Paasche Airbrush TG-3AS

Go to solution Solved by David W,

I need a new airbrush as my Iwata and a siphon feed model never made the move to the new house. Oh well, hope someone can use them! I would love a new Iwata but the $$ outlay today for not much use now other then building models is not necessary. I've looked at the real low buck airbruses and have had passing thoughts but.... that is unless someone has a good 50+/- buck or so choice. This leads me to my question as to whether anyone has used the Paasche TG-3AS or as formally the 3F. It's around a 100 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WHH9W7B/?coliid=IEE1OHN87KR7X&colid=2H21MELLPPKUF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I would hesitate to buy an airbrush that has an integral cup.  A separate cup usually swivels a bit too so you can spray at slightly different angles.  It also makes cleaning easier.  Paasche airbrushes, which are very good, has models with separate cups.   Just my two cents.

25 minutes ago, ah100m said:

I would hesitate to buy an airbrush that has an integral cup.  A separate cup usually swivels a bit too so you can spray at slightly different angles.  It also makes cleaning easier.  Paasche airbrushes, which are very good, has models with separate cups.   Just my two cents.

That was the main reason I haven't pushed the magical "BUY" button yet

I have this airbrush and it's the best one for modelling that I have owned.  With so many attachments it does just about anything that I need.

I haven't found the fixed cup to be an issue as I just move what I'm airbrushing.  Its also very easy to clean and the double action works great.

Hi David, I have that Paasche Talon airbrush with 3 heads and have used it on several projects. The integral cup is a decent size and works fine. It can deliver really excellent results. I’ve had issues from time to time with paint not always flowing properly and getting gummed up in the needle, requiring some fiddling and careful cleaning. I’ve only used it with Vallejo airbrush paint and their flow improver.  

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

I have been using the Paasche VLS 3 for over thirty-five years.  Its is double action and is adaptable for very fine to wide heads and needles.  Its also siphon feed and has been great for small and large projects.  It takes a little to set up, but once its dialed in, its fantastic.  

Its also at a decent cost.  

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

All great comments. Sounds like that fixed cup really may not be the problem that I as well as AH100M were concerned with. Thanks

Now, guess I need to push that "BUY" button in the next day or so

Oh and while researching these air brushes, a couple folks have mentioned that Vallejo paint sometimes clumps and wont shoot right at times. I have mostly Tamiya paints and a wee bit of the pre change Humbrol so ...we'll see

I use Vallejo and I have no problem with airbrushing their paint.  Buy the air paints from them and not the brush on.  The air paints I have found still need thinning down.

I also use their flow improver and their own thinner  - It works great for me and they give good coverage too.

To get a bit ahead of the game.  No matter what the model (ships, armor, cars, aircraft) I only spray automotive lacquers (Duplicolor from Amazon) that I decant from the spray can and mix the colors myself.  No thinning necessary and they spray beautifully.  Easy clean-up with lacquer thinner.  Try it.  Cheap too.  They also have sanding primers (fills scratches) and thin primers in white, gray and red oxide.

1 hour ago, ah100m said:

To get a bit ahead of the game.  No matter what the model (ships, armor, cars, aircraft) I only spray automotive lacquers (Duplicolor from Amazon) that I decant from the spray can and mix the colors myself.  No thinning necessary and they spray beautifully.  Easy clean-up with lacquer thinner.  Try it.  Cheap too.  They also have sanding primers (fills scratches) and thin primers in white, gray and red oxide.

That will get you a bit ahead of the game, but if you really want to get way out ahead, quit buying hugely overpriced rattle cans and spraying the paint out of them to load your airbrush. Instead, use canned paints and thin them to suit. (1-Shot Lettering Enamel is especially good, although glossy and will require a bit of flattening solution.) Alternately, you can use tubed artists oils and acrylics, mixing your own colors (or buying ready-mixed, if you wish) and thinning with the appropriate spraying conditioners and solvents for use in your airbrush. In terms of quantity, rattle can paint is very expensive stuff.

I would beware of this airbrush.  Not because of the fixed cup.  I have several fixed cup Badger brushes - this is not the issue.  Check the link you sent, as it goes to Amazon and then to the Paasche store what appears to be the Paasche store that does not show this airbrush.  If you dig deeper you wind up at Micro-Mark site - and it is not listed there either. 

Search the brush name and model - it comes up to a direct link to Paasche at $209. 

