Anyone have any experience with an on-line company called Model Monkey?  I am looking to upgrade the white metal castings of the carronades and trucks for the 1:64 scale Model Shipways Syren.  I would like to go with brass but the cost to upgrade to all brass carronades would be very expensive.  Model Monkey has 3D printed ones that look very detailed but I am not sure.  Feedback from anyone on this company would be greatly appreciated!

I assume you are speaking of the vendor at Shapeways? I have ordered from a different Shapeways vendor without issue, other than the slow delivery time coming from Canada -- not the vendor's fault. Of course, that experience may not hold true for Model Monkey -- have you tried an internet search for other builds that have used his products?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

I was also impressed with their service.  If you are concerned, I would suggest ordering just one to see if you like the product before committing to the full complement.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Have you considered resin printed barrels?  I paid $12 for 18 barrels in two sizes of barrels to the 3D printer I found on line where-in I supplied a 3D drawing of the barrel shape that was appropriate for that particular era.  Took a few days but they came through with no problems.

Allan

589948648_3Dprinted3.thumb.JPG.d3d3a0ea4484f56921cf75831fc53a6f.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The hard part for me was the drawings in 3D.  I am not bad at 2D but a total neophyte at 3D so needed a LOT help from a fellow member here at MSW.  What took him an hour took me closer to 10 hours, probably more. If you do not do 3D I bet a fellow member here would be willing to help.  It would be great to share a drawing for any member to use.    I can do the same with the ones I have for long guns for late 17th century.   I learned that a drawing of a particluar gun pattern can be scaled as needed by the printer which is a big help.  Good luck!

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you everyone for your feedback!  I agree that 18 barrels for $12 sounds like a real deal.  Unfortunately I have no access to 3D software.  The Model Monkey sells just the type I need for $26/8 units (see attached photo) + S&H.  I would need a total of 16.  I am very interested to know per Allen's suggestion if there's anybody out there who would be willing to share 3D drawings - especially for 1/64 naval figures. Chris Watton has introduced some figures on his website and they are very detailed and paint up very well.  We've come a long way since the days of cast details in white metal!

Carronade 24 lbs.webp

Dennis,  see PM associated with this post.  These 18 carronades were turned from BRASS by A.J. Fisher way back in the 1960’s.  Yes, they are 60 years old.  Their bores are even drilled concentrically.  Dimensions to 1:64 scale are posted in the 2nd photo are posted below.  The black finish is an “oxidized” finish applied by A.J. Fisher.  They are actually all the same size despite the photo.

Roger

13D9BBF5-816E-4638-BB62-776E73A6ADBE.thumb.jpeg.4daa609d4bb5ce2a23fa5a395cf81278.jpegFF89D73A-5034-4634-8A7C-60BA189DD4D3.thumb.jpeg.9bc41a04a6eaf441471234d47bcfd4a1.jpeg

Edited by Roger Pellett

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to follow up on my previous question about Model Monkey as a vendor.  I ordered 2 sets of 8 carronades to replace the castings for the Brig Syren from Model Shipways.

The carronades arrived in good shape (after only 3 days from order!) and are quite detailed and paint up nicely.  Very happy with the order.  Thanks again for everyone that responded.

Dennis

PXL_20230115_175300113_2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dennis,

Sorry to chime in after the fact, but I know Model Monkey personally, we are both North Carolinians and both U. S. Military vets. I have purchased parts from him and his quality and accuracy are excellent. I'm glad you were able to find his products suitable for your use. 

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA