphological differences between them, but the essence is the same in all of them.

I was able to make this boat from plans, which was a real relief for me, because of the ease of having all the measurements, mast angles, deck accessories, etc. once its size has been adjusted to the bottle.

It was my fourth boat and I hadn't officially finished it yet, so I hope to do it here.

He met problems and challenges as they arose and relied on imagination and invention to get him through.

They are missing because some images have been lost but I think the most important thing is.

I'll try to explain the process as best I can, but don't forget to use Google translate.

1.jpg.5fa0d5068f0836d644fcf3bd0d57345f.jpg

Thais is the plan I usted.

3.thumb.jpg.8b0bfadd9f6e69aac2c75c8fe0384c2d.jpg

The technique regarding the hull is the hull divided into two to be able to access the inside of the bottle.

4.thumb.jpg.4ef2493aa45422763f45beb7cba3ec3f.jpg

Solid hull, we cut the main shape with a fret saw, which we carve with knives, files and fine-tune with sandpaper.

5.pulgar.jpg.a16460e63faee16e00385db1a3b4f9ea.jpg

Scroll saw and try to get as close as possible to the shape and curves of the ship.

6.pulgar.jpg.0e4e94216dc7c44e3a1bc19e6785f39e.jpg

There's a lot of work left on that hull, and pictures are missing but it's all razor and sandpaper work.

8.thumb.jpg.402041b27080c61454c31e68518e57dd.jpg

The different forecastles and sterncastles are also well prepared following the plan.

With some tinted and adjusted polo sticks we will make the tops and simulate the planking scratching the stick with a pointed tool, not sharp, I used a fine nail to improve the point.

7.pulgar.jpg.307a465811de3519c5b58fd8c66fb7ba.jpg

We have advanced in the hull, the decks and the masts, all following the dimensions of the plan, we have painted the hull inspired by a photo on the internet in which one appears with red sails.

We also have the keel made

The masts have pins at their base that penetrate their respective holes in the deck.

It facilitates the work and at the time of assembly the ventral part will only be cut one or two millimeters so that it does not collide with the glass roof of the bottle and to be able to assemble them.

9.pulgar.jpg.71a5537167edcc578af3f9d78fd2f508.jpg

Prepare a mold to give the sails a little curvature to simulate the effect of the wind, there are those who maintain that the sails of a junk or sampan do not bend due to the effect of the wind, If they are made of interlaced bamboo, you will not see the bulging effect of the air, if they are fabric, don't hesitate, they will bulge.

Well, the mold is made from Chinese skewer tips and, for the most part, ear swabs.

The fabric is adjusted, taking care to insert kitchen paper between the mold and the fabric.

The fabric is soaked with water and pva in equal parts and adjusted to the mold, we will always cut more fabric than necessary after adjusting the cut.

10.pulgar.jpg.615361813cb6b94a2a02c89f1ce26336.jpg

Once dry, the crossbars are made by sharpening toothpicks with sandpaper to sharpen them.

12.thumb.jpg.872ed8fe28be6c6f74859e91734c8180.jpg

The  Sails are already configured to suit you, exactly the same as the plan, they are sewn to the mast, thread and needle and we reserve them for when they have to be finished.

Cheers

7.jpg

Excellent work so far!  You have chosen a very interesting subject!     

I will follow your build as I work on my own junk ship project (see link below)!  And thank goodness for Google translate.  😃

Edited by Glen McGuire

Alvo, the model is one we don't see often and looking good.

Please use Google translate to post in English.  MSW, is an English language site.

Alvo, el modelo es uno que no vemos a menudo y se ve bien.

Utilice el traductor de Google para publicar en inglés. MSW, es un sitio en inglés.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good again, explain to me what happens, I use the google translate Spanish to English, I copy and paste the text in English... I put a lot of effort into it because I'm not used to it, I know it's a forum in English and I've read the rules.