I sincerely doubt the air brushes shown at Micro-Mark are actual Paasche brushes.  They have been guilty in the past of purchasing Chinese copies of various brushes and passing them off as legitimate.  It looks like they are back to it.

I doubt that you can buy a legitimate Passcche brush of this model number for the price you see advertised.

Avoid issues like this and find legitimate dealers for the brand you want.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

8 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

I would beware of this airbrush.  Not because of the fixed cup.  I have several fixed cup Badger brushes - this is not the issue.  Check the link you sent, as it goes to Amazon and then to the Paasche store what appears to be the Paasche store that does not show this airbrush.  If you dig deeper you wind up at Micro-Mark site - and it is not listed there either. 

Search the brush name and model - it comes up to a direct link to Paasche at $209. 

I sincerely doubt the air brushes shown at Micro-Mark are actual Paasche brushes.  They have been guilty in the past of purchasing Chinese copies of various brushes and passing them off as legitimate.  It looks like they are back to it.

I doubt that you can buy a legitimate Passcche brush of this model number for the price you see advertised.

Avoid issues like this and find legitimate dealers for the brand you want.

Kurt

Looks like I had best do that research of mine a bit deeper. If it's really a Paashe then there is a big difference in price. At $209 I would be in some Iwata or Harder & Steenbeck range units. Oh well, the weather is lousy so do have the time. Thanks Kurt👍

• Solution

Well. I did it with the Paasche TG-3AS Airbrush Set. Wandering other sellers, it appears that around a hundred dollars, give or take is the real world's market selling price, not the Paashe MSRP of $210. If it turns out to be counterfeit/junk, back it goes within my 30 day window. Outside of the big buck versions it appears to be the best bang for the bucks spent

16 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

MicroMark offers a Paasche single-action airbrush and for half the price what appears to be the identical item by MicroMark. The online catalog photos of the two airbrushes are identical. Could it be that one is a Chinese counterfeit, or is it just that they are pushing the MicroMark branded airbrush by showing an identical one marked up in price so shoppers will think they are getting a bargain buying the MicroMark one. If MicroMark is pulling this sort of thing, should they not be added to MSW's "rogues gallery" of pirate retailers?

27 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

MicroMark offers a Paasche single-action airbrush and for half the price what appears to be the identical item by MicroMark. The online catalog photos of the two airbrushes are identical. Could it be that one is a Chinese counterfeit, or is it just that they are pushing the MicroMark branded airbrush by showing an identical one marked up in price so shoppers will think they are getting a bargain buying the MicroMark one. If MicroMark is pulling this sort of thing, should they not be added to MSW's "rogues gallery" of pirate retailers?

I didn't seem to find what you referenced but a Paashe single action airbrush I did see on their website was a single action, siphon type and not what I will ever again own

Hmm..... interesting.   Where are the Paasche branded ones actually made?   MicroMark did cut deals with branded tools being made in China to have their logo/name on them.  I was in a local tool shop a few years ago looking for a new mill as my original one died.  I saw lathes from 3 different "brands" that looked alike.  They were as it turned out all made in the same factory in China and just rebraned.   All were the same price.   It was an education from the shop owner.          

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Paasche are US made.  They were always in the Chicago area.  Badger, Binks and Paasche used to be on the same block within sight of each other.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

12 hours ago, David W said:

I didn't seem to find what you referenced but a Paashe single action airbrush I did see on their website was a single action, siphon type and not what I will ever again own

See item #81018 Paasche H Series Single-Action Airbrush Set, airbrush painting set, for detailed airbrushing and coverage, H-3AS (micromark.com)

and

item #86112  MicroLux® Single Action Airbrush Set (micromark.com)

MicroLux Single Action Airbrush Set

H Series Single-Action Airbrush

One says Paasche and the other doesn't. Can you tell them apart otherwise? One is half the price of the other.

Looks like the Paasche gives you 3 different tips. Acrylics need the bigger nozzle than enamels and lacquers.  The Micro-mark probably has a medium tip, and if you spray acrylics, you'll be cussing the tool. Can you get a larger tip from Micro-Mark?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Duck said:

You can buy direct from Paasche (which I believe recently moved or is moving to Racine, WI) and they have some good looking deals on factory seconds:  https://www.paascheairbrush.com/clearance?page=1

Paul

That's interesting as a couple days ago the TG-3AS I noted/purchased above was $209 when I wanted to look at the air hose fitting sizes (1/8"BPS at gun end and 1/4"NPT at the compressor end). It's $112 on AMAZON currently. Either is a good price for a great air brush