Vasa By 72Nova - FINISHED - Airfix - PLASTIC

The Fore course is just about complete, working on the martnets at the moment, I fabricated six hole euphroe blocks for the crowfeet and once I complete the starboard side, I'll remove the yard, rig the lift tackle pendants and reinstall the yard and clean up some loose lines.

Michael D.

20230313-195013.jpg20230313-195318.jpg

Thank you Marc I appreciate the compliment. I've always used just regular tissue paper and the results have always pleased my eye, I would imagine the Silkspan would be no different when making furled sails but might be a better choice for one wanting full billowing sails as it will hold up better when shaping them? Thanks for the likes.

Michael D.

Guess I could've been a little more specific, my bad Marc, white tissue paper I picked up at Michaels...Item # 10272087,  stuff you'd use for stuffing gift bags etc.

Michael D.

Good day Michael!

Looks Fantastic! Great!

All the best!

Kirill

Michael,

Why didn't You make topsail furling like this?

It looks like ,not the first time( not the first Vasa ,not first galleons), people try to avoid any possible ways  making this pure style of 16-early 17th topsails furling ... which makes me crying every time... again not! :((( :)))... don't understand why?... it is so specific thing in topsails furling for this time...details You could read in Harland book "Seamanship in the age of sail", 

a0724-M-combi.jpg

Screenshot_20230316_215155_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230316_215121_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230316_215554_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230316_215623_Gallery.jpg

Edited by kirill4

Thank you Kirill, regarding the topsail furl, besides I just forgot, I'm not accustomed to furling them that way but perhaps I can fake it by installing a furled vertical section in the center and have not to redo the simulated clews, whats your thought on this?

Michael D.

Michael,

You just read my mind! :)))- fake furled vertical section! I think it will work as need!:)

All The Best!!!

Kirill

On the pictures, looks like clews rising up from the mast top platform to the lead blocks on the yard?

I see what you mean in the last photo but the paintings do not show the clews furled that way. I'm reluctant to redo the clews at this point since those lines are secured but it still might be conceivable for one  to gather the center of sail in a vertical fashion and bring the clews outward where I have them now in a real case scenario, I'll mock up a center section in a few days when I return and see how looks.

Michael D

Well I mocked up the old-fashioned top sail furl and I must say while far from perfect it doesn't look too bad for a fake job despite not being spiral furled, still undecided if I want to use the clews or not.

Michael D,

20230321-141958.jpg20230321-141821.jpg

Thank you Marc.

Completed the fore course lifts, the blocks are 3mm in length and the pendants are hung from the masthead. Up next will be belaying some loose lines, parrel tackle and rope, buntlines etc before moving back to the bowsprit area. Thank you for comments.

Michael D.

20230321-181041.jpg

Michael,
 I dare say, you are the first person in my memory who tried, and by the way, very successfully and very authentic for the 17th century, depicted retracted topsails !!!  My respect and respect!  Great job!!!

A couple of things:  I see the super-fine stringer you wrapped around your tops; I’m not sure whether it’s wire or painted thread, but the scale effect is awesome.  Nice detail.

Also, I’m taking note of your beakhead railing, which is very well done.  I’m not sure why I hadn’t really registered this before, but it looks great!

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Good day,

I would like to add,

how" right "/correct coiled ropes were made!

Great job!

I appreciate the likes gentlemen. Marc I just used thread for that added detail on the top . For awhile I had pondered whether or not to rig the stay tackle, the winding or the garnet tackles are appropriate for this time frame and I chose the latter. The pendant is .45mm line, the same as the shrouds, the runner is .30mm line and the fall is 60wt thread and is hooked to the mainstay collar, I do like the look of the added detail.

Michael D.

20230326-100635.jpg

20230326-083634.jpg

20230326-090244.jpg

20230326-083714.jpg

Hello again,

Don't know if you will be interested in this, but I have a suggestion. It's about martnets, which you may want to replace with both functional and iconography-compatible ones: make a combination block (i.e. euphroe-single sheaved block) as in the diagram by Ab Hoving below. Look at the graphic in my post #213 on St George and replace everything you will see against the sail with your new block. The double block fixed to the stay (or to the fighting top) remains. Done.  It shouldn't be any great earthquake.

image.jpeg.387253dc532878abbe8814525ecc2e22.jpeg

Edited by Waldemar

• 3 weeks later...

I checked out your St George log, quite impressive to say the least and I had wished I had found it earlier, trust me I thought long and hard about doing the conversion but in the end I decided it was just too tedious , reason being the sharper angle created by lowering the fall beneath the lower top would foul up the run of the crowsfeet and since they are glued to the sail that was out of the question but thanks as always Waldemar I really appreciate your suggestions.

Currently working on the Mizen mast/Lateen yard and sail, still in the early furling stage and once that phase is complete the martnets and parrel will be next, the blocks are 1.5mm. Thanks for looking.

Michael D.

20230413-164132.jpg

20230413-164411.jpg

Okay, thanks at least for considering it. Under the watchful eye of Kirill and others, and with your common sense approach, I'm sure all will go well, as it has so far. I'm watching with interest too, as this is probably the only reasonably active build log from 'my' time and place at the moment. Good luck 🙂.

For the most part the Lateen sail is at its final shape and the parrel is completed , the ribs measure out to about 2.5mm and the 2 hole dead eye at 1.5mm, I believe the Dutch used a double block instead but I'm happy with this arraignment at this scale. Still much work left in this area before setting the Mizen mast in permanently.

Michael D.

20230415-151847.jpg20230415-152623.jpg

I had been going back and forth between how I wanted to display the martnets, taught or slacked off a bit, I chose the latter as I just liked the look better and I think they turned okay, I used 100wt thread led thru a 1.5mm double block at the mast head, once I finish the portside marnet I'll tune up the sail by softening the creases created from handling.

Michael D

20230418-172000.jpg

Made some more progress on the Mizen mast, the Crojack yard is installed, I used a 2mm block for the sling and 1.5mm blocks for the brace pendants and lifts/sheets, rigging the parrel strop was a little challenging with the Lateen yard in the way and looking back it would've been a lot easier to mount the Crojack yard first , also completed the lower Mizen stay and lanyard. Up next I need to rig the lower Mizen shroud lanyards to tighten up the Mizen stay a bit more before I move on to the main top gallant halliard and crowsfeet.

Michael D.

20230422-150315.jpg20230422-150423.jpg20230422-145930.jpg20230422-150000.jpg20230422-132509.jpg20230422-150058.jpg

Edited by 72Nova