I need to know if something is happening, because making an effort that doesn't work out doesn't make sense.

Does it appear in English or Spanish?

Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Alva004 said:

Good again, explain to me what happens, I use the google translate Spanish to English, I copy and paste the text in English... I put a lot of effort into it because I'm not used to it, I know it's a forum in English and I've read the rules.

I need to know if something is happening, because making an effort that doesn't work out doesn't make sense.

Does it appear in English or Spanish?

Thanks.

Whatever you did for this reply was OK. Something happened on your first post for this thread. 

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I have no idea what happened either, Alva.  The first post here... the long one is in Spanish, not English.  Your other posts are fine.  It is possible that Google Translate crashed or had issues.  I've seen that in the past where if the text is too long, it won't translate.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good morning everyone.

Last night I tried, for three times, to do the subject again and indeed Mark, there comes a time when I don't know how or why, despite having written in English, the Spanish is converted, even some paragraph comes out in both languages mixed. This afternoon I try an idea I've had to see if it works.

But the problem is the size of the theme.

Thanks.

On 11/8/2022 at 23:17, Alva004 said:

It is impossible for me.

Regretting it very much, I am not able to put order with the translator. I give up, please admin delete this topic.

Since I don't do it image by image using the answer option so that they don't interact with each other.

I can't find a way to translate everything into English.

I'm going crazy, the machine beats the man.

All the best.

18 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Yo tampoco tengo idea de lo que pasó, Alva. La primera publicación aquí... la larga está en español, no en inglés. Tus otras publicaciones están bien. Es posible que Google Translate se bloquee o tenga problemas. He visto que en el pasado, si el texto es demasiado largo, no se traducirá.

Mark...I laugh so as not to cry, now I have managed to get the longest one and two or three others to come out in English...and the ones that used to come out in English are now in Spanish.

Wait, I'll try at some point, try again, to see if I'm lucky because today I'm exhausted with attempts.

Greetings.

I see you got the first post fixed... great job!!!   As for quoting and the quote converts, don't worry about it.   If need be, we can always scroll up to the referenced post.  

Medals?  We don't but yes, you deserve one for the effort.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi:

Let's check if I really have the problem under control with Google translate, for my own good I hope that if... otherwise I'll have a serious nervous breakdown.

Yesterday I had a terrible time and since it's hard for me to give up, I don't stop and I don't stop...

13.thumb.jpg.f9627c4139c53a931cabc683f0b29a0e.jpg

I get involved with the small details, which appear on the plan, all in wood and then painted.

You can check two things, the first, how much I still have to learn and improve, the second, my mental instability, nobody in their right mind presents, in a level forum, what pretends to be the grating of the ship's hold, I would hide it without hesitation and I would pray that it would go unnoticed.

The other piece is the front of the bow keel, well that one has a fair approval.

14.thumb.jpg.36716c6b2509b93e55fb469014be89b9.jpg

15.jpg.e010be49cb440e837971772ba3fc23ec.jpg

Windlasses, anchor, keel lift rod, etc.

The best thing to not lose them is to have them together.

16.jpg.383f30f63f72b26fce041f723bc7986f.jpg

With foam we make the upper plank after three attempts to make it out of wood and without hitting the correct curvature, as easy as it is... but then I didn't know.

We only put the upper plank, it has another smaller one below but it would bother us when we make the sea.

17.thumb.jpg.4046db3643fc5d4f504521dda80e5f1a.jpg

We check that we are doing well with the size, behind it is the bottle in which I plan to insert it.

For the less observant, I have a problem... I wish it was just one... I like to fill the bottle to the millimeter and when I say to the millimeter it means to the millimeter, in fact it is the space that remains free when I finish it between the bow and the glass inside and the tallest candle with the inside point of the bottle.

We have also drilled the sticks that are inserted in the upper part of the gunwale, which should be strakes...there I will anchor the shrouds and maneuvering rigging. A knot is made with thread around it that fulfills a double function, simulating the knotting of the mast in its place and reinforcing the stick weakened by the hole to the tensions that it will withstand.

