CNC used for making parts for ship parts building?

I wonderred if not more people used a CNC machine for making model ship parts?

And if it is not worthwhile to make a seperate forum for this like 3D and CAD.

This to share experiences, plans, drawings etc....

I do use it quite regularly. My set up:

Sainsmart prover XL 3040

Vectric aspire 11

Hans.

I’ve been eying a CNC for quite some time now, but have been hesitant to pick one up (mainly because I don’t know if ky expectations are in line with what I’m willing to spend). I would love to hear what people are using;

I’m also very curious if anyone can point out tips or tutorials for using flip jigs and double sided milling. I’m not certain I want to develop the skills needed to turn various columns and similar. Originally I was looking at 4-axis machines but I’m not ready for that investment and I think a flip jig would solve it.

How do you like the prover XL?

I like the prover very much. For the money its absolutely giving value. I started with the 3018 but found that too 'lightweight' and sold it off to buy the 3040.

I use flip over technique. so I design two sided and turn the piece on the table. Easy, once you know how to do this.

Just some random pics to show you.

20220427_140833.jpg.62d94e2d902ad16a524bc52639628b47.jpg20220430_140746.thumb.jpg.21ab3fd36a822272307b9ee9746c442f.jpg20220501_170910.thumb.jpg.1b0f747bd828843f7f88bf6d338606ed.jpg20220716_154040.jpg.63588501bca627007a8cd663824ffb20.jpg20210309_155107.jpg.b98dac29f52a76c0bc07d4770c710664.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 9:44 AM, YankeeD said:

I wonderred if not more people used a CNC machine for making model ship parts?

And if it is not worthwhile to make a seperate forum for this like 3D and CAD.

This to share experiences, plans, drawings etc....

I do use it quite regularly. My set up:

Sainsmart prover XL 3040

Vectric aspire 11

Hans.

I've been using a 3D printer to produce detail parts in PLA. I guess of you want metal part then CNC is the way to go

I thought about 3D printer before but got told that smaller details tend to vanish... I mean details around 0.1mm and up.

As resolution of home 3D printers are not that good.

• 1 month later...

I’m learning the Sain Smart 3018-PROVer CNC machine, I intend to use it for engraving wood.  For my riverboat project I’ll use the router configuration to make a sign with the name of the boat.  I picked it because it can be ordered with a laser and a router.  I wanted a small machine with lead screws and the Prover can be upgraded if my needs change.  

P1050390.jpg.a531e46142c49c3086e0104d493cd29d.jpg

I’m also learning QCADCAM to create .DXF files (drawing) and .NC files (G-code).  I made a simple icon drawing (in mm) and created both types of files.

To test the laser configuration, I imported the .DXF file into Lightburn.  Lightburn converts the drawing into G-code and controls the CNC machine to reproduce the drawing in wood.  After some experimentation I was successful.  You can create drawings in Lightburn or import drawing files (Lightburn is excellent for lasers).  

To test the router configuration, I used the G-code file (.NC) with control software to operate the CNC machine to etch the drawing in wood. And it worked - although it took me a week of frustration (from learning the software & making mistakes) to get the different software to work together.  I tried several open-source machine control software; Candle (came with Prover), USG, and OpenBuilds Control.  They all work but I think they prefer files with metric dimensions. 

I’m happy to see that everything works.  But I now realize I will need to perform a bunch of tests and do some configuration tasks.  I also have to look into dealing with wood smoke from the laser and vacuuming dust from the router (I hadn’t thought about that until I used it).

PXL_20221124_030950439.jpg

Completed Build:   King of the Mississippi by Cleat

For fine detail, you need a resin 3D printer. I have a 4K resolution one, and I'm presently printing passenger car sides in HO (1/87.1), with well defined scale 1" hemispherical rivet heads and 1/4" layers between steel side and trim.