Cowl Ventilation Corsaro II

Go to solution Solved by John Ruy,

I’m building The Italian Yacht Corsaro II from a Corel kit and have been researching actual photos of the 1960 Yacht in an effort to make its appearance as accurate as possible. 

My question is regarding the Ventilation of this Yacht. I have photos of The Corsaro II both in harbor and racing at sea. I don’t particularly care for the appearance of the cowl ventilators that are provided with the kit and I would like to clean my model up a bit by capping the ventilators. It appears from the photos of the yacht in races that this would be a valid configuration. 

I would like your collective opinions…

Would capping the ventilators would be appropriate? I have not seen this model displayed this way and think it would be a way of making it more  unique. 
C5BD55A7-DEA8-4362-83A6-F3A3DFC6B713.jpeg.2da80cce17bf40039c3e45efa62ace82.jpegBB2CBD38-7B27-4AE3-8118-85B971B4EA90.png.a038d174dbb3d1f6ac4ccd84f8baa666.png
Your thoughts please…

Thanks

Edited by John Ruy

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

I must say that I'm personally a great fan of cowl ventilators, but I can see how they hardly add to the impression of a sleek and fast yacht.

If she raced with the vent trunks capped, then that's a valid way of presenting the model, however as Tom suggests, if you want to be truly accurate, you will have to display her racing if the vents are capped.

John

Agreed… I would like to display her with ventilators as a static display, as I don’t think I can depict her under sail given the size/scale of the sails. 

image.thumb.jpg.843ea276b26dd3c55ba54626cdf6755d.jpg
However, as you can see the ventilators supplied don’t accurately represent the ventilators as seen in the first photo above. Perhaps another source for accurately scaled ventilators would be a solution. 

Edited by John Ruy

11 minutes ago, TBlack said:

Besides in reality, there are 2 small ones up front, not one in the middle.

Exactly… That small deckhouse doesn’t seem right either. 
image.thumb.jpg.699f6d6158a0728f2e74dcc2f51499fa.jpg

I am having a hard time reconciling this kit. Needs more research… 

It looks to me like they're too tall and and too thin (the kit ones).   Hopefully there's something in the after market that would work.   As for the foremost one.... It needs to go.  

As for the deckhouse... the photo shows one that seems flat and low.   You might be able to modify the existing one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If she is racing the cowls would likely be turned away from the wind to take advantage of the more aerodynamic shape than have the scoop, capped or not, facing the wind.

This is just a guess based on VERY limited racing experience so hopefully other members with some racing experience can clarify. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I found this video on an Italian Site. The ventilators are definitely stowed while they are underway. Makes sense…
03F54B31-0354-4AA0-AD4B-71975936B641.thumb.png.304a7128901e8fd68e3585fe28439176.png

https://www.nauticareport.it/dettnews/barche_e_navi_depoca/corsaro_ii_1961-4808-6020/

Very interesting video to watch the crew working the sails. 

44 minutes ago, TBlack said:

Yes and you gotta be in shape to do it!

Tom

Yep… Young Buck recruits in the Italian Navy, playing tug of war with the wind. 

Edited by John Ruy

I want to thank you all, this has been a helpful discussion and has led me to a couple of confirmations and decisions. 
1. The parts supplied by Corel have got to go. (Just wrong 😑)

2. I will eliminate the forward center ventilator and shorten that forward hatch. 
3. I have ordered some Cowl vents to replace the Corel parts. 5/8” Cowl opening and an inch off the deck should be good. We will see…

Onwards 🍻
John

• Solution

Update…

Ordered Cowl Ventilators from Bluejacket and began building Dorade Boxes. 
D1FDCED9-158E-4B29-82D0-FD902A875723.jpeg.c89143295e6947ae5ca06430be74c743.jpeg

These should look much more appropriate. Here is the Ventilator look I am going for…

4798B6EF-4BA5-4E1D-A3CC-18FB92F3961F.png.c389021ff61091a541668fb9b0361aba.png

4 of 6 Dorade boxes are built…

FF516B1B-599D-4B5A-9D3B-DC3273829A88.thumb.jpeg.8dd29c2c7c12b0377ca2eb53382f9b09.jpeg

Here is a link to my Build Log. 

I am always looking for advice, if you are interested in following along please check It out. 😎

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...