18.thumb.jpg.8c76efc5e4e9e16cbd6588e2e914f59e.jpg

20.thumb.jpg.ecd8c3637da3bf3ba3c01c0359a1b435.jpg

We put the rudder in its place, put a pin in the main mast of the rudder, make a hole in the hull and glue it with PVA.

And he asked me, if it is going to go submerged and it is not seen why I make the complete keel and the rudder as well.

The answer is obvious, because I know they are there.

21.thumb.jpg.0b33d2e0baa16487c446339d1a7b0c6a.jpg

We cut leftover threads, a task of maximum difficulty

Próximos pasos, preparar el diorama de la embarcación.

Saludos.

I can't believe it, this is desperate, the last two sentences have been passed into Spanish and the entire paragraph was in English.

I think it's just that bug...

I don't dare to edit it because yesterday the editions gave me a lot of trouble.

Those two phases below:

"Next steps, prepare the diorama of the boat.

Cheers."

Thank you Glenn, you are really very kind to me...the rush is clearly improvable, but I am a rookie with a lot of hope, little experience and as you have been able to verify with a lot of determination...so I think I have some future in this world of ship modellers.

All the best.

Alva,

I took two years of Spanish in high school 60 years ago.  Got a C my first year and a D my second;  bad grades. Fortunately the Engineering program at the University overlooked these!

Despite this I had no trouble understanding what you were trying to tell us with your Spanish sentence in your last post.

Roger

Alva,

I'm relieved and happy you are getting the translation problem sorted out.  The model looks great.  I don't recall ever seeing any Vietnamese models.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you very much Mark.

Something is still wrong and my head is upset, because it does not obey the most basic logic... if I copy a paragraph of three sentences from the translator in English and paste them... how is it possible that the first sentence comes out in English and the other two in Spanish?

Where human logic ends... Google translator begins.

And I don't dare to edit because everything can be changed, it already happened to me yesterday...thank goodness that today there have been two sentences...hopefully the next one will be perfect.

Something went wrong today as well and I don't know what it was... I wish I knew to put a definitive remedy.

I hadn't seen any Vietnamese junk before seeing the map, then yes... but Halong tours on the Internet.

Another greeting to you too.

I learned most of the vocabulary and was good at pronunciation.  I had real problems learning the grammar.  I am also good at relating Spanish Words to English ones. In 1972 the company that I worked for was working with a company named Stein et Roubaix in Bilbao.  I made 7 trips to Spain working with them to prepare bids for piping in power plants.

Roger

Hi Roger:

Our grammar is not easy at all, only the verb forms are crazy even for us.

It has always seemed more practical and easy to me, your language saves vocabulary.

The bad thing is that in my school days more than fifty years ago, the preferred language was French.

Very good food and drink in Bilbao

All the best.

Good afternoon:

Let's see if today it is possible that not a word in spanish gets through, I will be watching more than yesterday... but I still don't understand what can happen, it exceeds my logical and analytical capacity.

Today the idea is to show you how I made the sea for this model.

Yesterday I told you diorama and this heat is making me delirious, this boat does not have a landscape, it goes in principle for the bottle that you will see.

My strategy for today is few words and many photos... you're lucky you won't have to have an aspirin omelette for dinner because of my excessive verbiage.

770371994_138(3).thumb.jpg.b316fb7cc1cfb636236e2410fb03817a.jpg

The bottle, there will be time at the end to talk about it.

51.thumb.jpg.b79724dc8f63cc62ed0c42ee254157a8.jpg

46.thumb.jpg.cf21d289806fef3f6f3a9827c590c153.jpg

48.thumb.jpg.c8e3e749b927c620e526c50de06b38ae.jpg

51.thumb.jpg.b79724dc8f63cc62ed0c42ee254157a8.jpg

The white paper is a template that we have verified reproduces the oval of the tinted silicone that we have put in the bottle to simulate the depth.

