Smith Island Crab Scraper by Mike Collier - FINISHED - Wye River Models

The Wye River Models Crab Scraper boat looks like a pretty good model. It very good plans and a great instruction book with a lot of good pictures of the different steps. I think it’s short some of the wood need to build the model, but that’s ok I’ll go to hobby shop and buy some. I’m looking forward to build this model because these are the kind of models that I want to build.

5E353DE5-77AB-425C-A9F3-BDCBE4B5AE48.jpeg

Yes, I like their kits, I will build more. I started to glue the two keel parts together when it wouldn’t line up, I looked at the precut keel and it was a little warped. I soaked the keel in hot water for 15 minutes,then clamped down tight to my rod building lathe. Then I traced out the side with the plans and graphite paper, then cut out with sharp carving knife.

05C79F60-EA63-466E-833F-EC88CB01BE94.jpeg

7613B1E1-67AC-4618-BDBA-F76CC4290C61.jpeg

Thanks for starting this log. I just bought two Wye River kits. The Round Stern and the Shrimp Trawler. I wanted to build some coastal Carolina work boats. These seem to be nice looking models when finished and close to what I wanted to build. I hope to start my very first log on this site with the Shrimp Trawler in the next few weeks (when the weather turns cooler here in North Carolina).  I’m not concerned with any short supplies or weak instructions, it’s part of the challenge in this hobby IMO. I also have a full supply of wood and brass to cover most anything.

Good Luck! I’ll follow along.

Previous Builds - Spray, Bluenose; Lady Nelson, Amati; J Class Sailboat, Mamoli; Pen Duick, Artesania Latina

Mike, If your not aware, check out The Model Boatyard website. John Earl documented his build of the Crab Scraper. I love his detail work. His scratch built accessories are amazing. I’ve been reading all his work boat builds for ideas on building accessories for my Wye River models. Life rings, fire extinguishers, captain chairs, baskets, you name it, he has done some very creative work.

Bill

Previous Builds - Spray, Bluenose; Lady Nelson, Amati; J Class Sailboat, Mamoli; Pen Duick, Artesania Latina

Still working on the bottom planking, slow progress but will get it done. Some of the areas near the front and back the planks need to be slightly twist, so I cut the planks to length soaked in hot water until the planks could be twisted then I used CA glue and held the planks down until the CA sets. Seems to work ok.

70F9C171-DFF3-489E-971A-37FA7E8D7095.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! Looks like it’s ready to go fishing!

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)