Tilting mount for Proxxon Vise for MF70

I have seen a few logs that have a tilting mount adapted for the MF70 and its vise.   From my search on the web most tilting vises sold commercially are too high (3 and 1/2 inches is the lowest I have found) to work well with the MF70's range.  So I am assuming most of these mounts are home made.  

I would want to purchase one and would be happy to pay for materials and labor for anyone who could build one of these of me.  I am sure this item would be in demand by many other modelers on this site who own the MF70.  

Please feel free to PM or post.  I do have a design already drawn up with specs.  

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris, 

I’ve been actively searching for the same thing. So far I keep coming back to this angle plate that @No Idea uses: https://www.renishaw.com/shop/Product.aspx?Product=R-PCA-135075-12-6

I’ve checked the tilting angle plate from Sherline but the mount holes are not the correct width apart (1.5”) as far as I can tell. I’ve also seen some adjustable angle plates that I think are for optics but I question their rigidity. 

I’m still window shopping but I think I’ll be asking for the Renishaw for Christmas if I don’t find a better solution.

Hi

I'll chime in here as I've got one and can probably help. This is what the part looks like when attached to a Proxxon vice - its very small and this is the 6mm version of the tool.

IMG_4928.thumb.jpeg.8026e3f0613f094ca4afeb295b98a495.jpeg

IMG_4925.thumb.jpeg.313246b239dd97683feffe43a8ed2cc3.jpeg

This part is designed for the scientific industry for checking accuracy etc.  It's strong enough to hold wood securely but I have no experience of machining metal using this part.  My thoughts are though that I probably wouldn't do this - I'll just stick to wood.

When its closed shut the two mating surfaces are not quite parallel and I solved this by placing 2 - 6mm studs in the holes shown and then adjusted them until the 2 faces were exactly parallel.  They are simply held in place with a medium thread locker.  This means that I don't have to worry about any adjustment once closed and I haven't taken the vice off of the angle plate since fitting.  The 2 lower studs with the slots in secure the vice to the plate.

IMG_4926.thumb.jpeg.2674dd6fb40058a3745ccb642102501a.jpeg

Here's mine attached to the tooling plate on my Sherline mill

IMG_4922.thumb.jpeg.ddcac7feef4f4eea492dd7d868604d8b.jpeg

Its held down by 2 - 6mm bolts that are supplied with the vice.  I drilled some extra holes into the tooling plate and tapped them out. These really make switching the vice around very easy.

IMG_4923.thumb.jpeg.24d632fc3457d696e4afed01680ce9bc.jpeg

IMG_4924.thumb.jpeg.51bdd28eea32a8e4a9d497808fd4ead2.jpeg

This can easily be fitted to a Proxxon MF70 mill but remember that you already have less head high between the table and cutter so you will loose another 25.50mm between these 2 points.  This is not an issue on the Sherline as it has a much taller head height.

Renishaw do not keep these parts in stock so if you do order one you will probably have to wait a few weeks for delivery.  Its worth giving them a call to see what they can do.

I hope this helps - Mark :) 

My personal preference would actually be to use the smallest tool-makers vice available (1" = 25 mm jaw width), as used in EDM to hold electrodes. They sell quite cheaply, I think around 40€/USD and are precision-ground on all surfaces. They have holes tapped M4 for attaching them. You can make yourself two brackets from L-shaped aluminium or steel profile with matching holes at exactly the same height to take M4-screws to go into the tapped holes in the vice. Holes in the other shanks allow you to bolt it down onto the table of the MF70 or wherever. With the help of angle-gauges or a protractor, you can set the desired angle.

The advantage of this is that you loose less height under the spindle than with the above type of 'sine-plate' (well, it's not exactly one, but looks a bit like it).

I made myself a slightly more elaborate version with the brackets in one piece for easy set-up: 

image.png.b91059cac0d6e479ad750303135f756e.png

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...