There are no photos of the process but you will see them.

If everything is fine, I usually measure six times and cut one, the boat will be one millimeter on each side with respect to the interior glass and the mast will enter the neck of the bottle half.

53.thumb.jpg.04fe74a6df371b1152440a423a121fd3.jpg

Everything we're going to need is here...

Focus your attention on a template made with plastic sanded from the paper one, you can see the exact position of the helmet in another template below.

The plastic template is surrounded by a twine thread two or three millimeters thick glued, it is the one that limits the height and expansion of the silicone.

Determines the working zone of our sea.

54.thumb.jpg.c0be600a1adee833868349884c526dac.jpg

My method is always to glue wood against wood, that's why I make a small square, sometimes a strip, with two glued wooden sticks that fit into the holes in the hull.

55.thumb.jpg.63ac27cae103310642bae36fb73712fc.jpg

In this image you can see that the hull has been wrapped in kitchen plastic, which you cannot see and it is very IMPORTANT that you remember to remove the board from the bottom of the hull, wrap it and finally nail the board back in place by drilling the plastic .

One thing that I have done for the first time, I always use tinted silicone, but this time to test how it works against an already tinted background, I have tried to glue the outline of the helmet with transparent silicone to see if I get a deeper effect of the helmet.

I have also taken the opportunity to put the transparent silicone that will make the breaking wave of the bow in the plastic.

56.thumb.jpg.0e4db3fdbe83516d6dc9348cdf15f767.jpg

Silicone like two index fingers and three drops of color, to match the one already inserted... the idea is a deep Atlantic sea.

Stir to equalize and without beating so as not to introduce air.

We fill from the inside out, remember that we just glued the hull with silicone without dye... the entire oval flush with the twine that gives us the height.

They are simulated a little bit by distributing the unevenness that the sea creates and we place the bow plastic in the arched shape that we want the bow wave.

The next day.

59.thumb.jpg.de9a3272f7fd2ab012b4eaee7aa0ce02.jpg

60.thumb.jpg.097f8c1d241e58deeb97f1cb6f8d4988.jpg

61.thumb.jpg.fb0212baa8ab2c97f1ee9bb37814b8a0.jpg

62.thumb.jpg.5ca277f13b8796599961f0f3d661f27e.jpg

63.thumb.jpg.ad012648a5da7ae85aee18faf4fb06a8.jpg

64.thumb.jpg.98f42edc365c5a246cb4208368cd3640.jpg

66.thumb.jpg.bad2e11823c9d6260bdeb6f2fbb92d50.jpg

The board where the helmet goes in its place...

Not even hunger moves her from there.

There are no photos of how to put and paste the sea inside.

Only the twine is removed from the sea.

It is left glued on the sanded plastic.

The sea is rolled up with the plastic part facing out and enters alone.

It is supported on the side of the bottle and with a wire, or a drinking straw, drops of silicone are placed on the sea inside and a cord where the board goes.

The sea is dropped on it and it is leveled flush.

106.thumb.jpg.efd4530bf9c627deb84a5dff6745b394.jpg

103.thumb.jpg.bbf32967ab7bb548b00ff73c4953c9ab.jpg

104.thumb.jpg.b7f492c29b634d2e1c0904138ded6d97.jpg

105.thumb.jpg.30c7e80301ac7924fd32d4f01df17c4d.jpg

108.thumb.jpg.2b418bc56fc4ac3a54a6dc1cd3eb8f11.jpg

109.thumb.jpg.bd2e568628300c598b05f5cc0ac98268.jpg

114.thumb.jpg.6af47680d2832b3d2da01302b356c211.jpg

1516168402_138(1).thumb.jpg.b485f349053c81e4b7fdd8f2a303c77f.jpg

I promised little roll and a lot of photo, at least the second I have fulfilled.

Greetings.