Help needed

Hi All,

Please be patient with me ,first time posting. I often sit and drool over model ships and cannons. Can somebody tell me how wide internally the room /cabin below would have been ? and the support where the officer is having his drink topped up ,do i presume there was another one further to the right. 

what i would love to find out is how big the actual area is ,and do i presume there was a partitioning  wall further to the left .full cabin size and where the supports would have been and how many ? 

I hope this makes sense ? 

many thanks

Mark.

image.jpeg.078d9ab6843edf45c08da06e15e650b6.jpeg

This might help. I'm assuming the painting is aboard HMS Victory on the night before Trafalgar. Wikipedia says Victory had a beam of 51ft, so likely sort of close to that. 

The Admiral's Dining Cabin | HMS Victory | Nelson's Flagship - 30

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Mark, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard.

The Elephant had a beam of 46 feet nine, the HMS Vanguard was also a 74 gun third rate ship had a beam of 46 feet ten. You could check out HMS Vanguard kits and her plans. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Elephant_(1786)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vanguard_(1787)

Off original plans it measures approximately 27 feet wide in this cabin.

Head clearance under the beam is approximately 5 feet.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

7 minutes ago, AON said:

ff original plans it measures approximately 27 feet wide in this cabin.

Head clearance under the beam is approximately 5 feet.

Alan, do the plans show the supporting columns and their location? That was another of Mark's questions. 

Welcome to MSW

If you research Elephant 1786 at the RMG Collections site, there are a dozen low resolution contemporary plans including deck plans and inboard profile that you can use to get exact dimensions in all three axes.  There is also a full set of high resolution drawings of 74's from the same period at the Wiki Commons site which includes  Hannibal 1786, Venerable 1784,  Victorious 1785, and Theseus 1786. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

6 hours ago, captain cook said:

do i presume there was a partitioning  wall further to the left

The openings at port and starboard aft are to the quarter galleries.  They were small and mostly were officers' latrines. 

Where the captain's cabin was the width of a whole deck, I wonder why he would need two privies? 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good morning. I have the plans of both the Elephant aand Goliath.  I don't recall seeing the location of the columns shown but will look again after breakfast.

I believe the quarter galleries were used by all the officers... on both sides.

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

No it does not.

I had to clean up the resolution to see the marks were numbers and not columns!

This is part of the Elephant deck plan.

cabin.jpg

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

I thought you might find the below  transcription of the original contract for the Elephant 1786 which was originally written in 1781 and which has the as-built scantlings that were added to the contract at time of her launching.  Let me if it this doc file opens OK for you.  If it does not, please feel free to  PM me with your email address (mine is in my profile) and I can email it as an attachment as a doc or pdf

Allan

CONTRACT Elephant 74 gun 1781.docx

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Be aware that most paintings were by artists who were probably never on board, particularly during battle. Furniture of any kind was stowed below in action; the less sources for splinters, the better. Officers and captain would have been above on the quarter deck, not sitting comfortably at a table with a tablecloth, yet!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv