Niagara by Alex-Ks1 - 1:7 Scale

I have tried Ad nauseam to post in the scratch-built area. It won't let me so I will do it here, untill a moderator can move it to the right area. or remove it all together.  I am building the US Brig Niagra , from scratch, This isn't your daddy's bathtub floater, it will end up being about 8 ft in total length.

most everything I will have to make by hand, but I have a full machine shop to make the Iron work . and a 3D printer to do other tasks.. This is the first sheet of plans , laid out on my 10 ft long work table 

boat 1.jpg

Edited by Alex-Ks1

26 minutes ago, Alex-Ks1 said:

untill a moderator can move it to the right area

Not sure what the issue could have been, but I have moved it for you. Good luck on your project!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I had the plans blown up 350 %. I will have to buy 5/8-inch-thick plywood and 1/4 inch 4X8 ft sheets. The lumber yard didnt have marine plywood, this is Kansas .  After the hull is made I put heavy epoxy paint inside the hull covering everything and lead weights for ballast, all my builds are watertight and will float.     More to come with photos . 

I got my plywood 5/8 inch thick, and did plotting of the shape of hull center and keel . Its a rough cut now, the fine cuts will be tomorrow, 

and I bought a new ply wood blade for my 7,1/4 inch circular  saw , naturally from ACE hardware its from china. no curff on the teeth, and in one pass it burnt up, it got red hot. I guess you get what you pay for .

you can get an idea of the size by my saw on the table, 

boat  2.jpg

boat 3.jpg

at this point I have the center section cut. and the keel and stem and sternpost. The plywood was so bad its causing me real grief, there are voids and loose layers, so I have to force glue in the layers and clap it down, the keel broke because of a rotten knot that was hiding under the first and last layer of ply. I will make a piece to fit in,  I put the rabbit cut in the bottom with a air disk grinder, and 40 grit disks, it took about 30 seconds on each side. 

boat 4.jpg

Hello Alex.  I am not aware of your location but if it will be of any help I have some photos of the Brig Niagara.

I was on the replica for a day cruise and banged my head quite a few times when down below.

She was quite shallow because of the sand bar entering or exiting the bay in which she was built.

Even at that they had to remove the guns to lighten her up more to clear and the British were there waiting but didn't realize she had no guns so didn't attack.

You might want to correct the spelling of the ship's name in the title... you're missing a letter.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

At this point I went back to the lumber yard for another sheet of plywood, there just as bad as the one I bought. So I have to use what I have. I have the keep on and clapmed in place and I made a 3 ft long clamp to hold the hull upright when working on it, and it keeps the wood str8 . it wont  warp this way.  

boat 5.jpg

boat 6.jpg

Go to your very first post and pick the three dots at the top right.

That will open a menu.

Pick edit.

You will see the title displayed and you can edit it.

Pick save.

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Now that all the frames have a bevel for planking on the front and rear I started on the stern , as you can see its a crowed photo but i have 2 right angles on each side crossed clamped . This way they are forced to be straight and at right angels to the center. the Metal square shows this.  

The frames still need a lot of detail work before planking .... Air tools work wonders 

boat 11.jpg

boat 12.jpg

I havent been doing to much on my build lately. even tryping is getting bad, my vision is on the way down on my right eye.

Ill explain , The left eye sees very well, color is good and focus is OK, I wear tri focals. The left eye is very blurry. New glasses wont help.

so I see a view on one side its good, move to the right its very blurry and fuzzy. I may have to give it up, the eye strain is getting worse.

If any one wants it you can have it all the plans too . Im just having to hard a time doing it. 

Have you seen an eye doctor?

I get an injection in my left eye every 9 weeks for going on 5 years now for one problem, and just had cataract surgery in both eyes last year.

If it weren't for my regular eye checkups I'd be blind permanently in the left eye and going ( but reversible) blind in the right by now.

As it is I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes except for a tiny spot just off centre at about 7:00 that is white if reading type (books) when I am tired, otherwise the other eye fills in the blank.

Alan O'Neill

That is terrible news.

Dumb question- if you wear a patch over the bad eye will the eye strain (headache) disappear?

I know for me the brain does wonders melding the images from both eyes. Possibly that is your next battle, removing the one blurry image from what the brain has to deal with.  Of course I am no doctor so this might be something to discuss with yours.

Alan O'Neill

• 2 weeks later...

Crap! I thought that might help. Don't tell my wife I was wrong... she's keeping score.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Now im at the bow gluing the first frame in place. the 2 steele right angle pieces clamped cross ways keeps the  frame and center in alignment . This will be done on each frame . Im still working on the stern area, its a pain in the butt. the plans are not clear on much, so I looked at a model being done here from a kit, that helped a lot, took photos to my phone to use at my shop.

boat 13.jpg

• 1 month later...